Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 07:39 PM

799 posts, read 531,731 times

Advertisements

There's a moderately interesting Civic Cocktail broadcast with a panel consisting of City Councilperson Lisa Herbolt, King County Tax Assessor John Wilson, and KVI commentator John Carlson at Civic Cocktail: Tax Shock & Better Gardening | seattlechannel.org

Of course, both Wilson and Herbolt want an income tax. The thing that perked me up, though, was when Wilson, at about 17 minutes, talked about the need for a serious tax reform discussion.

I've never seen that. Is it possible to have a serious discussion about tax policy that is not DOMINATED by egocentric celebrities and politicians?

The very issue of "regressive tax" is a good example. I have looked, for twenty years, to figure out why the people who support an income tax say that around 17% of the income of the lowest quintile goes to taxes.
(They divide the population into five income groups, each called a "quintile". The lowest quintile makes up to about $10,000 year, and the highest quintile makes over $120K a year. Give or take - it's been a while since I looked at these numbers)

This number makes no sense unless you assume that the lowest quintile gets free or highly subsidized housing, medical care, childcare, food, and transportation, and spends a huge percent of their disposable income on booze and alcohol. The closest thing I could find to explaning how those numbers are derived implied that very thing - mentioning the high "sinner" tax as affecting the poor disproportionately.

But aside from that claim,the real issue is: do you believe the politicians and pundits are really interested in helping the average working person? Do you really believe that pundits and politicians are immune to the interests of their super-wealthy owners and campaign contributors?

Do you really think the super-wealthy will pay their fair share of income tax? Or are they just pushing for an income tax, so the working-class families will pick up the slack when their multi-multi-million dollar mansions get their property taxes lowered?

Do you think that a "serious" discussion will include things like, "how do we ensure that the policically well-connected don't game the new tax system?" or "How do the politically-connected currently game the tax system?" or "What kind of transparency tools can be get BEFORE we enable a new revenue source, so that we can monitor the effects of tax policy change?

That last one is key, and I suggest that until we get a way to really look at where our tax monies are coming from and going to, we NOT open up yet another revenue stream.

Origianlly, the federal income tax was only for the duration of World War I, and was only 1% on income over $100,000 a year - a fortune in those days.

Once the state constitution is changed, all bets are off.

But it seems like tax policy discussion seems to be limited to sound bites, and oratorial blowhards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: