Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My husband and I are considering a 4 day trip to either Olympic National Park or North Cascades National Park. Dates would be 3rd week of September. If you had only 4 days, which of these two would you pick and why? I did a search, and it seems like most posts lean towards Olympic, but we are totally open to Cascades. Please assume the following:

1. Flying into Seattle, but not interested in staying in the city.
2. Enjoy hiking and prefer more hilly terrain as opposed to coastline.
3. Do not like crowds. The fewer people we see, the better.
4. Will have a car.

We don't mind driving if the terrain is worth seeing, but don't want to spend our time driving around from one place to another just for the sake of fitting multiple places in. Would rather spend quality time in one location so we can get several good hikes in. We will probably opt for VRBO or similar for accommodations (though I welcome suggestions).

Thanks!
I wouldn't want to stay in Seattle, either.
Olympic NP has both mountains and rugged open coastline.
North Cascades has fewer crowds. But in late Sept. crowds at both will be reduced.
You need a car for either one.

If this is your first visit to WA, ONP is more spectacular due to big variety of topography and climate. Temperate rainforest, rain shadow mountainside, lush riparian corridors, clear rocky mountain streams, high and dry above treeline, pounding ocean surf, translucent blue-green lake gem (Crescent Lake), wild seastacks, arches, and cliffs along looooong stretches of sandy beach, rocky tidal pools teeming with sea critters...all of these are in ONP.

Of the parks I have visited, it is one of the tops for sheer diversity of environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
If this is your first visit to WA, ONP is more spectacular due to big variety of topography and climate. Temperate rainforest, rain shadow mountainside, lush riparian corridors, clear rocky mountain streams, high and dry above treeline, pounding ocean surf, translucent blue-green lake gem (Crescent Lake), wild seastacks, arches, and cliffs along looooong stretches of sandy beach, rocky tidal pools teeming with sea critters...all of these are in ONP.

Of the parks I have visited, it is one of the tops for sheer diversity of environments.

We were so fortunate to have lived in Forks for a year. The highlights above are so cool to behold right in front of your eyes. There are literally things so grand to behold throughout your calendar when you live over there - if you can locate over there more power to you. It is such a treasure - the Olympic National Park - what a treasure to behold!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
So, we're locked and loaded to do ONP and rented a house on the East side. I had recommended we do two different locations for 2 nights each, like on the West side near the rainforest and then working our way back to the East side, but husband didn't want to pick up and move mid trip. Needless to say, that will mean a lot of driving, but it is what it is.

I'll come back and let everyone know how it went, though I'm sure we'll love it. We've never traveled in the PNW before, with the exception of a weekend in Portland a few years ago.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:33 AM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Honestly, I just noticed you are coming from Texas so I think that experiencing a rain forest is probably going to be a blast for you guys! Next trip maybe think of doing the north cascades? Just remember it's closed for huge chunks of times.

Everyone gave some really great advice for OP, if you need more we can help with more tips. As for the driving distance/time I think I would equate it to west Texas, it's gonna take you awhile to get to place from place, don't underestimate it and don't try to squeeze everything into this trip.

Have fun, post any more questions and let us know how the trip went!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
You must do at least one of the hikes from Hurricane Ridge, since you obviously want a mountain fix. Get on a trail that allows you views from both sides for even more of a view.

Craig Romano's guidebook to hiking on the Olympic Peninsula gives the details. He includes the full range from short, easy strolls to backpacking-distance circuits, and everything in between.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
So, we're locked and loaded to do ONP and rented a house on the East side. I had recommended we do two different locations for 2 nights each, like on the West side near the rainforest and then working our way back to the East side, but husband didn't want to pick up and move mid trip. Needless to say, that will mean a lot of driving, but it is what it is.

I'll come back and let everyone know how it went, though I'm sure we'll love it. We've never traveled in the PNW before, with the exception of a weekend in Portland a few years ago.
Where on the East side? Sequim, Port Townsend, Quilcene, Brinnon?

There are excellent hikes on the east side of the Park:

From Quilcene: Buckhorn Wilderness Trail.

South of Brinnon: Duckabush River Trail. (Dosewallips Trail road is washed out outside the Park.)

North of Eldon: Lower and Upper Lena Lakes Trail from Lena Creek Campground.

From Hoodsport: Lake Cushman/Staircase Trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area