Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM

450 posts, read 551,568 times

Advertisements

OP do you hang out with people who just recently arrived in the area or who are averse to travel? Most people I've met here have visited Vancouver BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,542,965 times
Watch out for Hastings Street!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 AM

8,182 posts, read 8,326,792 times
I used to have a home there for a few years. Be sure to go to Lynn Canyon, short easy hike with amazing suspension bridge, beautiful woods, waterfalls, gorge, crystal clear water only 20 minutes from Downtown Vancouver. A couple of our favorite restaurants are Banana Leaf Malaysian on the west end of Robson not far from Stanley Park and House of Dosas South Indian at the corner of Knight and Kingsway.

If you are looking for entertainment, live music at the venerable Roxy will never let you down. Stroll Granville Island on a summer day, great food, coffee, galleries, produce/fish/meat and all kinds of steeet musicians, jugglers, buskers there. Hop on a charming water taxi, head all the way to the east end of False Creek and take your kids to very interesting Science World, you'll see the massive geodesic dome. Spend some time strolling around the Kits (Kitsalano) neighborhood with its great heritage homes, shops and an excellent travel bookstore I forget the name of, drive out toward UBC/Point Grey. Hike down to Wreck Beach, you've never seen anything like it. Old growth trees, pretty sand, driftwood art, musicians, artists, some people dressed, some not. Go to East Vancouver specifically Commercial Drive, see the "organic, bohemian" remnants of Vancouver as well as the vestiges of of what was formerly a very vibrant Italian community. This area is doing its best to maintain its character in the face of gentrification. You'll still see some good hippie shops and old school Italian spots with the old men whistling at pretty women who come by. Somehow it's not as offensive when they have a cappucchino in their hand and an Italian soccer jersey on.

I could go on forvever, Vancouver is a great city. Oh, to see Vancouverites in their full glory, go to a Canucks professional hockey game (preferably against one of the other Canadian teams). Grouse Mountain skiing is only about 30 min from downtown, Vancouver Art Museum is excellent, the English Bay/West End neighborhood is funky in a good way (a number of famous Canadian actors and musicians have homes there) has some of the best affordable sushi anywhere and drop dead sunsets. There is a British pub right across from the sea wall that is a great place for a pint. Don't miss Stanley Park with its hikes, world class views and super aquarium.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 07-21-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I used to have a home there for a few years. Be sure to go to Lynn Canyon, short easy hike with amazing suspension bridge, beautiful woods, waterfalls, gorge, crystal clear water only 20 minutes from Downtown Vancouver. A couple of our favorite restaurants are Banana Leaf Malaysian on the west end of Robson not far from Stanley Park and House of Dosas South Indian at the corner of Knight and Kingsway.

If you are looking for entertainment, live music at the venerable Roxy will never let you down. Stroll Granville Island on a summer day, great food, coffee, galleries, produce/fish/meat and all kinds of steeet musicians, jugglers, buskers there. Hop on a charming water taxi, head all the way to the east end of False Creek and take your kids to very interesting Science World, you'll see the massive geodesic dome. Spend some time strolling around the Kits (Kitsalano) neighborhood with its great heritage homes, shops and an excellent travel bookstore I forget the name of, drive out toward UBC/Point Grey. Hike down to Wreck Beach, you've never seen anything like it. Old growth trees, pretty sand, driftwood art, musicians, artists, some people dressed, some not. Go to East Vancouver specifically Commercial Drive, see the "organic, bohemian" remnants of Vancouver as well as the vestiges of of what was formerly a very vibrant Italian community. This area is doing its best to maintain its character in the face of gentrification. You'll still see some good hippie shops and old school Italian spots with the old men whistling at pretty women who come by. Somehow it's not as offensive when they have a cappucchino in their hand and an Italian soccer jersey on.

I could go on forvever, Vancouver is a great city. Oh, to see Vancouverites in their full glory, go to a Canucks professional hockey game (preferably against one of the other Canadian teams). Grouse Mountain skiing is only about 30 min from downtown, Vancouver Art Museum is excellent, the English Bay/West End neighborhood is funky in a good way (a number of famous Canadian actors and musicians have homes there) has some of the best affordable sushi anywhere and drop dead sunsets. There is a British pub right across from the sea wall that is a great place for a pint. Don't miss Stanley Park with its hikes, world class views and super aquarium.
Gawd, I'm going to print this out and save it, for some as yet unforeseen future visit! This is a goldmine of good info!

And btw, I LOVE Granville Is.! Van residents write it off as nothing more than a commercialized tourist attraction, but I love the atmosphere, the galleries (all pretty high-end, not trinket-y stuff), and all the extras. And btw, I noticed there's a Thai restaurant just outside the island, that serves traditional Thai breakfast/brunch on Sundays. I went in there and ordered my favorite, the black sticky-rice with the special cream, and the wait staff kept kind of staring at me, and asking me if that's what I really wanted. In the US, black sticky-rice is everyone's favorite dessert at Thai restaurants. At this place (very authentic), it was clear they weren't at all used to non-Asians coming for the brunch. I mention this, because it sounds like your kind of place, Homes. I don't know if it's still there; it was ages ago that I was there.

By contrast, I'll mention a little Chinese hole-in-the-wall on U Way in Seattle, "New China" or something?, that for awhile served traditional Chinese breakfast fare on Sunday mornings. This is sweet or salty hot soy milk, with certain types of buns, both baked and deep-fried. The deep fried ones are a foot long, and you fold them up and stuff them into a flat baked one, and dip that into the milk. Having spent time on Taiwan, I love this stuff. The owner was always very welcoming and happy to see me, and was thrilled that I "understood" and appreciated traditional breakfast fare. A very different attitude than in that Thai restaurant in Van, where I was the only Westerner in the entire place.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM

143 posts, read 159,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I meet so many folks, either at work in just in life in general that live here, who have never visited the metropolis that is Vancouver just a couple of hours north. There is kind of a carelessness to the city that I don't quite understand, because it's so fun to go there and it's a lot more cosmopolitan. It's also really affordable right now due to the exchange rate. I am not even from here and I've visited 6 different weekends. Locals need to expand their horizons a bit more, no?
No need. The city of Vancouver comes to us every time the Blue Jays play at Safeco field

Old 07-21-2017, 04:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,517,390 times
We liked the Capilano Suspension Bridge. A favorite tourist attraction at Vancouver. It is fun to experience the "shakiness" of the bridge - it's up pretty high and it's fairly long in length and the trees are such a beautiful green. Well worth going to see.

https://www.capbridge.com/

Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,542,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
We liked the Capilano Suspension Bridge. A favorite tourist attraction at Vancouver. It is fun to experience the "shakiness" of the bridge - it's up pretty high and it's fairly long in length and the trees are such a beautiful green. Well worth going to see.

https://www.capbridge.com/
Yeah, we did that! Fun!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM

20,885 posts, read 9,582,528 times
I used to go to Vancouver every few years or so when I lived in Seattle but once they started requiring a passport for re-entry I couldn't be bothered anymore. By that time I think I had seen it enough anyway.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,910,977 times
As a child in Seattle my parents took us there in the 1960's. We even took the Canadian Pacific Railroad from Vancouver to Montreal for Expo '67 there. Of course, back then all you needed was a drivers license and a few quick, easy questions from the border agent. The only problem we had at the border was our dachshund was targeted with the wrong paper work. We were able to clear it up pretty quickly, however. In the 70's we took frequent trips to Vancouver Island. One of those trips was where we heard that Elvis had died (1977). Canadian radio stations played him as a tribute just as much as US station, fwit. In the 80's I went up to Vancouver with some co-workers to watch the Sounders plays Vancouver. So, in conclusion, I was not one of those you mentioned in the OP. However, I can see how regulations have made it somewhat more difficult today.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,952,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gawd, I'm going to print this out and save it, for some as yet unforeseen future visit! This is a goldmine of good info!

And btw, I LOVE Granville Is.! Van residents write it off as nothing more than a commercialized tourist attraction, but I love the atmosphere, the galleries (all pretty high-end, not trinket-y stuff), and all the extras. And btw, I noticed there's a Thai restaurant just outside the island, that serves traditional Thai breakfast/brunch on Sundays. I went in there and ordered my favorite, the black sticky-rice with the special cream, and the wait staff kept kind of staring at me, and asking me if that's what I really wanted. In the US, black sticky-rice is everyone's favorite dessert at Thai restaurants. At this place (very authentic), it was clear they weren't at all used to non-Asians coming for the brunch. I mention this, because it sounds like your kind of place, Homes. I don't know if it's still there; it was ages ago that I was there.

By contrast, I'll mention a little Chinese hole-in-the-wall on U Way in Seattle, "New China" or something?, that for awhile served traditional Chinese breakfast fare on Sunday mornings. This is sweet or salty hot soy milk, with certain types of buns, both baked and deep-fried. The deep fried ones are a foot long, and you fold them up and stuff them into a flat baked one, and dip that into the milk. Having spent time on Taiwan, I love this stuff. The owner was always very welcoming and happy to see me, and was thrilled that I "understood" and appreciated traditional breakfast fare. A very different attitude than in that Thai restaurant in Van, where I was the only Westerner in the entire place.
Granville I seemed quite touristy.
To be positive, Bao Down was a very good fusion asian restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area