Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 06:11 PM

157 posts, read 186,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well I think that's part of the problem. South Lake Union IS boring as hell.

Amazon's failing efforts to build a neighborhood could be a bad omen - Business Insider

The consolidation of tech tends to have a very sterilizing effect on the host area. So we can talk about how quickly Seattle is growing or how much it's "booming" but long term I think we have to ask ourselves what sort of city do we want to be?
I think it is a bit premature to call SLU a failure. Fact is that downtown Seattle was fairly modest as recently as 15 years ago, and vibrant 18 hr/day neighborhoods generally don't just spring up overnight. Economic development (much of it Amazon) led to increased jobs and daytime vibrancy. But it will take another 5-10 years to fully build out all of the residential density to where you have a large enough local populace to extend that vibrancy beyond business hours, but it is on track to happen.

Now I don't ever expect a "new urban neighborhood" basically built from scratch to ever have the same character as one that grows up more organically. For example, Pioneer Square has much more potential than SLU because of its legacy architecture and layout that lends more character and a better pedestrian experience. But that does not mean SLU is somehow doomed to remain sterile and empty after 5PM. It just happens to still be largely under construction at the moment- but has good potential due to its geography. It really helps that it is flat and contiguous with the city's densest neighborhoods and Lake Union itself.

It likely will always be too high rent to support great indie type shops and restaurants. I expect it will be more like Streeterville in Chicago (with downtown Pike/Pine being more like the Mag Mile), with tons of expensive highrises and lots of pricey hotels. And that type of neighborhood tends not to be a favorite with locals (for good reason.) But that type of neighborhood helps the downtown overall by increasing the size and scope of the downtown and increasing the base of local consumers that live and walk to all of the downtown neighborhoods. You put 15,000 residents in SLU, all of whom want a "urban lifestyle" and it really should help support increased vibrancy in Belltown LQA, downtown, Pioneer Sqr, the International District and SODO, even if SLU itself is more "sterile" in terms of its dining and retail due to high rents.

Last edited by tkz4; 10-07-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
Seattle has vibrancy

(1) at Green Lake on sunny weekends
(2) at Capital Hill on Saturday nights
(3) at/around Husky Stadium on game days like today
(4) on Lake Union in the Summer
(5) on the Burke-Gillman trail almost always

for example.

What's lifeless is residential neighborhoods since most houses aren't occupied by families but rather by aged hippies or no one (i.e. Chinese investors) or a dozen random 20-somethings. Like 90% of Seattle looks like Detroit.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Are we having a bad day?
that is easy in seattle wa

Old 10-07-2017, 08:29 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,189 times
"Seattle is utterly soulless".

Ok...move.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:10 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
That's what it comes down to, Masterful. If a place doesn't work for someone, find someplace that does. Life is too short to wake up each day and feel unfulfilled and miserable. I still love it here and many others do too.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:14 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance2Tech View Post
It lacks the diversity, urban dynamism, nightlife, and social energy of a truly great city such as NYC and Chicago. Rather, it is a glorified suburb and company town, filled with tech robots whose lives revolve around coding.
The fact that Seattle lacks diversity is one of it's biggest selling points honestly. You get to say that you live in Seattle; therefore, you're open minded, but you don'r ever have to actually live next to blacks anf browns,

Old 10-08-2017, 12:23 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Yuch jrt, I hope you don't feel that way yourself. As I mentioned before, "Maybe our diversity looks different than your definition. There is plenty here though if you open your eyes. Huge Ethiopian, Eritrean, Somali communities. Korean, Mexican, Central American, Filipino, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, East Indian, Chinese, Thai, Sudanese, Pacific Islander too".

Old 10-08-2017, 01:28 PM

8,866 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Some people like jrt aren't prepared to live in the real world.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
If a place doesn't work for someone, find someplace that does.
What are you looking for in life? For example, if I were looking for a place to raise a family, I would choose Seattle over NYC.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Most single men only need three things to be happy

1. a good paying job in
2. a city with decent nightlife and
3. a decent selection of women.

Take one of these away and his experience will begin to decline. Take two away and he will most likely be extremely miserable.
One thing I've noticed about Seattle. One would expect that there would be many single women in this region, but I have attended dating events and social mixers, and usually the ratio of men to women is significantly greater than 1. I recall one event where I volunteered to help check people in, and based on a rough count of people on the list, there were about 30 men and 12 women, for a 2.5 to 1 male/female ratio.

It appears to me that I meet some women at events, but they are not really interested in meet guys. For example, I met one girl near the beginning of an event, and she said she was a high school teacher. Sometime during the event, I wanted to ask for her number but she had left. Because I knew where she worked, I looked up her name on the school's directory, and sent a brief note asking why she had left early. She replied that she had left early because there were no guys at the event that she was interested in, even though there were many guys at the event who likely had better jobs and were better-looking than me.

Therefore, this was one rejection that was not too disappointing to me, because she apparently rejected all of the guys at the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area