Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:52 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

Currently I have a friend who live in Vancouver,BC. He refuses to visit me in Seattle but he drives to Bellingham all the time to shop at Trader Joes.

I was thinking I could take the Greyhound bus from Seattle to Bellingham and spend a night in a motel. My question here is there anything to see in Bellingham or is Bellingham like Fresno or Bakersfield??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Bellingham is beautiful compared to those two places you mentioned, not even in the same league. It actually was voted the best small city in the USA a number of years ago. Bellingham is a groovy, connected community with a surprisingly vibrant music, art and cultural scene. It's right on the water (Bellingham Bay), the Fairhaven Historic District is lovely. If you or your buddy have access to a car, the drive just south of Bellingham on Chuckanut Drive is drop dead gorgeous. You could also take the Amtrak from Seattle.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 07-11-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Bellingham is awesome. Beautiful city.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Bellingham is beautiful compared to those two places you mentioned, not even in the same league. It actually was voted the best small city in the USA a number of years ago. Bellingham is a groovy, connected community with a surprisingly vibrant music, art and cultural scene. It's right on the water (Bellingham Bay), the Fairhaven Historic District is lovely. If you or your buddy have access to a car, the drive just south of Bellingham on Chuckanut Drive is drop dead gorgeous. You could also take the Amtrak from Seattle.
Bellingham sounds like Ashland,Oregon or San Luis Obispo,California

Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
Default Bellingham

Bellingham has little museums, breweries, parks, trails, restaurants, bars and beaches. They have big city attractions on a smaller scale. It's a pretty city, and people there aren't tainted or de-sensitized like in Seattle. Check it out. You might like it. Western Wa. U is in Bellingham, so it's also a college town. I like Bellingham. One note; Don't find yourself w/out a place to stay or somewhere to go. It shuts completely down at night, as in you are the only person on the street.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
Whatcom Falls Park has a cool waterfall right in town and a trout hatchery. The waterfront (on the Sound) has a boardwalk and coffee shop, and there's a small marine life aquarium to the north. There are galleries, shops and restaurants- it's worth a trip.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Yes, take Amtrak to Bellingham ($36 RT) - train leaves at 7:45am, arrives at 9:57am. Very scenic, runs along Puget Sound much of the way. Return train leaves at 8:32am. Or buy two oneways - 7:45am from Seattle ($31) and 7:37pm from Bellingham ($18) the next day, which would give you 31.5 hours in Bellingham.

The cheapest motels are along Samish Way N.: https://www.google.com/maps/search/h...22.4692298,17z

Places to check out:

* The Horseshoe Cafe (since 1886, Downtown), Bellingham's historic greasy spoon (and oldest restaurant in Washington). Comfortable like an old shoe (it ain't fancy)...

* Old Town Cafe - breakfast/lunch. (Old Town = Bellingham's funky district, near the train station.)

* Downtown shops - just wander.

* Lots of breweries and brewpubs.

* Whatcom Falls Park & Lake Whatcom.

* Boulevard Park, on Bellingham Bay (on the way to Fairhaven).

* Fairhaven Historical District.

* Whatcom Museum.

* Mount Baker Theatre (since 1927) - music shows, musical theatre, comedy, etc.

* Bellingham Railway Museum (Downtown).

* Spark Museum of Electrical Invention.

* WWU Campus & Sehome Hill Arboretum.

* Larrabee State Park (Chuckanut Drive).

* Clayton Beach (Chuckanut Drive, trailhead south of Larrabee).

* Whale watching tours.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Currently I have a friend who live in Vancouver,BC. He refuses to visit me in Seattle but he drives to Bellingham all the time to shop at Trader Joes.

I was thinking I could take the Greyhound bus from Seattle to Bellingham and spend a night in a motel. My question here is there anything to see in Bellingham or is Bellingham like Fresno or Bakersfield??
. Nothing is quite like Fresno or Bakersfield.....just sayin' . Take Amtrak, if you can, it will be a beautiful ride.

There is a lot to chose from, for things to do and I think your BC friend may well know the best places.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
You'll be arriving in Fairhaven, a cute little part of town and I believe they have a small farmers market on Wednesdays, a little bit more of walking will take you to Boulevard Park, where there is a nice stretch of the walkway that extends over the water.

Bellingham's unofficial slogan is the city of subdued excitement, so don't expect big city attractions, where it really shines is the ability to get out and enjoy the water, trails and mountains.

In town, Lake Padden, Lake Whatcom, Whatcom Falls Park are great if you want to get out and walk around in nature. If you do the Chuckanut Drive, stop at Larrabee state park, it's right on the water and try to time it at low tide. Bringing bikes or renting them and hitting the interurban trail is a treat, you can even cheat, bike as far as you want and if you plan it right, you can take the bus back to the car or rental shop.

If your friend is up for a bit of a drive, print out a day pass and head to Artist Point, it recently opened and the views at the top are amazing. Either before you head up the switch backs or after, stop at Picture Lake and take some stunning pictures, it really does live up to it's name. Oh and make sure you stop at Nooksack Falls.

Lots of craft beer, food trucks, you can even take a tour of Bellwood Farms, they have a farm to distillery tour that I have heard is fun.

If any of these posts sound appealing then yes a trip up to Bellingham would be worth it. One final note, the bus system of course can't compare to a large metro area, but you can still get around, you just need to plan a little more.

Final note, you might want to look into Airbnbs.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Taylor Oyster Farm is really cool to visit: https://www.taylorshellfishfarms.com...ellfish-market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area