Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times

Advertisements

It's not just about resume building, it's also about making connections that could well pay dividends later. These are global companies, meaning you make connections with people all over the world. THAT is money in the bank for would-be entrepreneurs.

As for wanting to be close to family in the south, with a decent income you can be on a plane every weekend if you want. There are lots and lots of easy flights and connections from Seattle to many places in the south and southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I don't think any of us are going to be able to answer your questions. Far too personal.

What matters to any of us is not going to be the same for you.

There is such a thing as chemistry between two people...or not.

I think there may be such a thing as chemistry between a person and a place...or not.

I have noticed comments by people who move to a place, and it never really feels like home to them. Or, alternatively, someone quickly takes a liking to a new place.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Check out "How about we have a 'What we love about Seattle' " thread, usamathman. It may give you a few ideas about how to enjoy the PNW.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Working for a tech company in Seattle is fine short term as long as you don't value work-life balance or free time/vacations/weekends.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:29 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Yes, it is worth it short-term for the resume.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:03 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Working for a tech company in Seattle is fine short term as long as you don't value work-life balance or free time/vacations/weekends.
i don't think this is true at all. my husband has worked in tech for 25 years and almost never had to do anytime beyond 40 hours a week and he's pretty high up. plus the last two companies he worked at gave unlimited vacation time.

to the OP, i think if you have kids it would make a big difference in that decision. if you have no kids or very young kids, i'd say go for it!

Old 06-30-2017, 04:34 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello all,

I have an opportunity to move to Seattle to join one of the big four tech companies.

Good role with good money. Having the company name on my resume would be a great booster.

Having some second thoughts mainly surrounding the desire to move to the west coast.

I'm in my 30's. Have moved around quite a bit over the past 5 years. Really looking to settle down now.

[...snip...]. Also wanting to be close to family in the south.

Do you think the experience of working with a company like Microsoft, Google or Amazon is worth relocating across the country for a 1-2 year time frame?
Opinion:
Never really understood distance in this age of relative inexpensive air travel.
Is 2.5thousand miles more distant than 1thousand in terms of air travel time and cost?

Is 6 hours ground travel more time than than 6 hours total ground&air travel?
Sounds like that you need to stay where you are. You have tired of moving around. A job is a job no matter where its at. As for the money, the pay is relative to the COL at the location and competition for the workforce.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:44 PM

135 posts, read 164,573 times
I'm also in my 30s and moved here from NYC in January to work for one of the big tech giants. I like my job for the most part, and my work-life balance is actually awesome: usually around 50 hours/week and never work on weekends.

However, I hate Seattle with a passion and will most likely leave sometime next year.

1. I'm a single straight male, and Seattle has a horrendous dating scene for single guys, easily one of the worst in the country. It's the polar opposite of NYC in this regard.

2. Lack of diversity. The city is comprised of mostly tech people, which makes it super boring since everywhere I go I'm surrounded by people who work at the same handful of tech firms. In NYC I was friends with people from a wide array of industries and backgrounds, and it never got boring when I would go out to social mixers.

3. The culture and the people are obnoxious. It is SUPER liberal and filled with freaks and weirdos and H1B visa foreigners who can't speak English and smell bad. The homeless problem is getting worse as well.

4. Lousy nightlife. I've been to a lot of spots, and none of them do it for me.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
If nightlife, the hustle and speed of big city living is what you need, then yeah, Seattle is gonna suck for you, I don't think anyone mentioned those things in the Things We Love About Seattle thread.

Finance2Tech, if you're looking for that and warmer weather then you might want to look into Las Vegas, it has an up and coming tech side, or if that is not to your liking, there is always LA and Miami.

Get your two years at a big name company to pad the resume, but use your vacation time to figure out where you want to move to next. It sounds like OP will be flying home, but Finance2Tech you might want to start looking at Airbnbs in the aforementioned cities. I say Airbnb because you can start exploring potential neighborhoods and if you can't get a week off, don't underestimate what you can experience in a long weekend.

Best of luck to everyone.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Yes, it is worth it short-term for the resume.
Yes, do this (2 yrs minimum) ^^^ Also do some overseas jobs if possible (For resume and free travel).
and for extra income... Tax free WA helped me to retire 15+ yrs early
Get the MOST bucks possible, when you are young! it will pay off BIG time in 40 yrs

I would really want to stay in the west. Mainly because of the distance from family.

Did I miss something? (Where is Family?) BTW; you can get very cheap and frequent flights from SEA (I fly AWAY every rainy weekend!!)

Working in an engaging, demanding, creative, and fun environment will help you tailor a great new company of your own. Work for several FIRST (Free training for your future FREEDOM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area