Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times

Advertisements

I was looking at another thread, and it was commented that new comers would likely do best-socially-by getting involved in outdoors activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
weather sucks

Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM

64 posts, read 54,574 times
Can't answer that question for you.. also working in tech and having worked for those big companies that I now have in my resume.. BUT.. I also came here just for a 1-2 year gig.. fast forward 10 years I still love the PNW I just hate Seattle itself, since I am no longer single and trying to raise a family is terrible with the commutes to the city. But the outdoors that my family loves is wonderful. So if you're single, planning to stay single for a while, love outdoors, looking for industry experience and a great resume, and up for an adventure - I say go for it. If you're craving family time though, I would take a long deep breath. Tech isn't a family friendly field as it is, and those big name companies are definitely not making it any easier - as a parent you will never outcompete a 20 year old with no hobby other than work, who often also does drugs to further enhance their performance.. and these are very competitive workplaces. Your only way to establish yourself is if your company appreciates your experience.. which is a hit or miss. There's a lot of politics and seniority in a company and connections in the company very often trump seniority in the industry.. pretty much like anywhere, I would imagine. But, if it's going to be a short term gig, you should be fine. The honeymoon phase (~the first year) is pretty great. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance2Tech View Post
I'm also in my 30s and moved here from NYC in January to work for one of the big tech giants. I like my job for the most part, and my work-life balance is actually awesome: usually around 50 hours/week and never work on weekends.

However, I hate Seattle with a passion and will most likely leave sometime next year.

1. I'm a single straight male, and Seattle has a horrendous dating scene for single guys, easily one of the worst in the country. It's the polar opposite of NYC in this regard.

2. Lack of diversity. The city is comprised of mostly tech people, which makes it super boring since everywhere I go I'm surrounded by people who work at the same handful of tech firms. In NYC I was friends with people from a wide array of industries and backgrounds, and it never got boring when I would go out to social mixers.

3. The culture and the people are obnoxious. It is SUPER liberal and filled with freaks and weirdos and H1B visa foreigners who can't speak English and smell bad. The homeless problem is getting worse as well.

4. Lousy nightlife. I've been to a lot of spots, and none of them do it for me.
I noticed that also when I visited, but the city does have alot going for it too.
My biggest complaint was the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area