Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
No he has a point. The jungle Amazon built in SLU is soulless as well as all the new condos that replaced the character filled old homes that were in Ballard, Beacon Hill and North Seattle. Its not all rosy going foward. Everywhere tech people invade they don't add much flavor to a city.
The OP just seems like a whiner, but you do make an important point, 87112. Has any dimension of life in Seattle been improved by the tech influx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:36 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The OP just seems like a whiner, but you do make an important point, 87112. Has any dimension of life in Seattle been improved by the tech influx?

Lots of khaki pants sold, I have no idea. I have been to San Jose, Redmond, Denver and some other tech hubs. Never wanted to go back really except if some money was waiting for me there. OTOH poorer places like Tijuana, Small towns in Poor countries, have soul and I go there for visits.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sure would be nice if the people complaining about Seattle would quickly relocate to another location. Why suffer when a better place can be found? We are growing ridiculously fast, with cranes everywhere. The midwest will be cheaper and maybe they will have a better chance finding a date. If New York or Chicago is preferable, by all means, go to there. Life is too short to be so unhappy.

Seattle once again nation’s fastest-growing big city; population exceeds 700,000

"For the first time, Seattle is adding more people on average each year than during the post-Gold-Rush boom years. We’ve never grown this fast, and we’ve never been this populous."

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...xceeds-700000/

/thread.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:41 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We enjoy Seattle all around. Our families like coming here and we la la luv Whidbey.
Agree. I like Seattle and other cities.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Change is constant. Just ask those who lived here in the early 20th century. Of course, you can't. But I think trying to bring Seattle back to another time is pointless. Move onward and upward. Oh, I guess this was the theme of the 1962 Worlds Fair, too. I wonder how many thought Seattle was soulless in the 1910's, 1920's, 1960's, etc. Adapt, or move somewhere else. Time marches on.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sure would be nice if the people complaining about Seattle would quickly relocate to another location. Why suffer when a better place can be found? We are growing ridiculously fast, with cranes everywhere. The midwest will be cheaper and maybe they will have a better chance finding a date. If New York or Chicago is preferable, by all means, go to there. Life is too short to be so unhappy.

Seattle once again nation’s fastest-growing big city; population exceeds 700,000

"For the first time, Seattle is adding more people on average each year than during the post-Gold-Rush boom years. We’ve never grown this fast, and we’ve never been this populous."

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...xceeds-700000/
Well I think that's part of the problem. South Lake Union IS boring as hell.

Amazon's failing efforts to build a neighborhood could be a bad omen - Business Insider

The consolidation of tech tends to have a very sterilizing effect on the host area. So we can talk about how quickly Seattle is growing or how much it's "booming" but long term I think we have to ask ourselves what sort of city do we want to be?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well I think that's part of the problem. South Lake Union IS boring as hell.

Amazon's failing efforts to build a neighborhood could be a bad omen - Business Insider

The consolidation of tech tends to have a very sterilizing effect on the host area. So we can talk about how quickly Seattle is growing or how much it's "booming" but long term I think we have to ask ourselves what sort of city do we want to be?
That is indeed a good point. There definitely is a sterile feel to SLU. Back in the late 80's there was a plan to make SLU into a grand "Central Park" concept, but for whatever reason, never happened, (but probably due to developers losing potential future revenue). However, if that plan had come to pass, imagine what it might have looked like today. A grand park with high rises around the edges. Sound familiar to anyone from a city called NYC?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:37 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxguy1 View Post
homesinseattle, absolutely love your post. My wife and I are considering moving to the Seattle area from the Midwest and are terrified as we don't know anyone or anything about the area. What you just described is a dream for us. We truly enjoy diversity and experiencing other cultures. The only travel we've had outside of the Midwest has been to Paris, France and we absolutely fell in love with the culture and way of life there, which seems very similar to what you described.

Cant wait to have a chance to visit the area and find some hole in the wall places!
I've been to all of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. and, IMO, Seattle is the most naturally attractive (and I'm an SF Bay Area native). If I moved to Washington, I would prefer a different part of the state (for living), but I enjoy visiting Seattle, and Seattle is obviously going to be far more like Paris than any other place in Washington.

Last edited by RMESMH; 09-30-2017 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: DELETED A SENTENCE THAT ENDED UP DUPLICATING REPLIES DOWNTHREAD FROM THE POST I REPLIED TO

Old 09-30-2017, 10:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How can there be "not enough women" (that perennial complaint), when there are hospitals full of nurses all around town, three universities and several community colleges, not to mention the schools, all staffed by women?
This I don't get.

I haven't noticed a big imbalance in terms of numbers between men and women.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Change is constant. Just ask those who lived here in the early 20th century. Of course, you can't. But I think trying to bring Seattle back to another time is pointless. Move onward and upward. Oh, I guess this was the theme of the 1962 Worlds Fair, too. I wonder how many thought Seattle was soulless in the 1910's, 1920's, 1960's, etc. Adapt, or move somewhere else. Time marches on.
don't you think the people who live in a city ought to be able to decide what kind of changes they want? (provided that's not done in a discriminatory way, of course)

All those boxy new buildings aren't just degrading SLU aesthetically, they've flooded the area with more traffic than its streets can accommodate. Had they been offered a chance to vote on this, wouldn't the people of Seattle have said no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area