U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM

33 posts, read 39,922 times

Advertisements

I need to go from Poulsbo to the SeaTac airport.

Keeping in mind the horrendous traffic in Seattle and unpredictability of ferry waits, what would be most reliable means of getting there? From Poulsbo, take the Bainbridge Island ferry and through Seattle to SeaTac (34 miles including ferry)? Or, from Poulsbo, go down to Gig Harbor, across the Tacoma Narrows bridge and up to SeaTac (70 miles)?

Any idea of travel times for each?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
37,907 posts, read 68,617,260 times
The time of day and day of week makes a big difference. The ferry is about 40 minutes plus wait time, but the drive to the airport can be 20 minutes or an hour depending on traffic. Driving around is about 90 minutes unless you hit the traffic in Tacoma when you get across the bridge, that can add another 1/2 hour or more. If you avoid peak commute times, I would take the ferry. The fare is more than the bridge toll but you will come close to the same cost in gas savings. The ferry website has approximate wait times available, but the worst waits are for crossings on the weekday mornings, with commuters to Seattle, and Sunday afternoon/evening with weekenders returning. Seattle traffic from the ferry to the airport is not that bad on weekends and from 10am-1pm on weekdays.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 AM

7,580 posts, read 6,817,388 times
Yeah pirate, I think I would just go early, suck it up and take the Bainbridge boat. Too many variables going the other way. The Bainbridge boats are big, have large capacity and run often.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 PM

298 posts, read 461,779 times

Are you driving all the way and leaving your car at the airport? (Sorry it's not clear from the information given.)

If you don't wish to leave your car at the airport, and can walk with your luggage a few blocks, it might be easier to do a combination of walk on BI ferry and Link light rail to the airport. A friend of mine who travels out of SeaTac at least twice a month for business does this. Traveling from his house in NK to the airport is about one hour 30 minutes. Note, he does time it so he catches the ferry about 15 minutes before departure.

Also, if you don't wish to drive yourself, look into the Kitsap Airporter for schedules and fares (Bremerton-Kitsap Airporter | Home). The closest stop to Poulsbo is at the AM/PM on Hwy. 308 south of town. The Kitsap Airporter does drive around through Tacoma, so ferry times will not apply.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 PM

2,996 posts, read 2,280,910 times
No one has mentioned Southworth/Fauntleroy.

It'd be less driving stress from Fauntleroy to Sea-Tac, especially with all the construction going on @ the Seattle frry dock. It's also (IMO) a better drive than going all the way to Winslow to begin. Shorter ferry ride and they run 'round the clock.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:39 AM

33 posts, read 39,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
No one has mentioned Southworth/Fauntleroy.

It'd be less driving stress from Fauntleroy to Sea-Tac, especially with all the construction going on @ the Seattle frry dock. It's also (IMO) a better drive than going all the way to Winslow to begin. Shorter ferry ride and they run 'round the clock.
That's an interesting way I hadn't thought of. Yes driving, from Fauntleroy would you recommend heading straight to the 509 at S. Cloverdale St., then the 518 to SeaTac? Or, taking surface streets like Marine View Dr., SW 106 St., Ambaum Blvd. SW, 518 to SeaTac?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM

7,580 posts, read 6,817,388 times
Yeah tommy, I used to live on Vashon and thought of that, not sure it would be worth it by the time you had to huff it through Bremerton. Maybe though, certainly easy to bushwhack overland from the Fauntleroy ferry in West Seattle to Seatac.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateer View Post
That's an interesting way I hadn't thought of. Yes driving, from Fauntleroy would you recommend heading straight to the 509 at S. Cloverdale St., then the 518 to SeaTac? Or, taking surface streets like Marine View Dr., SW 106 St., Ambaum Blvd. SW, 518 to SeaTac?
I'd take Ambaum, though the 509 could be faster. Just pull off the ferry, turn left, go up the hill and the Airport is right there.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I'd take Ambaum, though the 509 could be faster. Just pull off the ferry, turn left, go up the hill and the Airport is right there.
I should say turn RIGHT.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM

1,003 posts, read 426,766 times
Highway 3 South all the way past the shipyard and to Gorst, then take 16 East to Tacoma, Cross the Narrows Bridge then take I-5 North for about 10-15 miles and get off at the 518 West exit towards SeaTac Airport. There are the Bremerton or Bainbridge ferries though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>