Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,488 times

Advertisements

Seattle is now the fifth most expensive city in America. it's only natural for any large city to follow the way of Boston, San Fran and New York. For me I'm one of the ones who has been priced out of Seattle. I'm a disabled veteran who lives on a veteran's pension and who can no longer afford a place to live in western Washington. I'm stuck renting a room out at someone's house. It sux. I can't afford an apartment in western Washington any longer. I'm looking at places in the Midwest such as Springfield Missouri, Dubuque Iowa, Sioux Falls SD..and etc. Seattle has become a very stuck-up, snobby, elitist community as well. It's all about money, career, and status. And the liberalism is rampant. I can't wait to leave Western Washington and move to a more conservative, much more friendlier and inexpensive region of the USA.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-19-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
nm

Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Isn't Seattle still dirt cheap compared to San Fran, Vancouver BC, or even the Los Angeles area, though?
Not really anymore. SF/SJ is still well in a league of it's own, but the gap is closing between prime Seattle proper/Eastside prices and much of the East Bay. Vancouver's real estate market is pretty insane (heavily influenced by foreign investors), but IIRC rent is actually cheaper - but the wages are lower too. It's more or less a wash between Seattle and LA these days if you exclude the most prime parts of LA (i.e - Santa Monica).

Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Not really anymore. SF/SJ is still well in a league of it's own, but the gap is closing between prime Seattle proper/Eastside prices and much of the East Bay. Vancouver's real estate market is pretty insane (heavily influenced by foreign investors), but IIRC rent is actually cheaper - but the wages are lower too. It's more or less a wash between Seattle and LA these days if you exclude the most prime parts of LA (i.e - Santa Monica).
In Irvine, a full 45 minutes away from LA (without traffic) homes are selling for $500-$600/sq. foot--and rising. Tiny yards--nothing more than a patio. Often the driveways are shared with 3 or 4 other houses. Even the homes built on a superfund site, downwind from the landfill, near the prison, near a future cemetery, and on the very edge of the city are still selling for $500/sq. foot. Can anyone say the same for Redmond, Bellevue, or Issaquah?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,074 times
Quote:
In Irvine, a full 45 minutes away from LA (without traffic) homes are selling for $500-$600/sq. foot--and rising. Tiny yards--nothing more than a patio. Often the driveways are shared with 3 or 4 other houses. Even the homes built on a superfund site, downwind from the landfill, near the prison, near a future cemetery, and on the very edge of the city are still selling for $500/sq. foot. Can anyone say the same for Redmond, Bellevue, or Issaquah?
Oh dang - you got us! I guess that means you... win??

Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 AM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
I'm just waiting for the next bust to make things reasonable again.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:

Very close in price, but without your bolded negatives.

Here is an Issaquah condo at $427 sf

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...9_rect/13_zm/?

and a new home in Bellevue at $482/sf

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...1_rect/11_zm/?

in Redmond, $591/sf (but on acreage)

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...4_rect/11_zm/?

Old 12-21-2018, 11:53 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Very close in price, but without your bolded negatives.

Here is an Issaquah condo at $427 sf

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...9_rect/13_zm/?

and a new home in Bellevue at $482/sf

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...1_rect/11_zm/?

in Redmond, $591/sf (but on acreage)

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...4_rect/11_zm/?
Bah, humbug! All three are bargain priced by Irvine standards!

New condos in Irvine at 1533: selling for $900,000 plus!

Acreage in Irvine? Huh? You actually have so much land in Redmond you have acreage? Try asking for acreage in Irvine, a city more dense than some Japanese cities.

Last edited by MrJester; 12-21-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 05:22 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
Quote:
Bah, humbug! All three are bargain priced by Irvine standards!

New condos in Irvine at 1533: selling for $900,000 plus!

Acreage in Irvine? Huh? You actually have so much land in Redmond you have acreage? Try asking for acreage in Irvine, a city more dense than some Japanese cities.
Plenty of (small, no yard, no space or privacy) condos in Bellevue, Kirkland, etc. right there too, tons of condo complexes with the “starting in the high-900s” signs pointing the way into the complex from the street only to find those are the 2 bed units with a single car garage that back up to the busy road and/or are under power lines that look like they were installed during the cold war

Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Seattle is now the fifth most expensive city in America. it's only natural for any large city to follow the way of Boston, San Fran and New York. For me I'm one of the ones who has been priced out of Seattle. I'm a disabled veteran who lives on a veteran's pension and who can no longer afford a place to live in western Washington. I'm stuck renting a room out at someone's house. It sux. I can't afford an apartment in western Washington any longer. I'm looking at places in the Midwest such as Springfield Missouri, Dubuque Iowa, Sioux Falls SD..and etc. Seattle has become a very stuck-up, snobby, elitist community as well. It's all about money, career, and status. And the liberalism is rampant. I can't wait to leave Western Washington and move to a more conservative, much more friendlier and inexpensive region of the USA.

Plenty of room down here in New Mexico, bub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area