Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times

Advertisements

I would suggest moving further out and buying a small home or townhome, but with property tax increases on the way, even those my not be affordable. My plan is to sell and move far far away this summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:24 PM

128 posts, read 147,844 times
You'd think that this impacts only the renters, but as a home owner I'm feeling the pressure year after year of increased taxes due to the county re-valuating my house higher so they can tax me more, then the local city council decides hey let's raise some more funds through additional taxes since everyone's property values are higher and a 1% tax 2 years ago doesn't bring in as much as a 1% tax today with new valuations. Then all of the local fools vote for it because "hey its only 1% and its going to a good cause right!?" then complain on FB that their tax bills went up several thousand dollars, well what the hell did you think was going to happen if you vote for more taxes!? Even as a homeowner I'm not immune to these yearly increases, my mortgage has gone up year after year even though my principle is declining thanks to all of the new taxes the local well-doers vote for. Progressivism my a**.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:15 PM

489 posts, read 964,029 times
That's a bummer for your friends, but there's someone from CA that's going to think those prices are a steal and eagerly pay it.
Time for those of us who have lived here a long time to step aside and make room for the new folks.

-Mike

Old 03-04-2018, 06:53 PM

109 posts, read 95,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Yes, it's true. We are competing with the rest of the world. There are lots of immigrants from south of the border, and from Asia. In both those areas, 160 square feet per person, with everyone having their own private shower, toilet, refrigerator, stove, bedroom, is only for the very well-to-do. Most ordinary people share not only apartments or houses, but rooms, with other people. Many people per apartment is pretty common.

Americans have got to get used to the fact that they aren't living in a rich country, and will have to get used to a lower standard of living.

I don't know what it's going to take to get people to understand that. It seems pretty obvious to me.
You just admitted that immigration lowers living standards for everyone currently living here! You can't say stuff like that people will start to believe you!

Old 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post

Im very worried that my northgate seattle apartment rent will get raised again in july 2018. Currently i pay $1300 a month for a 610 square foot 1 bedroom apartment. If the landlord raises my rent to $1500 a month i will have to move. When i first moved into my apartment in july 2015 my rent was $1200 per month.
I really wish my rent had only increased by $100 in the past 3 years. There is so much new development near me. My rent increase last year was not as high as it was the year before, so I am hopeful with all this other new development that it will be less this coming year. But time will tell.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Can Capital HIll work for families? Looks like it's within my budget, but how are the schools and is the neighborhood safe?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,448 times
My friends are still living in the same capital hill apartment that they have lived in for 10 years. They found a way to malemit work.

I myself am still living in my Northgate seattle 1 bedroom apartment that I have lived in since July 2015.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
That's a bummer for your friends, but there's someone from CA that's going to think those prices are a steal and eagerly pay it.
Time for those of us who have lived here a long time to step aside and make room for the new folks.

-Mike
speaking the truth

Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Can Capital HIll work for families? Looks like it's within my budget, but how are the schools and is the neighborhood safe?
Schools perform very well in that area, it feeds into Garfield High School. As a whole, Capitol Hill is pretty safe. Common sense, more "stuff" happens near arterials and commercial districts. The area on 15th Ave E a little farther north is really nice, tree lined streets.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:25 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I would not recommend Capitol Hill for a family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area