Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:25 PM

45 posts, read 295,410 times

Advertisements

Hi, sorry if there is already a forum for this, but does anyone know what the best neighborhood for kids is? I plan on moving to Seattle after I graduate and am anticiapting making around 40k a year, so it can't be overly pricey. I am a single mom, and am looking for an artsy community with a gay or music scene, that would be also be a good place for my 4 year old daughter. I need a place that is safe and has a good school district, but since I am single and in my twenties I don't want a boring suburb!!! Any suggestions? Oh the aesthetics of the area are important too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:15 AM

305 posts, read 1,610,472 times
Maybe try Greenlake. It may be a bit high for your budget, but could be do-able.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,954 times
I think you're looking for a situation that may not be a reality. You're asking a lot for $40K a year in Seattle. Will you need daycare, a car? Might have to settle for a boring burb until your salary comes up some.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 AM

I live in Honolulu now and I make less then that. I really doubt that Seattle is more expensive then here. Yes, daycare would be an requirement but I already have a car.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:37 AM

I just looked at Craigslist, and Greenlake is definitely doable on my budget, how is the crime rate? Is it pretty out there?

Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,954 times
Yeah I've heard that HI is expensive. I was thinking more about your wanting a good school for your daughter too. I don't know much about Seattle schools, but they don't have a good rep. Maybe Greenlake is an exception...I assume you've done a search on their schools and know if they're acceptable to you tho. Good luck...I'm not trying to discourage you. I just like to be realistic.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 PM

23 posts, read 107,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinhawaii View Post
I just looked at Craigslist, and Greenlake is definitely doable on my budget, how is the crime rate? Is it pretty out there?
Greenlake is one of the nicer areas of the city. Its called "greenlake" because the whole neighborhood is centered around a large lake called Greenlake. The lake also has a park with a jogging path surrounding it, so it is a very pretty area. As far as crime rate goes, it's much better than most areas in the city, but there is still the occasional car break in or vandalism, etc. The only areas I would stay away from are the area right on Aurora and right next to I-5. Otherwise its probably a pretty good choice.

Edit:
I should add greenlake is a little more suburban family oriented, but you are within very easy bussing distance of wallingford, fremont, Ballard, and the U-district which have more fun things to do.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 PM

98 posts, read 102,281 times
I agree with other posts that say your expectations given your income might be a little stretched, but that's all up to you. Also, the better school districts are in the suburbs.

Greenlake would put you close the zoo, park, and some other amenities that might appeal to you. Not sure on the crime question.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,188 times
To be honest, even the suburbs would be a stretch for your income... $40K does not go very far here... Portland, OR or Tacoma, WA would be interesting alternatives.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM

What is it that is so expensive? Is it the rent? Again, I get by on much less now in Honolulu, what would make the cost of living higher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: