Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 16,603 times

Advertisements

We're quickly outgrowing our "charming" old north seattle home and the new construction out on Snoqualmie Ridge is currently our top relocation choice. While the idea of a bigger home with modern floorplan and quieter neighborhood all sound great, my biggest concern is the daily commute to downtown seattle for work (5th & Union area).

Anyone with experience want to chime in on what to expect? I would probably end up driving/parking downtown as opposed to taking the bus which I imagine would take much longer. It seems being right off 90 provides a little advantage to other closer-in suburbs that are farther off the freeways.

Secondly, how do the schools out there compare? Currently we're in the Green Lake Elementary, Eckstein Middle, Roosevelt High boundary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 02:02 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Oooh Jimmy, sure you want to leave the northend? I bet you will miss it. I'm thinking these days that it's good to make your commute better rather than worse. Although those are nice areas that you are talking about, I'm feeling future commute pain for you. How about a spacious completely remodeled mid-century home on a large lot in Shoreline or Broadview?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Those are possibilities too as nothing's set in stone yet. Unfortunately I don't see any way to not make my commute longer AND get a bigger home. At this point it's just about keeping it as short/stress-free as possible while meeting our housing needs.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM

235 posts, read 269,698 times
I tested out the Snoqualmie Ridge to Factoria, Bellevue commute a couple of times when I first moved to the area. In normal commute times, that was upwards of 40 minutes. I think the fastest was 20. Add another 20-30 to get to downtown Seattle in bad conditions.

If you leave before 7am, you might be able to squeeze it out in 35-40.

Ended up not having interest because I couldn't imagine living that far away to still have no land.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:34 PM

83 posts, read 94,514 times
I think the commute will wear on you over time. My friends in Sammamish complain about their commute pretty often, and the weather isn't even bad yet. I can't imagine going for an even longer stretch on i90.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
I'm telling you...Shoreline, give it a look. Maybe Seward Park too.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayouInSeattle View Post
I think the commute will wear on you over time. My friends in Sammamish complain about their commute pretty often, and the weather isn't even bad yet. I can't imagine going for an even longer stretch on i90.
My co-worker lives in Sammamish and complains about the commute. Though having driven to both his house and Snoqualmie during non-commute hours, it took much longer to get to his place due to the fact of it being so far from the freeway where as I-90 tends to be pretty clear after those exists going EB and the newer parts of the Ridge are right by the freeway.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
I tested out the Snoqualmie Ridge to Factoria, Bellevue commute a couple of times when I first moved to the area. In normal commute times, that was upwards of 40 minutes. I think the fastest was 20. Add another 20-30 to get to downtown Seattle in bad conditions.

If you leave before 7am, you might be able to squeeze it out in 35-40.

Ended up not having interest because I couldn't imagine living that far away to still have no land.
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
We moved from Wedgwood to Issaquah Highlands and although there are a few things I really miss about Seattle, overall it's a better arrangement for my family. I think some Ridge people decide to drive to the Issaquah Highlands park and ride and take the bus into Seattle. My husband rides his bike to the park and ride and then busses to SLU. It's an hour commute, but since he's not driving he stays productive. And it's free for him so our commute costs are next to nothing (literally).

"How are the schools?"

I wouldn't have a problem with the schools personally. With all the new development and new money coming in I imagine schools will improve. There had been some contention between the Ridge development and older parts of Snoqualmie. Still an issue? I don't know...

Even where I live in Issaquah there are many parents that complain about the education here. I've learned over the years that education is a subjective, personal thing. I know a few families that have one kid going to public and another private based on the attributes of a particular child. Just keep that in mind when people give you their opinion.

There is a distinctively different feel with lifestyle and feel of the communities. Eastside is more conservative (which I surprisingly feel completely okay with despite being solidly left of center in my of my political views).

If I were you I would just make a point of spending a few more afternoons hanging out in the parks, library and retail areas. Try imagining that this is where you live and this is your life each and every day and see how it feels. Before committing to Issaquah I returned there at least once a week or so for about two months. I waited to see how my feelings changed... but they didn't. I just became increasingly convinced that we needed to move. Maybe that will happen to you, maybe it won't.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
An hour each way doesn't sound bad at all. My commute in Cleveland was longer and I lived 17 miles from the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area