Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 7,882 times

Advertisements

So, I have moved into this nice apartment in SeaTac which is really close to my work. My wife, who has an out-of-state misdemeanor of 4 years old, has never been on the lease with me so far because not many decent places will accept people with a criminal record (she has never been arrested though). She has no problem getting jobs as it seems like it doesn't show up on her job background screening.

Today, I've got a notice saying they have noticed someone else lives in my apartment (how the hell did they find it out???) and I need to resolve this by adding her to my lease or kick her out (I ain't kicking my wife out!). I've never been late for rent and we are quiet people, never caused any issues anywhere we lived.

I guess it being a standalone building with elevators and garage, it's not as easy as sneaking people in when it is multi building complex.

So, I called and they said misdemeanor that is not older than 5 years is an automatic disqualification. I just don't know what to do. If I add her as a non-lessee tenant (if they offer that option even), would they still do background check on her? It seems like they don't do strict background check as my app got approved with minimum deposit in like an hour and half when I applied last month.

Just trying to find a way to not get evicted...

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Move inside the Seattle city limits: Seattle approves ordinance to stop landlords from using criminal records to screen tenants | KOMO

You could try to get her on the lease - maybe they'll run the same check her employer ran. If not, it comes down to whether he wants to keep you more than get rid of her. Appeal to extenuating or mitigating circumstances. Provide references and letters of recommendation. Agree to pay a rent surcharge, higher deposit.

Quote:
The landlord should consider how long ago the crime occurred, any extenuating circumstances surrounding the arrest or conviction, whether the crime has any relevance towards the tenant’s ability to be a good renter, and any evidence of rehabilitation.
http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/right...discrimination

Look into applying for a pardon from the state where the conviction occurred.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Thank you for your reply. I mean, I just paid 15 bucks here and there trying to run her background and found out that it's clear. Also, checked the county she was convicted in, it was also no return on result which seem really odd.

I think I will give it a shot but if she ever gets denied then I might have to look for a new place and with eviction possibly on my record, I am a bit worried.

The apartment complex, the property management company said they send it to 3rd party which conducts background check and it's an automatic denial if misdemeanor is less than 5 years old. She's in such remorse as she stole a few cosmetic stuff from walmart and they caught her, ended up in misdemeanor. I am glad she learned from it.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:29 PM

Hopefully they expunged her record after three years.

The worst that could happen is you have to pack your bags and move after a three-day notice, with your deposit grabbed to pay for rerenting the unit.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM

So, she got denied by the apartment and was served 20 day notice to vacate. I am on it too unless I tell them I want to live here but my wife will leave. I took it as a vacate notice for both of us. Though, where does that leave us for deposit? Do we get it back or do we also have to pay for early termination fee? I don't see it anywhere on the notice or even on the contract. I , technically did not ask for the lease to end early so I don't know if early termination fee of **drumroll** $2790 applies but I am happy to move out as it was so overpriced. I have no doubt they will find someone to fill in even before I move out so not too worried about it not filling on time.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
My early termination fee is a little over $6000 so please do not feel alone. It is CRAZY . It's usually 1.5months rent .

Old 12-16-2017, 02:07 PM

Standard early termination fees tend to be double the rent. See if your landlord will waive or reduce the early termination fee if you find a qualified tenant to assume your lease. You'll need to post an ad in Craigslist and show the apartment.

If you didn't give a 20-day notice when your wife got the order to vacate, you could be liable for next month's rent + the early termination fee.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM

Pretty crazy.. but I didn't have to give them a 20 day notice, they did. They served me with a 20 day notice to vacate

Old 12-16-2017, 07:30 PM

It wasn't clear to me if the vacate order was for both of you or just your wife.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Eh it's like my name is on there but I have a choice to stay and have my wife vacate. Of course, I chose to consider it as a vacate notice for me and my wife because I like nice apartments but not as much as I love my wife lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: