Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times

Advertisements

I agree with those who have said they wouldn't chance it for that time period. The pre-check would help, but you still have the link to content with. I've taken the link to the airport from downtown or u-district about 6 times. Two of those times, it's broken down and delayed my trip to the airport. That's 1/3 of the times. Granted, it doesn't break down or have difficulties a lot, and there is usually another one coming, but I watched a fellow passenger miss a flight. I'd stick around the area and not go downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 16,603 times
If your flight is leaving at 5:40 it probably boards around 5:00 so assuming you have TSA pre you'll want to be back at the airport by 4:30. If the flight touches down at 12:30 you won't be off the plane until 1:00. You now have 3.5 hours.

You'll need to exit the airport and walk to the light rail (15m) then wait for the next train to arrive (0-10m). Then take the train to Westlake center (40m). It's now 2:05pm.

Now walk to Pike Place or whatever you want to see (5m) and have lunch (30m-1h). Now it's between 2:45-3:10.

Walk back to Westlake station (5m) and wait for the next train to arrive (0-10). And take it back to the airport where you'll arrive around 4:00pm.

Walk back to the terminal and get in the line for security. It should now be somewhere between 4:00-4:20.

Hopefully the pre check line isn't that long and your through by 4:30. Now you have 30 mins to get to you gate before it starts to board which should be easily do-able.

I think you could do this and be fine. Obviously things could happen outside of your control which could cause you to miss your flight so you should be prepared for that just in case.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 PM

8,866 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I agree with those who have said they wouldn't chance it for that time period. The pre-check would help, but you still have the link to content with. I've taken the link to the airport from downtown or u-district about 6 times. Two of those times, it's broken down and delayed my trip to the airport. That's 1/3 of the times. Granted, it doesn't break down or have difficulties a lot, and there is usually another one coming, but I watched a fellow passenger miss a flight. I'd stick around the area and not go downtown.
I've ridden link probably 100+ times. It's never broken down, though it's been delayed a minute or two sometimes. Once about five minutes due to a malfunction.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Wow, I'm quite surprised by all the naysayers here. Between DH and myself, we fly in/out of Sea-Tac almost every weekend (we live and work in two different cities). We take the Link to NOT deal with traffic after having had a very near miss once in a car, so concerns over rush hour timing are eliminated. (We've also experienced a single breakdown on the Link and the delay was 15 minutes as Metro supplied buses that brought us directly to airport.) We have Global Entry so we conservatively factor in 20 minutes to pass through security screening - it typically takes us 10 minutes or less.

Estimating 20 minutes walking time from Westlake Center to Pike Place is absurd. (Sorry Hemlock!) You should exit the Westlake Station tunnel at 3rd & Pine and it is just two blocks to the Market from there.

Although Sea-Tac is nicer than many, five hours is a long time to sit in the airport. We think it's sufficient time to leave the airport if you have a plan, map ahead where you're going, and don't have any mobility issues walking. (And there's this, too: Transit GO Ticket - Fares & ORCA - Metro Transit - King County.) Pike Place Market offers a classic Seattle experience that's easily accessible from the Link.

I'll add another suggestion for eating in the Market - Lowell's. We ate lunch there yesterday at the bar so DH could watch the Astros game on TV while I watched the ferries coming and going, heh. Great views plus it's much more casual than the earlier recommendations I gave, and that usually means a quicker meal.

Last edited by fnh; 10-07-2017 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Wow, I'm quite surprised by all the naysayers here. Between DH and myself, we fly in/out of Sea-Tac almost every weekend (we live and work in two different cities). We take the Link to NOT deal with traffic after having had a very near miss once in a car, so concerns over rush hour timing are eliminated. (We've also experienced a single breakdown on the Link and the delay was 15 minutes as Metro supplied buses that brought us directly to airport.) We have Global Entry so we conservatively factor in 20 minutes to pass through security screening - it typically takes us 10 minutes or less.

Estimating 20 minutes walking time from Westlake Center to Pike Place is absurd. (Sorry Hemlock!) You should exit the Westlake Station tunnel at 3rmd & Pine and it is just two blocks to the Market from there.

Although Sea-Tac is nicer than many, five hours is a long time to sit in the airport. We think it's sufficient time to leave the airport if you have a plan, map ahead where you're going, and don't have any mobility issues walking. (And there's this, too: Transit GO Ticket - Fares & ORCA - Metro Transit - King County.) Pike Place Market offers a classic Seattle experience that's easily accessible from the Link.

I'll add another suggestion for eating in the Market - Lowell's. We ate lunch there yesterday at the bar so DH could watch the Astros game on TV while I watched the ferries coming and going, heh. Great views plus it's much more casual than the earlier recommendations I gave, and that usually means a quicker meal.
Oops, I’m used to my walk to work through there which is 20 minutes to the office. You are right, 5 minutes should do it.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I had a similar layover in 1993 at Sea-Tac, and it worked out well to get away from the airport. Guess what? It isn't 1993 anymore. Don't risk it. TSA and the Friday hubub are the reasons. And if this is in a few months, Seattle will be in the depths of the dark season. Cut your losses.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 PM

489 posts, read 964,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Wow, I'm quite surprised by all the naysayers here. Between DH and myself, we fly in/out of Sea-Tac almost every weekend.......
Flying in and out of Seattle every weekend and knowing your way around is one thing. A five hour layover can be plenty of time.
For first time, or seldom, visitors, that task is far more daunting.
I've taken the link light rail maybe 20 times. It's never had a breakdown for me. Just once we had a 60-90 second delay coming into Westlake due to traffic ahead (according to the conductor announcement).

-Mike

Old 10-08-2017, 08:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Flying in and out of Seattle every weekend and knowing your way around is one thing. A five hour layover can be plenty of time.
For first time, or seldom, visitors, that task is far more daunting.
I've taken the link light rail maybe 20 times. It's never had a breakdown for me. Just once we had a 60-90 second delay coming into Westlake due to traffic ahead (according to the conductor announcement).

-Mike
That is a good point. Even back in '93, I knew my native city and had no problem. Bu things have changed both on airport property and on non-airport property. Plus, Sea-Tac has greatly improved with services in the past couple of decades. Higher end restaurants and bars, combined with the usual fast-food options.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
Thanks for all the tips so far. I am taking all the pros and cons into consideration. We have some time to weigh it all out and figure out our best action plan.

Did a quick search on Columbia City recommendations - looks like a cute walkable neighborhood. This might be more realistic to visit.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Song, Columbia City is great for a stroll: funky, multiethnic and fun. The light rail station is about 3-4 blocks walk to the core, use Island Soul Caribbean restaurant as a reference point on your map. My wife and I walked around there for a couple hours just yesterday, wandered into a great Ethiopian grocery store, Columbia City Bakery and the venerable Geraldine's for a bite. Have fun! If you are focused when you leave the airport, you can pull it off. Columbia City is a much better choice than downtown with the time you have and one of the most interesting parts of Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area