Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times

Advertisements

Oh , if I am just dreaming here , I guess a small place in West Seattle .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Oh , if I am just dreaming here , I guess a small place in West Seattle .
Same here. I still love the vibe there. Probably stems from it being the first Seattle neighborhood I stepped into.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:26 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Beacon Hill

Old 09-11-2017, 01:28 PM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
Any neighborhood not in Seattle city limits.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

"...The large price gains might seem familiar to the gains of the previous up market of 2004-2007, but the environment is much different, and that is why we are not headed toward a housing collapse.

Lending Requirements

(..)Lending requirements are much more stringent now than what they were prior to the fall of the housing market.
Previous lending practices allowed people to get into homes with risky debt-to-income ratios, low credit scores and undocumented incomes. They called this sub-prime lending. A large part of why the housing bubble burst 10 years ago was due to people getting into mortgages they were not equipped to handle, which lend to the eventual fall of sub-prime lending. Currently, the average credit score over the last 12 months according to Ellie Mae was 724. During the days of sub-prime lending people were funding loans with scores as low as 560! This, coupled with many zero-down loan programs and the risky terms mentioned above left many new homeowners with little to no equity. When you have little or no equity it is very easy to just walk away.

Sounds like salesman talking points. The reality is that only a credit score of 580 is required to get a mortgage now (look up FHA) and 3.5% down. They say tight credit but that was more like in 2012 then today. Ratios can go pretty high now. Granted, many in Seattle aren't in that category but don't mistake that means the entire metro doesn't have these buyers. On top of that when you have a 25% rise in income but a 100% rise in values it means ratios are getting stretched for new buyers and for renters, hard to get around the economics.

When in the last 20 years did price increases nicely slow down but continue. You've had large increased followed by hard times (2000, 2008).

Old 09-11-2017, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 17,165 times
when do you think the current house bubble will burst? I will get my cash ready ...

Old 09-11-2017, 07:39 PM

351 posts, read 342,306 times
"Bubble" won't burst unless Amazon goes down, which is nowhere close to happening anytime soon

Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
"Bubble" won't burst unless Amazon goes down, which is nowhere close to happening anytime soon
I tend to agree, but with some caution. Remember the 2008 bubble was not a local event, it was national, though it impacted different regions in different ways. I predict the next one will be similar, but the timing is unknown.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
ah, another Wishful Thinking thread.

The entire world is getting a lot more crowded. People have to live and play somewhere.

The rift in Classes gets wider. Those with more will keep paying more for the places to live that they consider to be nicer.

Good luck on that Bubble Popping thing.

We took the money and ran to a cheaper place that has some tradeoffs that we figure are worthwhile for the financial and less-crowds advantage. Maybe if we hung onto our Kirkland house, it would have continued to skyrocket in price....along with the crowds pushing that price.

Of course where we moved, people are complaining about traffic and too many people. That is sort of a World issue. Heck, we recently visited a "remote" section of Northern CA coast and I was shocked by how much more crowded it was since being there last a couple years ago.

People need to go somewhere. The competition is fierce.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
ah, another Wishful Thinking thread.

The entire world is getting a lot more crowded. People have to live and play somewhere.

The rift in Classes gets wider. Those with more will keep paying more for the places to live that they consider to be nicer.

Good luck on that Bubble Popping thing.

We took the money and ran to a cheaper place that has some tradeoffs that we figure are worthwhile for the financial and less-crowds advantage. Maybe if we hung onto our Kirkland house, it would have continued to skyrocket in price....along with the crowds pushing that price.

Of course where we moved, people are complaining about traffic and too many people. That is sort of a World issue. Heck, we recently visited a "remote" section of Northern CA coast and I was shocked by how much more crowded it was since being there last a couple years ago.

People need to go somewhere. The competition is fierce.
Bend for lower housing costs? Really? Don't mean to 2nd guess that decision, but there are certainly cheaper areas in the NW. Ellensburg, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla, Hermiston, Pendleton, LaGrande, Lewiston/Clarkston, on and on.

Bend is the eastern playground for the rich of Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area