Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Well bummer. I was really digging 98.9 when it was rock.
I wish rock stations would stick around longer. Funky Monkey was awesome back in the day.

-Mike
The Monkey 104.9 was the GOAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
I wish rock stations would stick around longer. Funky Monkey was awesome back in the day.

-Mike
sounds like a Zoo

Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
The Monkey 104.9 was the GOAT
sounds like a Zoo

Old 12-06-2017, 08:34 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:

-Mike
Get an HD radio - a number of stations have two or more digital "rock" channels: 96.5 JACK FM/KJAQ HD2, KZOK/KZOK HD2, HOT 103.7/The Mountain 103.7 HD2, for instance.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM

For a trip down memory lane, check out The KRAB (once at 107.7 FM) Audio Archives: KRAB-FM, Seattle - Audio Archive Main Menu

Old 12-16-2017, 10:20 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Well anonymous it looks like someone listened, 102.9 is now a smooth Jazz Station, just tuned in last night and heard it

Old 12-16-2017, 12:35 PM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I only listen to JACK FM or a streaming service. I gave up on radio years ago. I am not a fan of the morning shows, non stop babbling. I did like C89 when I was younger but I don't enjoy the newer dance music.

I was recently in Detroit and they had a JACK type station that played r&B and funk classics, which was cool.
Am I the only person on here who's not a shill for Jack FM? It always struck me as the most commercial, cynical, and ridiculous concept for radio. If I wanted an infinite loop of "Top hits from the 80's, 90's, and today!" I could make one on my iTunes playlist. I don't mind it but really, that is the standard for radio for you guys?

101.5 and 106.9 are both Christmas right now but they must get play, and they are classic and contemporary soft pop. 106.1 is soft pop and soft rock. So there you have 4 stations with light top 40. Then you have 93.3 for more modern soft rock / pop. You literally have five stations all playing soft rock and pop.

KEXP and KBCS each play a very wide variety of music styles for modern music audiences.

C89.5 plays electronic music. Sorry you don't like modern electronic, but they do have Save the Wave on Thursday mornings.

102.5, 99.9, 107.7 are three rock stations, the latter two of which play modern and classic rock, the first of which plays a broad range of classic rock.

For R&B you have classics at 103.7, you have modern R&B at 104.9 from Tacoma (new KUBE). 92.5 plays what I'll refer to broadly as "white person hip hop".

We have at least three clear country music stations as well.

Finally, for classics you have 97.3 (really old mainstream), 95.7 (old mainstream), and 102.5 (old, but still rock).

88.5 has a great jazz selection.

And then you have like... so. many. other. stations.

Everyone I meet in real life appreciates the variety we have here and all the new music available. But then, most people I meet are under 50. The vast majority are under 40. And yes, I have been out of Seattle. Many times. Every year.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
For a trip down memory lane, check out The KRAB (once at 107.7 FM) Audio Archives: KRAB-FM, Seattle - Audio Archive Main Menu
KRAB is the station I mentioned near the beginning of the thread, but I'd forgotten its call letters. It's good to see that some of the programming can still be accessed. I knew the co-founder, who came back from a trip to India to find that volunteers and an interim manager had gone nuts in his absence, signing a contract for an illegal expansion of the facility, that contributed to the demise of the place down in a resulting lawsuit. Crazy story, very sad to lose a great station like that, due to weird staff politics and general stupidity.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-16-2017 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 01:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
I listened to KZOK quite a bit when we first moved out here. But it seems like the playlist has narrowed over the years -- either that, or I'm just burned out on hearing the same five songs from Steve Miller, Tom Petty, and Zeppelin over and over.

Aside from the Bonaduce show in the morning, they also seem to be focusing less on on-air personalities. Gary Crow and Stacy Ireland made listening a fun, localized, personalized experience. Now they're both gone (without any explanation; they just vanished) and there seems to be less DJ patter and more pre-recorded bumps right into and out of the music. At some point, they might as well just do away with the on-air talent and have someone push a button to start the playlist. That would probably please the shareholders, anyway.

About the only thing I still listen to on the FM dial is KEXP.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
KRAB is the station I mentioned near the beginning of the thread, but I'd forgotten its call letters. It's good to see that some of the programming can still be accessed. I knew the co-founder, who came back from a trip to India to find that volunteers and an interim manager had gone nuts in his absence, signing a contract for an illegal expansion of the facility, that brought the place down in a resulting lawsuit. Crazy story, very sad to lose a great station like that, due to weird staff politics and general stupidity.
Lorenzo Milam, "the Johnny Appleseed of community radio".

https://hearingvoices.com/2009/04/sex-and-broadcasting/

Quote:
It was not just that we took a couple of gallons of Mountain Red to the board meetings; it wasn’t that we practiced an anarchistically politically detached wryness in our daily lives: it was, most of all, that we had a loud early warning system which went off whenever ‘political’ types came in the door. And I ain’t talking about communists or John Birch Society members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area