Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:31 PM

235 posts, read 269,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
Things may ease a bit when the location for Amazon HQ2 is announced.

Key word though is "bit"
Amazon ramps up Seattle growth target despite plans for HQ2 | The Seattle Times

Amazon plans to grow its Seattle headquarters to almost 14 million square feet of office space, an addition of more than 2 million square feet from the last time the company updated its local real estate plans.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...n-square-feet/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 07:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
The housing market will continue to see strong demand so long as Amazon continues to expand its white collar work force in Seattle.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 PM

426 posts, read 527,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
Amazon ramps up Seattle growth target despite plans for HQ2 | The Seattle Times
Yeah but for some reason I'm expecting an exodus of people transferring from Seattle to the new HQ2 location. I think that's pretty optimistic of them, at least for the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The housing market will continue to see strong demand so long as Amazon continues to expand its white collar work force in Seattle.
People said the same about Microsoft. Then Google, Amazon, and others moved in. I thought for sure the housing market would go down after Ballmer "left" and Windows 8 was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Citywok, the smart money is on the D.C. Area.
Place your bets

Old 03-07-2018, 06:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Lots of list. like this one that shows Seattle is NOT in the top 20 of cities with the largest % gains since 2012!!! Probably quite surprising to most around here

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/03/04/ho...sing-bubble-1/

Old 03-08-2018, 08:18 PM

365 posts, read 258,245 times
Gosh. Aren't we lucky! ?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
My thought too as I looked at that list. Was shocked to see cities with good economies and/or high population growth on it.
Along the West Coast, rents have jumped by 20% in some places in one year. That's suspicious even with any supposedly justifying migration. In addition, mortgage fraud is up.

I predict a correction at some point down the road, but not to the degree of 2008.

Tech will stay strong with population growth, but if rents are rising because of speculation on tech high growth then I'd be bearish on that (personal opinion only). Along with some others, I think that software based tech growth is going to flatten to that of population growth in the not too distant future. New applications for popular software can only be so many, in concert with everyday human needs for entertainment, dating, cars, food, jobs, socializing, etc. There is little popular need left to make more efficient with apps, in a manner that would continue to cause the explosive growth that we saw in the past decade. I think that this perspective is behind the strong cultural push for AI. It fuels speculation and thus needed yet otherwise predicted flagging growth.

Last edited by golgi1; 03-28-2018 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 PM

638 posts, read 529,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I don't think its going to pop, its heading towards top 5 in the world for most expensive per sq feet. I am banking on it, even though I think its highly overrated for quality of life.
Just wait until water runs out in the Southwest. Quality of life will take on a different air.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Just wait until water runs out in the Southwest. Quality of life will take on a different air.
This has been the alarmist song for the last 100 years. Anything that impacts the SW so adversely and severely will affect the entire west coast, even "special little Seattle" included.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:58 AM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
This has been the alarmist song for the last 100 years. Anything that impacts the SW so adversely and severely will affect the entire west coast, even "special little Seattle" included.
If Washington ever runs out of water, the world has MUCH bigger problems than they do. However the Polar Caps will then likely become prime real estate with the only bearable temperatures.

Good news is we will be long dead before then, so not really our problem. Which is part of the problem.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
Gosh. Aren't we lucky! ?
We sure are!

At least one analyst of note* believes Microsoft is heading for $1T market cap, based on Cloud dominance and growth potential.

"Anecdotally," being in the middle of Azure deployment, migration, and everything associated-with including O365, demand is freakin' off the charts for talent who understands how to properly integrate with on-prem, mobile, security, etc. The client I'm working for is turning away work for some bizarre reason (major consultancy, I'm second-tiering to them for various reasons). I do believe they cannot find sufficient talent on-shore. That being genuinely smart people with 5-15 years of experience...not wannabe dipsticks...who are both technical and customer facing. Hard to find these days. Or, they are setting themselves up to be calved off and sold to another major like PWC or Accenture. Hard to say.

AWS demand is through the roof, also obviously. I see where this is going and how long this particular boom will probably last...and why.

Every one of these c. $500B companies is going all-in on AI, as well, if you look at where they're really placing their bets. Which closely ties to mass-aggregation of data, spotting patterns, crowd-sourcing, etc. Figuring out learning algorithms... and a couple of them have their feet solidly planted right here in town, this is one of the epicenters of growth, thank God. Absent other factors, housing demand from tech sector should remain strong until further notice, at least.

*Source: Morgan Stanley, WSJ, queried 3/29/2018 by yours truly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: