Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times

Advertisements

Seattle is very tolerant. Very few will bat an eye at interracial dating. You can choose to live where you want, as long as you can afford it. Doesn't mean you won't run into racists or racism, but it will be the exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
A word of warning we do have some racist organizations in Seattle, the most racist being Black Lives Matter. I have never felt so worthless for being white skinned person in my life than when I hear these bigots in action. Also, I didn't see Black Lives Matter shutting down streets and having any protests when the Australian lady Justine Damond was shot dead by the Minneapolis police officer, Mohamed Noor. However, they are so quick to mobilize and scream bloody murder anytime a black person is shot. I guess they view her as an inferior person because she has white skin and not worthy of their precious time.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:20 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I don't like some things about BLM either. But obviously just because they speak out on one issue doesn't mean they have to focus on all issues that parallel theirs. You're trying to make an ironic point but failing.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
My friends and family members find the racism tends to be subtle and not overt. I don't think there is anywhere in the US where there isn't some racism to be experienced. We've lived a lot of places in the west and midwest, and my family members find this area to be one of the better places in terms of not experiencing as much racism. Your experiences may vary a bit depending on where you end up in the area and your workplace, etc. But overall, I think Seattle is a more accepting, "live and let live" kind of place than many other areas.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
A word of warning we do have some racist organizations in Seattle, the most racist being Black Lives Matter. I have never felt so worthless for being white skinned person in my life than when I hear these bigots in action. Also, I didn't see Black Lives Matter shutting down streets and having any protests when the Australian lady Justine Damond was shot dead by the Minneapolis police officer, Mohamed Noor. However, they are so quick to mobilize and scream bloody murder anytime a black person is shot. I guess they view her as an inferior person because she has white skin and not worthy of their precious time.
This is an Olympia resident talking, OP, not Seattle.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And a regular basher of Seattle and all things liberal...

Not that there aren't things to decry about Seattle (traffic, high rents, chilly social atmosphere, wet/dark winter weather, etc.), but intolerance (except of intolerance) isn't one of them.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:33 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Ruth from reading your posts it appears you haven't lived in the Seattle area for over a decade. So, what makes you so qualified to talk about Seattle being in California?

I have lived in the Puget Sound for over 5 years and was living in the People's Republic of Ballard for the last six months before I moved down to the Olympia area. I'm also a native Oregonian which has a culture and lifestyle that is quite similar to Washington.

I am also an ethnic minority, even if I am a white complected one. With respect to that, I believe it gives me another deeper insight into the realities of racism more than many of the other bleeding heart progressives who keeping shouting out about racism.

There is actually much more diversity where I live in the South Sound than in Seattle proper and all the ethnic tensions I see seem to be confined to the city of Seattle proper. I see black and white people who are friends and they don't go around crying all day about how racist or horrible the opposite person is to them. It is quite refreshing to be in the South Sound where you have all races mingling together and getting along without all the political drama you have in Seattle. All these bleeding hearts are crying about racism and yet hardly have any friends outside their race, culture, political affiliation or mindset. If you want to talk about an insular and myopic-minded group of people, you will find that in Seattle. I'm not saying there isn't open-minded and good people in Seattle, because there are plenty there. However, the large number of judgmental and xenophobic people in Seattle, especially transplants, is staggering and annoying.

The OP wanted to know about racism in Seattle and I shared my feelings. I suppose I have to tell people what they want to hear or I will be labelled racist or be marginalized. That tends to be another Seattleish trait and a trait of many liberal progressives. Free thinking, open-mindedness and having your own opinion is not acceptable.

Another hate group I saw is the Antifa morons having their little protest in Olympia yesterday. They had signs with "The Police are the same as the KKK. Fight Hate." These same hypocrites would be fast to run to the police for help and respect the police protection that my tax dollars are paying for while they have their little protest downtown so that nobody tries to hurt any of them. I am not one to always give respect to the police, but Thurston County cops are some of the most tolerant I have seen and here these bozos are calling them Klansmen.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I was just letting the op know that she wouldn"t run into you in seattle so not to worry as you live in olympia

Old 10-07-2017, 07:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
People tend to think of racism as something overt and in-your-face, and overlook subtle racism. The Seattle area doesn't have the overt kind, but those small moments of subtle racism can crop up. That's my observation as a white person observing over a couple of decades in Seattle, and stepping up to the plate, when necessary. OTOH, there's a lot of opportunity in the area, if you have the skills employers need.
This is absolutely true. While I spent a very short time in Seattle, and it being an obviously liberal city, I feel that I wouldn't describe it as tolerant.
Me and my friend were heckled for smoking a cigarette, my step father for smoking a cigar. Went to Tavolata and just got a sense of "you don't belong here" by the young pretty white women sitting at the communal table with us.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Cigar smoking in public is douchey, flat out. Cigarette smokers should also stay a long way away from people, and never upwind. This stuff should be obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area