Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 AM

93 posts, read 364,837 times

Advertisements

i find the HOV concept to be quite interesting.

I can totally understand HOV if new lanes were going to be built - however, in driving through greater Seattle area one thing i'm realizing is that HOV ~doesn't~ work here. The notion of taking an already existing lane out of service so that the 5 cars that happen to have extra people can be afforded the luxury of zipping by - while at the same time providing one less lane for the rest of the 95% of seattle drive to negotiate through - i mean what genious thought of this?

many times driving around i find that some drivers are insanely aggressive and very protective of "their" lane but in the reverse, many drivers are insanely slow - i get the feeling that driving in/around seattle is like driving through molasses. people don't pass other cars - they just lull behind them. sometimes, because of the insepid HOV lane, it's incredibly difficult to pass lanes and you find yourself being unsafe by having to skirt from one lane to another just to make any sort of steady progress.

ugh!

and oh, one other mini-rant - who's the genius that thought of putting HOV lanes in the RIGHT lane. that's so frustrating. as soon as you get on the freeway - you're in the HOV lane. The HOV lane is an HOV lane, then it's not, then it is again, then it's not - it's like the freeways own cute little personality disorder .

Last edited by nishira; 03-17-2008 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishira View Post
i find the HOV concept to be quite interesting.

I can totally understand HOV if new lanes were going to be built - however, in driving through greater Seattle area one thing i'm realizing is that HOV ~doesn't~ work here. The notion of taking an already existing lane out of service so that the 5 cars that happen to have extra people can be afforded the luxury of zipping by - while at the same time providing one less lane for the rest of the 95% of seattle drive to negotiate through - i mean what genious thought of this?

many times driving around i find that some drivers are insanely aggressive and very protective of "their" lane but in the reverse, many drivers are insanely slow - i get the feeling that driving in/around seattle is like driving through molasses. people don't pass other cars - they just lull behind them. sometimes, because of the insepid HOV lane, it's incredibly difficult to pass lanes and you find yourself being unsafe by having to skirt from one lane to another just to make any sort of steady progress.

ugh!

and oh, one other mini-rant - who's the genius that thought of putting HOV lanes in the RIGHT lane. that's so frustrating. as soon as you get on the freeway - you're in the HOV lane. The HOV lane is an HOV lane, then it's not, then it is again, then it's not - it's like the freeways own cute little personality disorder .
While I don't want to get into whether or not HOV lanes work, (I happen to believe they do work), or Seattle drivers, the reason some HOV lanes are on the right is so buses don't have to cross several lanes of traffic to exit.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
I think the idea behind carpools is to encourage people to either carpool or to take mass transit. Can you think of a better way to do that?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 AM

that's all well and good to encourage people - but there has to be a balance. for me, i have to ask myself - do i really think any significant number of people are choosing to carpool - at least in direction relation to the HOV lanes? personally - and this is just my opinion - but i really doubt it. then i have to consider the balance, how many people are actually taking advantage of the carpool (HOV lane) in comparison to how many people are not taking advantage of the HOV lane, and thus have one less lane to travel in, which creates more traffic, more backups, more stop and go, and when you have more cars on the road for a longer period of time - guess what - more pollution - and isn't pollution one of the major things that HOV was designed to help eliminate.

it's not rocket science here, take any freeway at any time of day where the HOV lanes are operable, whether it's rush hour or even saturday afternoon. compare the number of cars in HOV versus the number of cars in regular lanes. imagine how much faster traffic would flow if more cars were allowed to utilize all lanes. imagine how much less congestion would ensue, and thus less pollution.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,840,944 times
I don't know what would happen, exactly, if the HOV incentive were to be taken away. But I find it hard to believe that lower pollution and less congestion would be among the outcomes.

Quote:
that's all well and good to encourage people - but there has to be a balance. for me, i have to ask myself - do i really think any significant number of people are choosing to carpool - at least in direction relation to the HOV lanes? personally - and this is just my opinion - but i really doubt it. then i have to consider the balance, how many people are actually taking advantage of the carpool (HOV lane) in comparison to how many people are not taking advantage of the HOV lane, and thus have one less lane to travel in, which creates more traffic, more backups, more stop and go, and when you have more cars on the road for a longer period of time - guess what - more pollution - and isn't pollution one of the major things that HOV was designed to help eliminate.

it's not rocket science here, take any freeway at any time of day where the HOV lanes are operable, whether it's rush hour or even saturday afternoon. compare the number of cars in HOV versus the number of cars in regular lanes. imagine how much faster traffic would flow if more cars were allowed to utilize all lanes. imagine how much less congestion would ensue, and thus less pollution.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
WSDOT - Washington State Freeway HOV System Common Questions

Studies show that many people who aren’t usually on the regular freeway lanes during rush hours would switch to driving alone if the lanes were no longer reserved for HOVs --including many of the people who are currently busing, carpooling, and vanpooling. This would quickly result in another clogged lane.

An example of this was the HOV pilot project in Vancouver, WA. An HOV lane operated on southbound I-5 from 2001 until 2005 during the morning commute. Although the project met most of its performance goals, other circumstances resulted in a recommendation by the local Transportation Council to end the pilot. Travel time through this corridor has not improved since the HOV lanes were opened to general traffic.

Reasons for ending the pilot project included insufficient park-and-ride facilities, cutbacks on transit service coupled with an increase in fares, and a lack of connecting HOV lanes into Portland. HOV lanes in Vancouver may be revisited when plans for the Columbia River Crossing and HOV lanes into Portland are finalized.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM

very informative article actually - thank you. it's interesting that 520 is the only freeway that has the HOV on the outside lane (thank gosh it's the only freeway with such a setup). Also interesting is that (as per that article) - once the new bridge is completed, they are going to shift the HOV lane to the inside both, on the bridge, and on the rest of 520 - so they must realize it's kinda a stupid idea to have it on the outside. I think to have an HOV lane where drivers have to slow down and speed up because of incoming and outgoing traffic - is sort of counterproductive.

the study is interesting (about what would happen if the HOV lane was removed) but but it's one study. i'm not an engineer nor do i have the perspective of say, a city planner - someone w/access to traffic patterns and a bigger traffic picture than i myself could possibly be priivy to but that having been said, i'm still hard pressed to believe that the HOV lane in the seattle area is doing more good then harm - not when i'm driving on a saturday afternoon, traffic is stuck in a stop and go pattern, while the HOV lane sits there, virtually unutilized.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,139 times
Quote:
I think to have an HOV lane where drivers have to slow down and speed up because of incoming and outgoing traffic - is sort of counterproductive.
The reason for some of the HOV lanes being on the right is so that buses won't have to cross several lanes of traffic to exit or enter the freeway.

On sections of freeways where it is possible to do so and where there is no bus service the HOV lanes are on the left.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
From what I've seen, the HOV lanes, particularly on SR16/Narrows Bridge, go unutilized for the most part. Those lanes are mostly empty, while you have backups of single driver vehicles getting bottled up. It simply doesn't encourage carpooling.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
It does encourage revenue from HOV violators, though.

Then again, congestion restricts revenue. Sort of a toss up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area