Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 AM

387 posts, read 358,211 times

Advertisements

I lived in NYC for 13 years and I don't think I'll ever wanna go back. It's a glorified trash pit that fosters sociopathic behavior. It's full of delusional egomaniacs who believe the fantasies they've been fed by Mad Men, Sex and the City, Girls and other silly TV shows, people who believe - in spite of the reality they live every day on the decrepit and disgusting MTA, the rude, arrogant people, the huge wealth gap, the terrible customer service, the idiotic, illiterate and innumerate natives and the uppity transplants who call themselves "New Yorkers" after living there three years on their parents' dime - that they are in the greatest city in the world. If you are a glutton who has to have every amenity and good available to you, it's a great place to indulge your consumerst lifestyle, if you make seven figures, that is. Otherwise, there isn't much else going on for that place. The races are all segregated. The housing projects are a constant blight. The buildings are drab and gloomy. There's garbage everywhere. Duane Reade, Chase Bank, and Starbucks are prevalent. I could go on in this vein for a long time since that's what this thread seems to be about - exaggerated, self-indulgent and whiny rants about American cities that don't cater to your every childish whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 AM

638 posts, read 529,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I still don't understand why people think that there is a big imbalance between men and women in Seattle.

There is a much bigger imbalance in favor of men in the East and in Seattle we are short women, particularly working age women:

See the Ratio of Single Men to Women Where You*Live | TIME Labs

http://jonathansoma.com/singles/

East is pink and artsy. A young man like OP has pick of the litter! Look at all those liberal arts majors ready to clean house for a finance salary allowance. It makes a difference even if OP is dating doctors because it ups the competition. Versus Seattle... here, OP has to hustle. He doesn’t like it. That is his right.

In the areas where there are more men, women tend to dress as they want and don’t pair their faces as much.

In areas where there are more women, the heels are higher and the men don’t do nearly as many dishes.

That said I am in a relationship with a great guy—don’t know if in my flip flops and cutoffs I meet OP’s standards but I can cook and best of all I pay my own way. (Edit: I mean I am not asking for a free lunch, not that my partner is desperate and the only thing he wants is money. The conclusions some people will make on the Internet, my god, OP needs a psychiatrist, I am only desirable for money... yeesh!)

OP needs to go home. It is truly that simple. He hates Seattle. He wants his bonus. He feels stuck because he hasn’t fully accepted the consequences of his choice. No psychologist or matchmaker needed.

Last edited by Neerwhal; 10-03-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
Quote:
I still don't understand why people think that there is a big imbalance between men and women in Seattle.

I don't either , I get hit on all the time by the 30 yr+ men from (always married ) IT execs to the 35 yr old dock worker who stood next to me downtown at the last STP concert to some Seahawks personnel ( no not the players some of them went to school with my kids back in Tx.) and I am 55 !!! These men aren't desperate nor ugly . It does not bother my euro husband and certainly not me but a southern liberal is a rare breed ........... I do dress and wear make up and like to go do stuff . Just because I like it.

If I were single I would have a blast but I will say if the only reason they are with me is because I am able to pay my own way - no thanks - I can and do but not at someones command or on some kind of checklist.

What is really amusing is the amount of entitlement on this thread. I'm going as fast as I can, you will have to wait for me to save up though . That fire put a BIG dent in our plans .

Working at Boeing( unless you are up HIGH - execs - NOT IT ) no longer allows you to live here but by a thread and one day some of these people talking down like this are going to be in the same bind . Unless they become part of the upper echelon of the co they work for .

As most know my husband is from THE NETHERLANDS - it offends a non dutch poster here if I get lazy and call it Holland like the old people who actually live there do . He has always been grossed out by Antwerp just over the border . It IS gross .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 10-03-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance2Tech View Post
NYC and Seattle are fundamentally different: night and day. If I were married and had kids, Seattle would be very high on my list. Let's just leave it at that.
Good point! I think an orientation towards family would fit in well in this area.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
OP needs to go home. It is truly that simple. He hates Seattle.
Perhaps some people are happiest in the largest, most cosmopolitan, world class cities.

Which Seattle isn't.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
The are some beautiful girls in Seattle but are mostly taken by guys already. Very few girls are left for the taking. Better off in Salt Lake City: more of them there and single.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Women in Seattle are not flirtatious , uber-feminine , dressed to kill , sassy and sexy like in New York , Chicago, Miami or most other cities.
I guess this answers my question, at least partly. I wouldn't have guessed, because I think the women here are just fine as they are.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:23 AM

135 posts, read 164,506 times
Quote:
Perhaps some people are happiest in the largest, most cosmopolitan, world class cities.

Which Seattle isn't.
Correct.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I guess this answers my question, at least partly. I wouldn't have guessed, because I think the women here are just fine as they are.

I go out a lot, and since moving here in January, I've seen around 10-15 women I find attractive. When I went back to visit Chicago this summer, I saw more gorgeous women in one weekend night than in all my time in Seattle. The difference between NYC/Chicago and Seattle is so enormous that it is mind boggling. Living in Seattle has made me truly appreciate cosmopolitan world-class cities (which Seattle is obviously not).

Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I don't either , I get hit on all the time by the 30 yr+ men from (always married ) IT execs to the 35 yr old dock worker who stood next to me downtown at the last STP concert to some Seahawks personnel ( no not the players some of them went to school with my kids back in Tx.) and I am 55 !!! These men aren't desperate nor ugly . It does not bother my euro husband and certainly not me but a southern liberal is a rare breed ........... I do dress and wear make up and like to go do stuff . Just because I like it.

If I were single I would have a blast but I will say if the only reason they are with me is because I am able to pay my own way - no thanks - I can and do but not at someones command or on some kind of checklist.

What is really amusing is the amount of entitlement on this thread. I'm going as fast as I can, you will have to wait for me to save up though . That fire put a BIG dent in our plans .

Working at Boeing( unless you are up HIGH - execs - NOT IT ) no longer allows you to live here but by a thread and one day some of these people talking down like this are going to be in the same bind . Unless they become part of the upper echelon of the co they work for .

As most know my husband is from THE NETHERLANDS - it offends a non dutch poster here if I get lazy and call it Holland like the old people who actually live there do . He has always been grossed out by Antwerp just over the border . It IS gross .

Uh yeah, the imbalance in Seattle favors women. That was the whole point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area