Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:14 PM

301 posts, read 312,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
The other important thing about this Lenin statue is that it is protest art, it is not meant to glorify Lenin it is meant to portray him in a negative light. That's why it was brought here and saved to begin with.

The short version of the story is that the govt of Czechoslovakia commissioned a statue from a local artist. The artist knew he couldn't refuse as he'd be punished so rather than making a glorifying statue depicting Lenin as an intellectual or man of the people he depicted him as a warmonger surrounded by bomb blasts and flames. It is thought to be the only statue of its king in existence.

A local guy found it when he was other there just after the fall of the USSR and made arrangements to bring it here. He was originally going to display it outside a Czech restaurant but died before it opened. The family put it in Fremont to try to get a buyer, it never sold. Now its used as a catch all anti-Lenin goof. The hands are painted red and he's dressed up for holidays. Rainbows for gay pride, Christmas lights, etc (both things Lenin would hate).
I see your point, yeah, perhaps if presented in this light, it's ok but still personally would prefer things like that to be somewhere else, in some less visible place. Museum is probably an ideal place for this.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward for the time when my parents visit me, will go for a walk and discover that statue there. It will be very very difficult to explain it to them lol. They are the kind who, for instance, get agitated if I wear some random red t-shirt (in addition to them having close and personal experience with toppling Lenin statues back at home).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I enjoy looking at all the birds--t on it as I make my way to my Dr.'s office.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
Meanwhile, I am looking forward for the time when my parents visit me, will go for a walk and discover that statue there. It will be very very difficult to explain it to them lol. They are the kind who, for instance, get agitated if I wear some random red t-shirt (in addition to them having close and personal experience with toppling Lenin statues back at home).
I understand this completely. There's no way to explain it to Russians from earlier generations. Imagine especially, trying to explain it to a generation that was born before the Revolution or who lived around the borderlands with parents who were pre-Revolution-era. I'm thinking of Seattle's and San Francisco's Harbin contingent. Of course, at this point, they're all gone, but back when the statue arrived in Seattle, there were a few left.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:31 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
I'm surprised the Seattle city government hasn't demanded an erection of a Fidel Castro statue after his passing. I'm pretty sure Kshama Sawant will demand a statue of her to be built using our tax money to honor her as a savior of all us silly Americans and our evil capitalist system.

All I have to say about Commies is they love their statues..

I can see it now, a muscular female bodybuilder physique Kshama wearing her cap dawning a red star with her fist in the air and in big bold letters "Power To The People" holding the decapitated head of Donald Trump.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I'm surprised the Seattle city government hasn't demanded an erection of a Fidel Castro statue after his passing. I'm pretty sure Kshama Sawant will demand a statue of her to be built using our tax money to honor her as a savior of all us silly Americans and our evil capitalist system.

All I have to say about Commies is they love their statues..

I can see it now, a muscular female bodybuilder physique Kshama wearing her cap dawning a red star with her fist in the air and in big bold letters "Power To The People" holding the decapitated head of Donald Trump.
Everybody loves symbols. Hell, Andrew Jackson is on the $20 bill. He was responsible for the ethnic cleansing of the Cherokee people. They had a functioning civil society and were largely living amongst the European American populace in peace. They had their own homes, farms, saw mills and were well established, civilized.

Too bad, all they got for their efforts was the Trail Of Tears. All I can say about Americans is grow eyes in the back of your head and watch your freaking back

Old 08-26-2017, 04:43 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Everybody loves symbols. Hell, Andrew Jackson is on the $20 bill. He was responsible for the ethnic cleansing of the Cherokee people. They had a functioning civil society and were largely living amongst the European American populace in peace. They had their own homes, farms, saw mills and were well established, civilized.

Too bad, all they got for their efforts was the Trail Of Tears. All I can say about Americans is grow eyes in the back of your head and watch your freaking back
I visited Chief Joseph's grave and have a lot of compassion and sadness for the suffering of native peoples. The story of the suffering of the Nez Perce is very hard to bear. I drove through many of the history battle sites of the Nez Perce in Eastern Oregon.

I'm not a big fan of Andrew Jackson or Abraham Lincoln. Both were two-faced, backstabbers and somehow people venerate Lincoln with deity like status. To be honest, Robert E Lee was more respectful to blacks than Lincoln. Lincoln believed black people were inferior but said he was ethically opposed to slavery. Lee believed blacks were every bit as intelligent and capable as white people, but believed they had to be "civilized" into American culture. Lincoln believed blacks were inferior all the way around, yet still promoted emancipation.

Benjamin Franklin was an ok dude as far as I know. You're probably going to dig up a bunch of dirt on him now too Think I will get rid of all my 20s and 5s and just keep 100s around as I don't want these slimy tyrants on my bill. My favorite bill is the $100 bill anyhow .

To be honest, every country has blood on its hands. Many Native American tribes also stole and murdered from each other too. In fact, many tribes allied with the Union soldiers to help fight off being attacked by other tribes like the Blackfoot who they feared even worse than the white people. Sometimes it was a choice between having your land stolen and being relocated to a reservation or just being wiped out all together by your enemy tribe. There are no real good guys, just one group of unscrupulous people getting the better of the other and establishing nations that have become more civil over the generations.

Then again, nobody seems to care about the oppression of the Irish or Chinese which was every bit as bad as slavery, but perhaps not as long lasting. Irish were considered less than the dogs throughout history, but since they were white people it was no big deal that they suffered horrible oppression. Chinese (and Irish too) built our railroads in some of the most horrible conditions imaginable.

And if we demand removal of statues and monuments why don't we start with all the royal families in England, France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Holland etc who conquered the world robbing, raping and murdering large numbers of people from a variety of cultures. Some of the things the Spanish empire did were even more atrocious than slavery in USA. Try rounding up entire villages and burning men, women and children on crosses. Or. how about committing the first genocide against Jews in Europe where they rounded up all Jews and burned them alive if they wouldn't convert to Catholicism or if they were caught practicing Judaism. Yet, the Spaniards still venerate and honor their royal family and historical figures who committed far worse atrocities than many of these Civil War figures that people are railing against.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-26-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
Being born and raised in Eastern Europe, I am sure my opinion can be labeled as very biased but I really can't believe this statue is a thing. A quick way to figure out if this statue can be offensive to some people is to see what people have been doing and are still doing to these statues in the countries that were unfortunate to be drugged into the Soviet Union endevour. I'll do a very overused comparison but you don't put a Hitler statue in a middle of the city because it's part of the history and everything ( and the Jewish people? They are probably just biased... )? For the same reason Lenin statue belongs to museum and not to a city square. Put something inspiring, beautiful or worth celebrating on its place. Just my $0.02.
How about something that provokes thought? Allows another point of view to be seen and heard? Too much for you? Seems to me you don't know a lot about your history. Why did the cold war happen? Why was the Warsaw Pact formed? Why did the Soviet Union not go home?

When it comes to most things you'll find that there's side 1, side 2 and then something both are trying to keep from you. The truth.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The short version of the story is that the govt of Czechoslovakia commissioned a statue from a local artist. The artist knew he couldn't refuse as he'd be punished so rather than making a glorifying statue depicting Lenin as an intellectual or man of the people he depicted him as a warmonger surrounded by bomb blasts and flames. It is thought to be the only statue of its king in existence.
I wonder.......... where are the bomb blasts and flames?

Old 08-26-2017, 09:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

One thing the history books don't tell you is that there was a gold rush on Cherokee lands. It wasn't just that the settlers wanted more land per se, or that some may have been envious of Cherokee economic successes (not to mention their 90% literacy in their own language, vs. settlers' 10% literacy in theirs). Somebody discovered gold in them thar hills. The Cherokee's case (eventually winning 3 Federal Supreme Court decisions) was toast after that.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:23 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Scrat, although they aren't red, what you are seeing on the side (below and next to Lenin's hands) are the sculptor's rendition of flames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area