Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

https://olympic.craigslist.org/apa/d...276088110.html

Just an example. Second floor, so likely not accessible. Is in the nicer area of Aberdeen. Decent bus system. Local hospital.

https://olympic.craigslist.org/search/apa (Search on "Aberdeen", then pan out.)

To find other units in the area, check local property management firms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 PM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
Rodentraiser, make sure you are allowed to car camp on any property before you buy, a lot counties and cities will not allow this. Also, check with neighbors how they feel about it, I could imagine not a lot of people would appreciate it and they could become a very expensive nuisance.

OP, it's not just Seattle, Bellingham might be more "affordable" (at least compared to Seattle), it has a very low vacancy rate, which means landlords can be picky and you don't even have first, last and deposit. Ruth said there are apartments for $800 around Kitsap, but again I have a hard time believing you will find anyone that will rent an apartment when you only make $1,100 a month. You said your wife doesn't work so that means the $300 has to support two adults.

If by some miracle upon miracle you do find an apartment, it will be in a meth/heroine town with high property crimes, not exactly improving your situation not to mention that it will be far from medical care.

What are you going to do when you get off the bus? Where are you going to sleep? Your savings will be eaten through in maybe a week and then what?

Exhaust the social safety net in Ohio, at least there you have a roof over your head. Talk to your doctors about medical options, use the ER if you have to, go to soup kitchens, food banks, call Social Security, call the office that handles food stamps and ask for resources.

Finally assisted suicide is for the very end of life, it sounds like you are going to be gravely ill, because you can not get your medicine, doctors will only go forward with this option if there are no more options. You can't just walk up to a doctor and expect them to help you die, there is an extensive process patients have to go through.

Again, my deepest condolences that you are going through this, but Washington state doesn't have the answers you are looking for.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 PM

450 posts, read 549,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I will concur with what others have said here in that it doesn't sound like a good idea. Have you thought of maybe Spokane instead?
Reading between the lines I think OP wants to come here because he's heard about generous WA state benefits for people like him, better benefits than Ohio

Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Could be, but it appears he didn't also take into account that the greater cost of living in Seattle is going to eat up whatever increase in benefits he gets.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:19 PM

The Ohio GOP is trying to "freeze" Kasich's expanded Medicaid. Any gap in eligibility, from earning too much money in a month, for instance, and you wouldn't be able to re-enroll. Kasich vetoed an earlier bill and the Ohio GOP is threatening an override. After receiving SSD benefits for two years he'll be automatically enrolled in Medicare (A & B). $1,100 income would make him ineligible for regular Medicaid. I don't know if he's on expanded Medicaid, but if he is, that could be motivation for the move.

To find rents he can afford and landlords who will rent to him, he'll need to look well outside of the Seattle/Puget Sound area: Centralia/Chehalis, Longview/Kelso, Aberdeen/Hoquiam, Yakima, etc. In the meantime, he can use the aptfinder.org link I provided earlier to get on waiting lists for subsidized apartments (with rents set at 30% of income minus medical expenses) in more desirable areas.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdad1969 View Post
I found a low cost house but can't sell mine to buy it and loans are out of the question due to my income north east Ohio is not cheap neither is anything around in other states, I've watched Craigslist prices on cars and trucks and the are 2 to 3 times cheaper than out here , you can't buy anything out here for less than a grand unless it's rotted apart has a blown motor and trans and has no title.which in the state of Ohio no title means it has to be crushed if the last titled owner can't or won't apply for the list title the state has to crush the vehicle.every place out here is 2k a month or is in a neighbor hood full of gangs and heroin addicts the utilities on my house in the country cost nearly what I get in disability and now the county has lowered the amount to qualify for food assistance and medical assistance so we can't get either one without county help medical out of pocket after federal insurance is 2 times more than my income.the state is forcing the poor out but giving benefits to heroin addicts no questions asked.ive researched from Seattle to brinnon for 6 months but all I hear is you gotta come and look in person, I'm scared I'm terminally ill .
For what it is worth there are better parts of Ohio for disability and affordability. It is really specific to the county. But if I were looking to relocate to a state with good benefits Minnesota would be much higher on my list than Washington. It's so much more affordable but has really excellent Medicaid and waivers for assistance. Lots of community resources too, and you can actually find decent housing in almost any part of the state for a great price. The outskirts of St Paul would be a great blend for access and affordability, if you wanted to stay more suburban.

But Seattle, though a lovely city, isn't really a good choice based on what you are describing.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The Ohio GOP is trying to "freeze" Kasich's expanded Medicaid. Any gap in eligibility, from earning too much money in a month, for instance, and you wouldn't be able to re-enroll. Kasich vetoed an earlier bill and the Ohio GOP is threatening an override. After receiving SSD benefits for two years he'll be automatically enrolled in Medicare (A & B). $1,100 income would make him ineligible for regular Medicaid. I don't know if he's on expanded Medicaid, but if he is, that could be motivation for the move.

To find rents he can afford and landlords who will rent to him, he'll need to look well outside of the Seattle/Puget Sound area: Centralia/Chehalis, Longview/Kelso, Aberdeen/Hoquiam, Yakima, etc. In the meantime, he can use the aptfinder.org link I provided earlier to get on waiting lists for subsidized apartments (with rents set at 30% of income minus medical expenses) in more desirable areas.
Regardless of what is going on with the Ohio's government, it's still irresponsible and difficult for the OP to try to come over to WA. I've seen posters here tell other people who have 2x, 3x, even 5x the savings/$$ the OP have that it's not enough cushion to try to make it in King county/Western WA. The OP is special needs, he needs medications. It's absolutely smack dab crazy for someone like him with only $500 dollars (and apparently supporting a spouse on his SSI) to try WA. I understand he's desperate and I feel bad for him, but realistically, he needs to find a more local solution. He shouldn't be encouraged to take actions that will put him and his wife in even more dire straits.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Regardless of what is going on with the Ohio's government, it's still irresponsible and difficult for the OP to try to come over to WA. I've seen posters here tell other people who have 2x, 3x, even 5x the savings/$$ the OP have that it's not enough cushion to try to make it in King county/Western WA. The OP is special needs, he needs medications. It's absolutely smack dab crazy for someone like him with only $500 dollars (and apparently supporting a spouse on his SSI) to try WA. I understand he's desperate and I feel bad for him, but realistically, he needs to find a more local solution. He shouldn't be encouraged to take actions that will put him and his wife in even more dire straits.
If he's getting $1,100, it is SSD, not SSI.

Merely saying what his motivation might be, not that the move is wise.

If he's bound and determined, however, I suggested the only way I can think of doing it - move to the least desirable areas of the state where rent is still cheap enough for him to afford it, then get on waiting lists until a subsidized apartment becomes available (possibly a year or more) in a more desirable area. Yes, if I were him I'd be looking at other places than here.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Here's a studio in Olympia for $600. There are 1-br's available for $800.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/a...306383888.html

Old 09-18-2017, 11:11 PM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
Ruth, are you sure that isn't a scam? OP, any cheap rental ads should be considered with a tablespoon of salt, lots of people are being scammed out here. I don't know how bad your disability is, but that ad was was for second and third story apartments and you did mention needing to use a wheelchair.

OP, you have no rent, no mortgage, no credit and you can't make ends meet on $1,100 a month, how will moving to a much more expensive state, paying rent, paying more for just about everything make that budget work?

Again, countless people have moved to this state thinking that it would help them, "give them a hand up," but it won't, hence the reason the homeless population keeps growing. Housing prices go up, rental prices soar and services to the needy get slashed to pay for what voters care about and helping the poor is not how people vote. Why do you think this move will make things better for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area