Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdad1969 View Post
I'm sorry that was a double post but I researched the city ....white is a neighborhood Redmond is a city / suburb ,I'm not ignorant , I'm just incredibly desperate to live and have listened to the wrong people obviously ....like king county human services and dozens of other people and organizations I've called lied to me .
If you are serious about coming here, and eventually hoping to buy in Brinnon (you will need a car for just about anything, with only a small grocer and gas station there) I suggest looking at Craigslist Olympic Penninsula. There are people in the Sequim/Port Angeles/Joyce or Aberdeen/Hoquiam areas that rent out small mobiles on their property, and apartments are much less than the Seattle metro, though still more than $800 unless you get real lucky. Look also at apartments in Kitsap County (Bremerton). This is about the cheapest thing I could find:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/a...303465156.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 01:43 PM

128 posts, read 147,866 times
Op, Bellingham and Olympia are 1+ hour away by car, triple that time if you're taking public transportation. As others have stated, Seattle and the surrounding areas are extremely expensive. Even more so for someone on fixed income and health issues. We are into the fall/winter weather now so the temperatures are going to get colder and rainier, not at all suitable for someone who may be on the streets or in non-ideal housing (RVs, etc.). We don't know what you are told by the human services folks nor do we know what you asked them about.

If you are absolutely set on living in Seattle for the remainder of your time (assuming Christmas), there is the option to sell your house that is fully owned at a fire sale price to gain the equity in cash immediately, which will help you with an apartment deposit or even pre-pay months of rent incase the landlord is hesitant due to your lack of income. I'll tell you right now this is not the recommended option since it is going to leave your wife high and dry with no income and a very expensive city to live in once you have passed.

With your medical issues, have you thought about living in other cities near hospitals. Pittsburgh is not too far from you (I assume NE Ohio) and have excellent hospital systems, and it is far cheaper there than Seattle.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you are serious about coming here, and eventually hoping to buy in Brinnon (you will need a car for just about anything, with only a small grocer and gas station there) I suggest looking at Craigslist Olympic Penninsula. There are people in the Sequim/Port Angeles/Joyce or Aberdeen/Hoquiam areas that rent out small mobiles on their property, and apartments are much less than the Seattle metro, though still more than $800 unless you get real lucky. Look also at apartments in Kitsap County (Bremerton). This is about the cheapest thing I could find:

There are 1-br. apartments in and around Port Townsend/Chimacum for $800. Kitsap is more expensive. But if the OP is going through the Soc. Security admin, that could be a whole different ballpark. They may, indeed, have something for him in Seattle. In which case, I'm not sure why he'd need us.

OP, you could look in Burien (Seattle suburb) for slightly cheaper rents, but that still won't be workable with your limited budget. You'll either have to look elsewhere in Western Washington, or score a subsidized unit.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-18-2017 at 02:48 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org

In the Seattle area, expect a 6-month to 1-year waiting list. Shorter waiting lists well outside of the Seattle metro-area. Properties for "Seniors/Persons with Disability" are mostly for seniors, with a few units designated for non-senior disabled.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
im not looking for a handout just a hand up.
When you and your wife's household income is only $1100 and you're talking about King County Health and Human Services please do not delude yourself into thinking you're asking for "just a hand up". You are talking about serious taxpayer help. It is absolutely impossible that one can afford transportation, housing, food and medical care on $1100 a month. Most 1 bedroom apartments are more than $1100 in the area. My friend and her family are living on about $3000 (and some extra that's not reported to the IRS) and she's in subsidized housing. Her subsidized rent is over $1300 (3 bedrooms though). She goes to the food bank, gets her medical care via the VA and she and her family still struggles.. I've cleaned out my fridge for her a few times... You are talking about 1/3 of that... holy moly!

Starting the thread off by saying you don't want to hear anything negative and presenting nothing but a horrifyingly risky proposition is denying reality.

And buying a bus ticket without understanding what you're getting into is reckless.

And you mention Brinnon.. that's not King County so asking about King County services won't work if you live that far out.

There is a lot of wealth in King County, but it doesn't just rub off on you the moment you pass the county line. We have a serious, serious problem right now with homelessness, drug abuse and mental illness. The gap between rich and poor is increasing. It sounds like you are barely holding on in Ohio. Even just trying to come out here could really kill you based on what you've said!

Please consider everything and don't deny the ugly reality you are facing. I'm sorry. I don't know what happened in your life to put you in such a terrible place.

The weather is about to turn. It's absolutely not safe for you to come out here with less than $500 and your disability check. You have a home in Ohio. You may not like the neighbors, but you have a home there! And I can't imagine you'd be denied welfare.

Here is what I've found:

[url]https://jfs.ohio.gov/ocomm/fpl.stm[/url]

Your annual income is $13,200 and the US federal poverty level for 2017 is $16,240. You would need to make 130% to no longer be eligible for nutrition assistance. Obviously you're not even making 100%.

I'm sure at your income level you are eligible under medicaid as well.

I hope you consider all of this and keep yourself safe.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
When you and your wife's household income is only $1100 and you're talking about King County Health and Human Services please do not delude yourself into thinking you're asking for "just a hand up". You are talking about serious taxpayer help. It is absolutely impossible that one can afford transportation, housing, food and medical care on $1100 a month. Most 1 bedroom apartments are more than $1100 in the area. My friend and her family are living on about $3000 (and some extra that's not reported to the IRS) and she's in subsidized housing. Her subsidized rent is over $1300 (3 bedrooms though). She goes to the food bank, gets her medical care via the VA and she and her family still struggles.. I've cleaned out my fridge for her a few times... You are talking about 1/3 of that... holy moly!

Starting the thread off by saying you don't want to hear anything negative and presenting nothing but a horrifyingly risky proposition is denying reality.

And buying a bus ticket without understanding what you're getting into is reckless.

And you mention Brinnon.. that's not King County so asking about King County services won't work if you live that far out.

There is a lot of wealth in King County, but it doesn't just rub off on you the moment you pass the county line. We have a serious, serious problem right now with homelessness, drug abuse and mental illness. The gap between rich and poor is increasing. It sounds like you are barely holding on in Ohio. Even just trying to come out here could really kill you based on what you've said!

Please consider everything and don't deny the ugly reality you are facing. I'm sorry. I don't know what happened in your life to put you in such a terrible place.

The weather is about to turn. It's absolutely not safe for you to come out here with less than $500 and your disability check. You have a home in Ohio. You may not like the neighbors, but you have a home there! And I can't imagine you'd be denied welfare.

Here is what I've found:

https://jfs.ohio.gov/ocomm/fpl.stm

Your annual income is $13,200 and the US federal poverty level for 2017 is $16,240. You would need to make 130% to no longer be eligible for nutrition assistance. Obviously you're not even making 100%.

I'm sure at your income level you are eligible under medicaid as well.

I hope you consider all of this and keep yourself safe.
Excellent and thoughtful post. Struggling with the logic here. Choosing one of the most expensive cities on the West Coast doesn't make sense.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:01 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I will concur with what others have said here in that it doesn't sound like a good idea. Have you thought of maybe Spokane instead?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

I wouldn't count on anything in the Bremerton area in Kitsap county being affordable. Now that they're building apartments for Seattle workers, rents over here are going sky high. Studios in the new apartment buildings here are going for $800/month, last I heard.

OP, anything on the Seattle side of the water is going to be too expensive. I'll be living on a couple hundred more bucks than you and I'm not even thinking of trying to live anywhere from Bellingham down to Tacoma. When I first came out here, I already had an apartment lined up with the first month's rent paid, a job, and the moving expenses paid for. You can come out here with $500, but that will get you about 3 nights in a hotel room if you're lucky and that's it. And how are you planning to move out here, anyway? In 2001, it cost me a ton of money to rent a U-haul and drive up here, towing my car. And it'd be a lot more now.

And by the way, $500 isn't even going to get you in the door. Landlords here want first, last and security upfront, a clean credit report, and usually a recommendation from your previous landlord. The cheapest places I know of are trailer parks and they're renting now for over $600 and $700 per month.

Section 8 over here is by lottery - you could enter the Section 8 lottery for the rest of your life and not get a voucher. Even if you do get on the list and/or get a voucher, the rate of people finding landlords to take this voucher was only at about 64% year before last. If you don't find someone to take your voucher after 6 months, it goes back into the pool.

And I wouldn't count on getting a lot of money in food stamps. As I said, I'm getting just a little more than you and right now, I'm eligible for only $15/month in food stamps.

There are low income places to live around this area but again, most of them have been bought out by investors for the Seattle workers and the tenants are all kicked out for remodeling. When remodeling is done, the rents are too high for most of the former tenants to get back in. So be aware if you find low cost housing around the Bremerton area, it may not be for long.

I'd say sell your house first. Then when you have upwards of $20,000 or $30,000+ in cash in your hand, that would be the time to come out here.

When my final back payment for disability comes in next year, I'll be spending $20,000 on land (I hope) and because that will take everything I've got, I plan to car camp for another couple years to save to get a place to put on that land. I'm lots older than you and while I have a pretty debilitating physical problem, I'm not in danger of dying anytime soon. But this is what it's coming down to for people to find and keep a place to live.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
I bought non refundable bus tickets already and all we have is 500 cash so I guess I'll have my wife stay home and I'll come to Washington for the assisted suicide since everyone says there's no way to survive in Washington in my position , it's either make it or take a dirt nap I'm all out of choices.
You can't just come here and assume you'll get Assisted suicide. There's a process, which involves being a WA resident and having a DR ok it. Finding that Dr is going to take you awhile. Don't think things are that simple, it's not meant to be.

Quote:
What about the motor home/travel trailer parks ? They are beeteween 300-500 a month.........
Where are you finding these cheap parks? You'd be paying around $125 to $300 a week in King County, assuming there's even a vacancy. Even the sketch places are full. When my husband was looking around last year, the cheapest and decent place was up close to Arlington and even they were going more than $500 a month.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
There are trailer parks where you buy the trailer and the space rent can be as low as $375 to $400. Maybe that's what the OP meant. I'm bypassing that solution myself because even though I could afford to buy a trailer next year and be able to afford $400, I know I sure won't be able to afford what the space rent will be in ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you mean "White Center"? That's in West Seattle, higher crime area. What did King Co. svcs & other orgs tell you? And why Seattle, specifically, vs. cities elsewhere in the region (not suburbs; Olympia is the state capital, and Bellingham is up by the Canadian border)? You can't afford anywhere in or near Seattle, unless you're eligible for subsidized housing through SSDI. If that's what you're counting on, you should have mentioned that. That's why you're getting the brush-off from our members. They're thinking in terms of basic, standard rents.
Something else just occurred to me. Does anyone know if you have to be a resident before you qualify for subsidized housing?

Also, even if he is eligible, it could take him years to work up to the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area