Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:24 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Woah, you're from Bama? Get ready for culture shock.
lol I moved here from a small town in Georgia, but always felt drawn to the bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
I live in Auburn, but in the Lakeland Hills area, which is far safer than downtown Auburn. One of the problems with the downtown area is the homeless issue, which many are on drugs and/or have mental issues as well. "I" do not concider the downtown area to be that safe after 7pm... It's not like Chicago or anything, but for a small town, the homeless problem makes it noticeable that the area has problems.

Again, Lakeland Hills is in the southeast part of Auburn and the difference is night and day. This area is pretty safe and you see children playing in the neighborhood and females walking in the evening hours. Also, there are several apartment complexes in the area that are renting.

There is a desent shopping area for you basic needs... A supermarket, McDonalds, Subway, Starbucks, a pub, Pizza, Chinese, Mexican restaurants, Walgreens drugstore, etc... WalMart is about 4-5 miles away, next to a good size outlet mall, with more restaurants in the area. Also, a movie theater is in that area too.

Also, good public schools in this part of town.

If you're coming out to check the area out, compare the downtown area and Lakeland Hills out... Especially after 7pm/8pm and you'll see for yourself.

I work in Renton and my better half works in Kent. At this point, no traffic issues since we both drive, but it is getting worse every year. I should note that the Lakeland Hills has very limited public transportation, so if you do not have a car, that will be an issue.

Good luck with everything!!

Old 08-04-2017, 03:15 PM

50 posts, read 53,310 times
I think Tacoma is likely the closest fit for my budget and want/needs. Any suggestions for preschool and daycare options in Tacoma. I really like Montessori but it is not a deal breaker.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:17 PM

236 posts, read 289,468 times
Tacoma seems like a great choice, I like visiting there. Check out Point Defiance Zoo when you are there, it's a real gem and kids love it. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true (Sherman ES "7")

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true (Point Defiance ES "7")

https://www.zillow.com/b/northpoint-...oma-wa-5XkHYS/ (Point Defiance ES "7")

https://www.zillow.com/b/village-at-...oma-wa-5Xk3qF/ (Downing ES "9")

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 08-06-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 01:54 PM

I am still in process for position. I am really hoping I have will have accepted a formal offer by this time next week.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:15 PM

235 posts, read 269,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
It's not like Chicago or anything, but for a small town, the homeless problem makes it noticeable that the area has problems.
Chicago downtown is very clean and safe. I would 100% rather walk around the Loop and River North at night than Auburn.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 PM

The move became official today! I have secured daycare for both kids. Now I just need a condo or house to move into around October 10th.

I think it housing will likely be a condo for 6-12 months. Any suggestions in Stadium?

Anyone have experience using Sounder to commute from Tacoma to Kent?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
There is free light rail from the Theater District (not far from the Stadium District) to the Tacoma Dome Station (10 minutes) where you catch Sounder. I believe all cars now have free wi-fi. There is also free all-day parking at the Tacoma Dome Station.

https://www.soundtransit.org/tacomalink

Sounder from the Tacoma Dome Station to Kent takes about 32 minutes. Fare: $4.25/trip or $153.00/mo. for Puget Pass on the ORCA Card, good for up to $4.25 fare on Sounder, Link Light Rail, Sound Transit, Pierce County Transit, King County Metro Transit, Kipsap Transit, Community Transit/Snohomish County, Everett Transit. You can also pay WSF ferry fares using ORCA from the e-purse (not using the monthly pass).

https://www.soundtransit.org/schedul...kewood-seattle

https://orcacard.com

Old 08-22-2017, 08:14 AM

Crazy Donkey Thank you! The transit part is new area to navigate as Alabama doesn't really have any transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area