Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am about to get new shoes for my 4Runner and wanted to estimate the amount of snow. The interesting thing remains that North interstate 5 has ruts similar to Alaska so I assume that people drive studded tires which is why I thought that it snows/ice quite a bit.

Those ruts are dramatic closer to Edmonds and I am at a loss to explain that. Alaska replaced the Glenn Highway after 10 years after the ruts became so pronounced it could launch your vehicle into the next lane, but in Alaska it SNOWS...
Southern CA had big ruts on I5 when I drove it, too. The big factor is volume of traffic, particularly semi-trailers. Includes tandems and triple trailers--a lot of weight.

Where high volume of heavy big rigs go, the roads get worn much faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:37 AM

235 posts, read 269,774 times
Houston just got almost as rain in one storm as Seattle gets in a year on average. Will have more by the time the rain stops.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would attribute it you having beginner's luck. I have been here 23 years, and most years there will be rain from late September through June, then none at all from July 5 until September. This spring was unusually dry, whether from global warming or some other reason I don't know. We did have record rain in late winter/early spring, so this dry weather can be appreciated without worry.

https://weather.com/news/news/seattl...ring-2016-2017
Actually this spring (along with the winter) was the wettest on record. It stopped raining in May.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:53 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
How many days was that? In 2012 it went 66 days without rain, IIRC.
But not consecutive. This summer, we had 55 consecutive days without rain and only 1 rain day ruined a much longer record which could've been close to 80 days.

Last edited by Botev1912; 08-27-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 10:11 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am about to get new shoes for my 4Runner and wanted to estimate the amount of snow. The interesting thing remains that North interstate 5 has ruts similar to Alaska so I assume that people drive studded tires which is why I thought that it snows/ice quite a bit.

Those ruts are dramatic closer to Edmonds and I am at a loss to explain that. Alaska replaced the Glenn Highway after 10 years after the ruts became so pronounced it could launch your vehicle into the next lane, but in Alaska it SNOWS...
That could be attributed to PSCZ, which has an effect between Seattle and Everett. I have friends who live in the Edmonds/Kenmore area, and I remember we were at their house when it started snowing really really hard. My husband and I decided to cut our visit short because we know how snow events really affect traffic. It was the strangest thing ever when we finally got to south of DT because it was sunny and partially clear. Our friends said it was still snowing hard and were amazed there was nothing on our side of town. That narrow band of PSCZ does rain/snow just a bit harder than the other areas of Seattle.

OP, did you say you live on Whidbey Island? Do expect to see less rain there. Seattle rains almost 2x as more.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:17 PM

361 posts, read 398,567 times
Quote:
We moved in April and so far we have not had but a sprinkle or two. Is this due to the global warming or is it traditionally not to wet in the summer months?
This is exactly the BIGGEST mistake a lot of transplants make when moving to Washington State. And that is, visiting Washington during the late Spring or summer season. They think that Washington is nice, sunny and warm year round. When winter comes, the days are shorter and it's definitely colder outside. If it's sunny during a winter day, it's usually REALLY REALLY COLD outside. I know some folks from my previous church who moved back to California or back to their home state because they made the mistake of visiting here during the summer season, only to find out that they could not handle the late fall, winter and early spring seasons here.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
This is exactly the BIGGEST mistake a lot of transplants make when moving to Washington State. And that is, visiting Washington during the late Spring or summer season. They think that Washington is nice, sunny and warm year round. When winter comes, the days are shorter and it's definitely colder outside. If it's sunny during a winter day, it's usually REALLY REALLY COLD outside. I know some folks from my previous church who moved back to California or back to their home state because they made the mistake of visiting here during the summer season, only to find out that they could not handle the late fall, winter and early spring seasons here.
So true. If it's sunny outside in the winter, be prepared for how cold it might be. Those clouds give us a nice balmy blanket of warmth that keeps our typical winter temperatures in the 40s. Once or twice we usually get several days of the super clear sunny and cold days. When the clouds return, we get to go back to light waterproof jackets.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:47 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
After the cold, wet winter we had, I'm definitely enjoying this drier, sunnier than normal summer we've been having.

But don't let it fool you - the rain and the grey WILL be back!

Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
No Mistake. We visited in February and March (and during the last wind storm). Being from Alaska I can assure you I know cold. We don't mind the rain, in fact we like it. When I came down the last time it was -72 in the Yukon. We know cold

Old 08-27-2017, 06:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
After the cold, wet winter we had, I'm definitely enjoying this drier, sunnier than normal summer we've been having.

But don't let it fool you - the rain and the grey WILL be back!
Good, can't wait. So over this weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area