Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 05:14 PM

317 posts, read 840,199 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Seattle very soon, and since my car is still being shipped, I won't have access to a vehicle to buy groceries etc etc. is Uber the most convenient, or are there a better way to buy things with same day delivery?

Apparently, renting a car is like 200/day so I don't think I will do that. If I need to buy multiple things from different places( a barstool at a furniture store, groceries at the supermarket), what is the best way to efficiently accomplish this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 05:26 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Amazon Prime Now is available in much (if not all) of Seattle. 2 hour delivery. And I don't where you rent cars, but they can be had for $25 - $30 /day. There's also Car2Go.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 PM

64 posts, read 54,518 times
Zipcar car rental is by the hour, no need to rent for a whole day. Prime Now is expensive and has very limited inventory.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:30 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
Zipcar is perfect for this. We pay $7 per month plus hourly (~$10) or day (~$75) rates depending on the vehicle, gas and insurance are included. Vehicles range from compact cars to cargo vans and there are plenty of them located in and around Seattle.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:10 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Yeah, I vote for a combo of Zipcar, bus and maybe even walking. If you aren't going to have a car, maybe choose an area to live that allows you to reach some of these things with ease. Most places have a supermarket fairly close by. Better still if you can live near light rail or commuter rail.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
I too was shocked at the cost of daily car rentals from the airport and central areas in Town during the summer high season.

For large and bulky household and pantry items, even some furniture items, Amazon and Amazon Now go a long way, especially if you've got Prime. I was surprised at some of the stuff I could get 1 day Prime delivery for. Macys and Nordstrom will ship to your home for free too--I bought a lot of household items that way!

I probably wouldn't sign up for Zipcar or Car2Go if it were for less than a month. Bus service is pretty good in Town and it's possible you could walk somewhere for basic grocery items (eggs, meat, veggies and the like). If you're not stocking up Costo style, quite manageable with a backpack or duffel bag, and there's also Uber if you need it for the way back. Or if in the end you really do want to be in *a* car, Uber/Lyft may be the way to go, though you may have to wait a little longer than in some other cities. To get an idea of availability, open up the app and drop the pin near where you will be living and shopping.

For a big Ikea run, I'd probably try to get a UHaul cargo van since airport rentals are still going for over $100/day! (There's probably an eclipse fever effect going on now too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area