Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 PM

26 posts, read 34,193 times

Advertisements

How bad is the Highline neighborhood now a days? More specifically Highline area close to the 509. I've read some things about it being rough, but on the other hand I've read some things about it not being bad at all. I realize different people will have different opinions, but generally how safe is it there currently? It looks like there are some good deals on real estate in that area which is why I'm inquiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Yeah Rusty, I agree that it is one of the best values in Seattle, changing in a good way. Just know that some micro areas are better than others. I know I always say the following but it is true. If you see a house that looks interesting, drive by it. Get out, walk around, knock on a neighbor's door and ask them honestly about the neighborhood. They will tell you the truth.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
When you say Highline, you're talking about a huge area, and it's not all the same. I don't think any part of the area is highly dangerous, but the parts further south and further west are quite nice. The parts that are east of 509 get an awful lot of airplane noise, being right under the SeaTac flight path, and are generally thought of as more run down and higher crime.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:23 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
The same can be said about White Center, which is directly to the west of Highline.

https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific...and-diversity/

Quote:
White Center is being subsumed by a more-prosperous version. People pushed out by stratospheric home prices in Seattle neighborhoods have snapped up houses in White Center, pushing up rents and making new mortgages harder to afford. And the rough edges of the commercial core are softening as new businesses remake the nine blocks that constitute the historic business district, currently home to 137 storefront businesses.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 34,193 times
Thank you all very much for your replies. Sadly the house I was looking at is now pending. The hunt continues, thank you again!

Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Almost all of 4bd+ houses priced below $550k are found in the Southend in areas that are rapidly being gentrified, but which are still being claimed (and fought over) by gangs as "turf". Schools are lower scoring, due to diversity, ESL students, etc. For good values (just include a top-notch security system in your budget): Roxhill, South Delridge, Highland Park, South Park, Highline, White Center, South Beacon Hill, Rainier Beach, etc. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true ($450k, 4bd/2ba, 3,260sf, 1/2-acre lot)

Old 12-08-2017, 03:36 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Good point Donkey, but to be fair, Seattle's gangs are pretty tame if you are coming from another big US city. I have really noticed that White Center and Upper Rainier Beach are really starting to spruce up. There are for sure some good streets, wise as always to stay away from main thoroughfares.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 PM

310 posts, read 446,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Good point Donkey, but to be fair, Seattle's gangs are pretty tame if you are coming from another big US city. I have really noticed that White Center and Upper Rainier Beach are really starting to spruce up. There are for sure some good streets, wise as always to stay away from main thoroughfares.
The gangs are moving south, as people from West Seattle are moving closer towards White Center and then people on Capitol Hill are moving towards Beacon Hill and the Rainier Valley to keep closer to Seattle where they work. Pushing all the gang members out of the area towards South King County.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 PM

Which is where some of the violence is coming from - as gangs are being pushed south, they're being pushed south into other gangs' territories.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...450000003&z=11

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...650000003&z=11

Hilltop in Tacoma used to be gang central, but is rapidly being gentrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area