Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I absolutely believe that an educated populace is the way to raise everyone up. I believe free college or vocational schools that allow everyone to become employed taxpayers is the right thing and if everyone contributed to it, then everyone could partake. What I don't want is for these programs to become too expensive to continue because people were moving here for the benefits, resulting in even more people moving to King county and costing us from day one.

We need lengthy residency requirements for these programs.
While I agree with your first part about an educated population, your second idea sounds more based in fear than reality. Think about it for a moment. How many people do you actually think have moved to San Francisco, one of the highest COL cities in the world, for free community college? Seriously, that notion seems ridiculous which is the same as yours. If a family can't afford CC, how would they *ever* move to SF or Seattle for that matter?

In addition, that will never fly as its too provincial in nature. Extending beyond the normal time of one year to establish residency is both unnecessary and unrealistic. If you don't believe me now, check back once implemented if it does happen. That way I won't have to say I told you so.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
While I agree with your first part about an educated population, your second idea sounds more based in fear than reality. Think about it for a moment. How many people do you actually think have moved to San Francisco, one of the highest COL cities in the world, for free community college? Seriously, that notion seems ridiculous which is the same as yours. If a family can't afford CC, how would they *ever* move to SF or Seattle for that matter?

In addition, that will never fly as its too provincial in nature. Extending beyond the normal time of one year to establish residency is both unnecessary and unrealistic. If you don't believe me now, check back once implemented if it does happen. That way I won't have to say I told you so.

Derek
I live in Seattle. We invented provincial.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I live in Seattle. We invented provincial.
lol

Old 01-28-2018, 05:03 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Many European countries believe that higher education should be available to anyone who is truly qualified, regardless of ability to pay. I tend to agree, certainly it should be much more affordable than it currently is. How else are truly exceptional students from families without financial means going to have a chance? The fact that there is so much profiteering in the student loan system is despicable.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
College sounds like a very motivating factor for the OP and it can be for many. If they've lived here and contributed for a decade or more, it makes sense to have these programs for residents. But to offer them to anyone that just decides they've reached the point they need college for the kids, that's the kind of thing that blows state budgets and results in a difficulty funding the programs.
Or you do what NY is trying and make it a requirement to stay in the state for years after getting the degree so you pay for it with taxes. The problem with that in Seattle is how many new college graduates can afford to live in Seattle?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Many European countries believe that higher education should be available to anyone who is truly qualified, regardless of ability to pay. I tend to agree, certainly it should be much more affordable than it currently is. How else are truly exceptional students from families without financial means going to have a chance? The fact that there is so much profiteering in the student loan system is despicable.
If they’re truly exceptional then there are likely a plethora or scholarships available, I got a couple in college and paid my way through the rest with no debt. They made a sizable difference, that’s for sure

Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Or you do what NY is trying and make it a requirement to stay in the state for years after getting the degree so you pay for it with taxes. The problem with that in Seattle is how many new college graduates can afford to live in Seattle?
Yeah, I saw that in NY. That's similar to the DoD model for scholarships such as the SMART program. Years of service for years of college. I wonder if some of the European countries require this such as Germany? Many of the universities are free or near free for students who can get accepted. Even Americans can attend some of these universities. Though there are more benefits for EU citizens.

Derek

Old 01-28-2018, 09:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Not crazy about an "after" requirement since they already have the education. Better to just make the programs available to long time residents.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Thatguy. What if they aren't truly exceptional, but just as good (high school grades, test scores) as the kids who have money who get in? What other better way can we give people a chance, especially those who have clearly earned the opportunity? I just think universities should be a whole lot less expensive and not just the domain of kids with family resources.

And would it be so wrong to limit the interest rates on student loans to about 5 percent? Seems like that would be fair.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-28-2018 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Thatguy. What if they aren't truly exceptional, but just as good (high school grades, test scores) as the kids who have money who get in? What other better way can we give people a chance, especially those who have clearly earned the opportunity? I just think universities should be a whole lot less expensive and not just the domain of kids with family resources.

And would it be so wrong to limit the interest rates on student loans to about 5 percent? Seems like that would be fair.
I was thinking the same thing about the 'exceptional' students. Not everyone gets those scholarships nor should the rest be doomed to no college simply because they don't have the money. Everyone can't be that special snowflake academically.

Some private loans have criminally high interest rates. 'Hey college girl/guy, want some candy?!' At the very least, why not make Federal loans interest free or close to it? Would that really be so terrible? While its not 'Tuition Free' the gov't certainly doesn't need to make money from student debt.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-29-2018 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area