Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chol1a View Post
... for better or worse, Seattle folks voted for it and is here to punish future generations,and those who never learned about taxation and fine print.
Or reward King County residents with lowered traffic, increased availability of parking, cleaner air,... Who cares about a small increase in tag fees? Seems like the complainers would have been the same folks griping about gas tax to pay for those dang paved roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Yes, I had a sticker shock moment when I saw the bill. Didn't we vote to get rid of that? But no, we voted in the Sound Transit bill and we'll have to pay for that somehow. Car tab fees are as good a way as any. It's just unfortunate that the bill comes all at once, rather than being more spread out.

Anyway, I can live with it.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Or reward King County residents with lowered traffic, increased availability of parking, cleaner air,... Who cares about a small increase in tag fees? Seems like the complainers would have been the same folks griping about gas tax to pay for those dang paved roads.
Lol @ thinking it will improve things, AND be on time, AND stick to the original budget

Old 12-19-2017, 01:57 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
175 tab fee dollars on a scooter with a resale value of tops 2k is obnoxious.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:12 PM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
One thing that should anger you all paying the increase: the State Leg gave it a 1% haircut. That’s $513 million taken off the top and sent into the State’s general budget and it does not have to be used for transportation related issues.

I couldn’t believe that when I heard it.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:09 AM

300 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
The majority of those who voted in favor of it probably don’t have enough money to afford a car affected much by the new rates anyway, so they’re very generous with our money that some if us have worked much harder than they are willing/capable of

In most of cases, those vote for the bond package or tax increase do not pay tax, but use the system the most. It is an easy decision for them and they don't bare the consequences.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:38 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
...Who cares about a small increase in tag fees? Me and I'm pretty sure several thousand of people as well. I'm not a highly paid tech worker or rich, but I got hammered with a $645 tag fee, which isn't a small increase... And I drive a Jeep, yes, a newer one, but it's not a high end German or Japanese luxury vehicle.

Just another jab at the blue-collar middle class again. Nothing new from Seattle. Basically a sad statement in which direct the city is taking the County, Western Washington and the entire State in... I love the place since it's where I was born and raised, but something has to give before all these "group hug" ideals, followed by massive tax increases destroy what's left of the middle working class.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
bergun - is your Jeep just a few years old? Wow. That's high for a car tab renewal. I guess the Seattle City Council needed some more Starbuck's ta swill and red raspberry donuts for their...umm...whatever ya call 'em...meetings.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:35 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
One thing that should anger you all paying the increase: the State Leg gave it a 1% haircut. That’s $513 million taken off the top and sent into the State’s general budget and it does not have to be used for transportation related issues.

I couldn’t believe that when I heard it.
What are you talking about? Link?

The Democratic-controlled House by a large margin passed a fix that rolled back the depreciation schedule the State Legislature, itself, approved as part of the 2015 Transportation package. The Republicans controlling the Senate blocked it and chose to play politics instead. The only bill that came out of the Senate was full of "poison pills" aimed at torpedoing Sound Transit.

Car-tab controversy: Legislative efforts for taxpayer relief fall short | KREM.com

With Democrats regaining control of the Senate, hopefully we'll see some real "solutions" instead of just more "politics".

Old 12-26-2017, 12:44 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
bergun - is your Jeep just a few years old? Wow. That's high for a car tab renewal. I guess the Seattle City Council needed some more Starbuck's ta swill and red raspberry donuts for their...umm...whatever ya call 'em...meetings.
Again, it's new model, but now a year old. A 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought LAST December.

I love Seattle since it's my birthplace, where I grew up and where 90% of my family lives, but if this is a sign of things to come, I'll have to move to a more realistic State... I know that by me leaving means nothing since people will continue to move here and it's a fact that my departure doesn't/will not hurt the system one bit. It's not meant to or to be some pointless statement, but once I'm fully retired in the next 2-3 years, unrealistic and never ending taxation increases WILL be an issue once I transfer into a more fixed income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area