Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 03:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Noah, I'd knock Tampa off the final list. I don't think any company right now is going to voluntarily put themselves in hurricane alley.
Companies do it all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 03:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
I think Portland would be too close. You would think they'd want to be in a different region of the country to expand their corporate footprint.
True but I would love it if it was Portland. It would be so much better if our strength was regional rather than piling into downtown Seattle.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Companies do it all the time...
To their own detriment. It would be nice to think that some company boards actually exercise foresight. You know, like responsible, intelligent board members are supposed to do.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
I hope it's Minneapolis/St Paul, but Chicago would be fine as well as any midwest city as far as I'm concerned. Maybe my husband could move to a group based out of #2. I could be back near family, 4 seasons and nice midwestern people.

Couldn't it also be in Canada?

Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM

426 posts, read 527,002 times
Surprisingly Tampa doesn't get hurricanes that often. Last one there was 1920's, though not sure about Irma.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 PM

235 posts, read 269,698 times
Amazon said North America, not just US. Expect Toronto and Calgary to put together some good proposals.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/am...al-to-seattle/

Interesting, I thought Amazon was all in on growing as much as they need to here in Seattle. Is it just a matter of their HQ growth plans are too big for Seattle to handle as far as finding enough talent so they need to spread that out a bit? Sad in a way to see that growth in Seattle will be curtailed at some point as new growth will be added in another city down the road!
My question is why you think it "sad" that growth will be curtailed in Seattle? Do you enjoy the stifling traffic and hordes of people as well as super-escalating housing prices and rents? What's in it for you?

Old 09-07-2017, 04:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
My question is why you think it "sad" that growth will be curtailed in Seattle? Do you enjoy the stifling traffic and hordes of people as well as super-escalating housing prices and rents? What's in it for you?
I'm fine with sharing some of this growth. I'm grateful to Amazon and all the other companies that have moved here, it's great, but our growth is a bit insane. If we can turn a purple area blue, all the better. So if it can't be Portland, OR, then make it something like Ohio.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
If you own property there that's all good.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think it's smart for huge businesses that end up choking off cities and entire regions (the Bay Area comes to mind) with their presence, to spin off satellite locations in other states. This spreads the wealth, so to speak--spreads the job growth around, and minimizes the negative effects of real estate skyrocketing, traffic congestion, and other issues that arise.

I also think that cities slated to be on the receiving end of this growth phenomenon should think twice about whether they even want that. What if Amazon chose Bellingham? It would ruin the city and the beauty of the region. Does Bellingham need jobs? Definitely. Does it need to be overwhelmed by a mega-provider of jobs? That's a different question. What small, scenic towns like that need, is moderate job growth, not something that would overwhelm the area.

One good example of this is Boeing; Boeing is divided between Everett and Federal Way, plus they have another division around Kansas City somewhere. It works for them. Seattle gets jobs, and KC gets jobs.
Renton is insulted here. The 737 plant is in Renton, not Federal Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area