Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,915,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Someone will come along and rent your unit if you dont. Even with that increase, it's still just below average for Seattle rent, and a lot of people want to move here. I'd be willing to bet that if you leave they will replace the carpet and fix the toilet when you move out.
It wouldnt suprise me one bit if they would replace the carpet and fix the tiolet if I move out. That's wrong in my opinion to ignore me to fix the tiolet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:27 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
It wouldnt suprise me one bit if they would replace the carpet and fix the tiolet if I move out. That's wrong in my opinion to ignore me to fix the tiolet.
Well, again, if you decide to stay and pay the increase, you should write it into the contract that they have to fix the toilet and carpet. If they don't want to do that, they can reject your modification to the contract, and then you can move out. It would be great if you could get one of those nicer (& cheaper!) units out around Jackson Pk. But in the meantime, you and your friend in the building should report them for non-functional plumbing.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
Unfortunately, in Seattle, they don't have to give you a 60-day notice for a rent increase of over 10%, if it is for a yearly lease renewal.

If they are jacking your rent up to near $1,500, you've got three options: 1) renew, 2) negotiate a lower rent, or 3) move. For renegotiating, maybe make a starting offer of 10%, but set a cap you won't go over (15%?). Remind them you've been a reliable long-term tenant. You don't have to notify them you will not be renewing, you just have to vacate by the end of the lease.

Start looking for a new apartment NOW, however. You might look for a studio in Seattle or a one-bedroom north or south of Seattle (Tacoma, Renton, Burien/White Center, Everett, Lynnwood, etc.), if maintaining your current rent is a priority. You might be able to get a six-month lease, if you are still seriously considering buying a condo.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Unfortunately, in Seattle, they don't have to give you a 60-day notice for a rent increase of over 10%, if it is for a yearly lease renewal.

If they are jacking your rent up to near $1,500, you've got three options: 1) renew, 2) negotiate a lower rent, or 3) move. For renegotiating, maybe make a starting offer of 10%, but set a cap you won't go over (15%?). Remind them you've been a reliable long-term tenant. You don't have to notify them you will not be renewing, you just have to vacate by the end of the lease.

Start looking for a new apartment NOW, however. You might look for a studio in Seattle or a one-bedroom north or south of Seattle (Tacoma, Renton, Burien/White Center, Everett, Lynnwood, etc.), if maintaining your current rent is a priority. You might be able to get a six-month lease, if you are still seriously considering buying a condo.
OP doesn't have to move out of town to maintain his current rent, or even to get a cheaper place. S/he only needs to move some blocks north of the current location. Maybe in about 5 years, it might be necessary to move to Everett or Lynnwood, but for now, there's still some wiggle room in the Op's neighborhood or nearby.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP doesn't have to move out of town to maintain his current rent, or even to get a cheaper place. S/he only needs to move some blocks north of the current location. Maybe in about 5 years, it might be necessary to move to Everett or Lynnwood, but for now, there's still some wiggle room in the Op's neighborhood or nearby.
Im glad about that.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 PM

415 posts, read 489,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
The apartment unit you are suggesting near jackson park is much bigger than my unit and also much nicer and more modern than my unit. And it's cheaper than my current unit. Why would the landlord do steep increases when people have options??
That place sounds altogether nicer than where you currently live... and cheaper.

May be worth the effort of checking out and moving?

Maybe you'll even find the management more agreeable?

Old 06-21-2017, 04:08 PM

Zillow shows 24 one-bedrooms for $1,200 or less in Seattle. Here is one in the Northgate area: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Not a lot to pick from, however. Some are undoubtedly "urban one-bedrooms", which are basically studios, with a sleeping nook. (There are 177 one-bedrooms for $1,500 or less, showing that $1,500 is probably the new sweet spot.)

He could also, as I suggested, step down to a studio, if staying in Seattle at near to his current rent is his top priority. Here's a real studio (in Lower Queen Anne), not a micro, that is almost as large as the one-bedroom above: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...98_rect/10_zm/

He's also asked previously about buying a condo, in which case he might want to look for an interim location offering a six-month lease, which would leave him free to buy next winter, and lock in his housing cost going forward. Property taxes will be lower, however, if he looks outside Seattle (in Burien, for instance).

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 06-21-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM

The Bitter/Haller Lake area can also be worth looking at. For instance: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

The E-Line and 5x give quick access to Wallingford, Fremont, SLU, and Downtown.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,435,750 times
I wonder how many more Californians moving to Seattle only to find that their rents are being jacked up to California-esque levels 5 years later are we going to have until some of these ex-Californians realize they didn't really solve any of their problems by moving to Seattle?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wonder how many more Californians moving to Seattle only to find that their rents are being jacked up to California-esque levels 5 years later are we going to have until some of these ex-Californians realize they didn't really solve any of their problems by moving to Seattle?
Many Californians moving to seattle will move out of seattle if it becomes California rent prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area