Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:34 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Today i met a friend of mine who lives in Renton at westfield southcenter mall. Niether of us want to meet at southcenter mall again. We felt undsafe there. Next time we are meeting at bellevue square mall like we usually do.

I personally felt like i was going to get robbed and so did she my friend.

The customer base that frequants south center mall reminds me of the type of gangs that live in south central los angeles,California.

Is southcenter normally like this??

Tukwilla,Washington seems like a seedy area because i see a tukwilla police car driving down the street every few minutes while waiting for the 150 bus back to westlake transit station to switch to the 41 bus.

If i owned a car i may be afraid to take it to westfield southcenter mall because the car could get brocken into or stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 PM

Westfield southcenter mall gave me the heybe gybes

Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
It’s a dumpy area but I wouldn’t call it unsafe, just lock your car doors and leave NOTHING in there

Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
It’s a dumpy area but I wouldn’t call it unsafe, just lock your car doors and leave NOTHING in there
Tukwilla and the area where southcenter is looks dumpy. Living in northgate seattle i have no reason to go to southcenter.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 PM

320 posts, read 512,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
This should be the standard practice in every urban environment.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
This should be the standard practice in every urban environment.
Yes but you *may* be able to get away with it a Bellevue Square, Southcenter you can’t even turn away for a minute without the garbage class stealing something there

Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Totally agree, just a weird vibe down there, a bit post apocalyptic.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:34 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I've been to Southcenter Mall hundreds of times. I've never felt unsafe there.
A few years ago, I took my 90 year old father to the movies there. When the movie ended, I couldn't find the car. Looked everywhere. Called the Tukwila police, and alerted the mall rent a cops. One of the rent a cops asked me what kind of car it was. I told him "Hyundai Sonata", and he said " I don't think your car got stolen. Where do you think you parked it?" I told him, and he related that there are two parking areas that look exactly alike, and are easily confused. A few minutes later, he found the car.
I've never picked up a weird, scary, or post apocalyptic vibe there. Plus the excellent Odin Brewing is only a block away.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:12 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
If you had asked that question in the 90's, sure. The place was a dump. If I remember correctly, it was also only 1 floor back then. But Westfield suck tens of millions of dollars into that place in renovations and adding levels to it.

You might be the first person in history to claim you felt unsafe in a place so thoroughly gentrified that it has a Container Store and a Lolli & Pops in it. Southcenter definitely attracts more of the low-rent crowd to it, but there's absolutely nothing about it that feels in any way unsafe or seedy. When I lived up there, I honestly went to Southcenter more than Bellevue Square even though it was further out simply because it was an easier traffic commute than fighting w/ the 405 South on the return trip.

I hate to play this card because I certainly don't want to be branded an SJW type, but it sounds like you're just uncomfortable when not around all white people because Southcenter has a lot more blacks (due to its location) and Asians (do to the Jollibee, Seafood City, 45 Degrees etc. up there).

Also....if Southcenter made you feel like you were in South Central, you clearly haven't been down to LA in a while. As we always used to say back in the day, if you ever feel like any part of the Seattle area is dangerous, you should absolutely never leave Seattle because just about anywhere else will eat you alive. I mean what, do you think the Crips all get together and meet at Duke's Chowder House for some 23 dollar fish n chips before going out and having their turf wars? And then picking up some $6 marshmallows at the boutique candy store for their celebration munch?

Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 AM

90 posts, read 155,602 times
[quote=Xanathos;51135891]If you had asked that question in the 90's, sure. The place was a dump. If I remember correctly, it was also only 1 floor back then. But Westfield suck tens of millions of dollars into that place in renovations and adding levels to it.

You might be the first person in history to claim you felt unsafe in a place so thoroughly gentrified that it has a Container Store and a Lolli & Pops in it. Southcenter definitely attracts more of the low-rent crowd to it, but there's absolutely nothing about it that feels in any way unsafe or seedy. When I lived up there, I honestly went to Southcenter more than Bellevue Square even though it was further out simply because it was an easier traffic commute than fighting w/ the 405 South on the return trip.]

Haha.. this was hilarious.

I enjoyed Southcenter mall. Dukes, Monteczumas, and Din Tai Fung are really good. I’m not used to saying “let’s get some food at the mall!!”

About as unsafe as any middle class mall, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area