Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
My friend's father has been employed as a subject matter expert on Urban Development for 40yrs and says - excepting a brief period in NYCs recent history - people typically move to cities for employment vice fun and fulfillment. Seems to make sense as sustenance and stability takes precedence over fun for most people, particularly those with families to look after.

The Antarctic is big, too, but I haven't figured out how to get up there yet. Am I supposed to quit now, sign a lease up there, and then try to find a job? Or stay here till I get a job up there and risk my Seattle landlord taking me to small claims court over early lease termination laws?
Is making a hate list of Seattle going to change anything? Some cities are just not a good fit for some people. It's different for everyone. Sometimes the vibe is just wrong for some but perfect for others. Life is short and there is probably a perfect city some place else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 PM

135 posts, read 164,551 times
Seattle is the worst city I've ever lived in.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
You obviously haven't lived in El Paso.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM

547 posts, read 506,803 times
You are not alone.

I Hate Seattle

Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Ha!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Pros- lots of Taco stands around, Highline Athletic Club, good cheap Asian good, Jefferson Park.

Cons- enormous amount of people moving here.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
El Paso is cheap, Seattle rent/real estate has surpassed LA, hence why it sucks more....and let's not forget the **** weather, traffic, and seattleites

Last edited by thatguy950; 06-15-2017 at 09:25 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
You are not alone.

I Hate Seattle
Wow, that is a classy link. Sounds like a bunch of high school seniors trying to compete who can be the rudest. Really, really juvenile. If most of these comments are actually coming from intelligent, mature adults I would be surprised.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 06-15-2017 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Manner, keep in mind that the Pike/Pine neighborhoods you are considering vibe in a different way than the areas near the freeway. Be great if you could get out here, get in temporary place and explore. I'm a big fan of going to the streets you think you might want to live, knocking on some doors and asking neighbors the good, bad and ugly.
Ride the busses, on different days and times. That will give you a more complete picture.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Bundled up with a scarf today and thick rain jacket and took a nice walk in the chilly, cold summer rain.. Brrr..

This would have been nice if it was January and not June-uary (as we call it in the Northwest).

Seattle's weather is crap.. Yes, I would take it over Boise or probably anywhere in the Upper Midwest, but that's about it. Boise is 3 months of hellish dry cold and endless blizzards in winter and 3 months of roasting hot summers.. Although, to be honest I don't mind the hot and fierce summers with advanced central A/C systems and cheap cooling costs they had in Idaho. It just sucks when you go outside at 2AM and its 80F. However, cold, chilly summers also kind of suck. Actually I would take hot and humid summers over cold and chilly ones. In Africa I got use to the weather even only have A/C available 3 out of the 7 days since the power was shut down every other day in the part of Ghana I was in. When I got back to the USA it took me time to adjust to being cold again. It was hard for me to use thick blankets as I would sweat. I actually started to get comfortable with just a thin sheet on me and adapted to the humidity and heat.

Lately, Seattle has had really only 2 months of summer. Just another strike.

The housing costs, insane communist government that has declared war on the huge IT companies here (oh boy this is fun Steve Ballmer vs Kshama Lenin-Sawant), homeless problem, traffic , and overburden city infrastructure is just some of the other areas that make Seattle mostly suck.

I love the beauitful, nature, mountains , water.. The Pacific Northwest is a great place to be a millionaire and buy a summer home. However, living here year round is just not that great. After living my whole life in the Pacific Northwest I know its time to move on.

The crappy weather was something I could tolerate, but the insane living costs, liberal insanity and cold and unfriendliness that now is prevalent, in addition to a soulless, cutthroat, backstabbing corporate culture where everyone is out to tear down the other guy is inspiring me to move on.

Very sad.. A Cascadian will always have a hole in his heart when he leaves the Cascades. Part of his heart will be left in those mystical mountains which everyone here seems to take for granted.

I am sure in 50 years the entire Cascades will be littered with condos and syringes just like the city of Seattle is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area