Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,330 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am moving to Seattle in May for a three month internship, and I just wanted some input to where might be a good place for me to live. I am a 22 y/o student, and I would like to live in an area of the city where there is a lot going on and things to do. More or less centrally located and within walking distance to cafes, shops, restaurants, nightlife, etc.. I love nature, so it would be neat to live in an area with views of the Mtns and the water. I am also really into art, culture, diversity.. so living in a lively/hip neighborhood would be the ultimate. I won't have a car, so I will be dependent upon my bike and public transportation for getting places. I will be working just a few blocks south of Safeco Field, so I will also need to live within a considerable commute to my job (no more than an hour).. this will probably be the main factor for deciding on a location. I would like to find something in the $700-$1300, $1300 being the absolute max. I would be willing to pay on the higher end for a nice location and a shorter commute, and I know there are cheaper places in the U-District, which seems to be quite far from where I will be working, but which areas are nicer to live? Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to give a little info about my situation and my interests so I can try to find an area of the city that would be the best fit for me. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,037,307 times
What part of the city will you be working in?

The Capitol Hill area sounds like it may fit your requirements.
Capitol Hill

Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 AM

479 posts, read 2,217,780 times
Anywhere in North Seattle would probably work for you. You might enjoy Ravenna or Green Lake as it is pretty close to the Univeristy with lots of young people and things to do.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,030,769 times
Did you read their post? They will be working in the SODO area - North Seattle, Ravenna and Green Lake will be a hike.

Perhaps look in the Columbia City and First Hill areas. Even Central District may have what you are looking for.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 AM

479 posts, read 2,217,780 times
She said that she wants to be within one hour to her job. She is also looking for a lively/hip area so North Seattle was the first place that came to mind. The Central District might be okay too.
What about Belltown, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,257,766 times
Consider Fremont. Too far to walk to work, but 20 min drive or 30 ish bus ride. Fremont is lively, artsy, fun, and with more espresso, art galleries, and Thai restaurants per square mile than anywhere in Seattle, I think.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. The info has been really helpful. I've been having trouble finding a furnished sublet in Belltown, Fremont, Cap Hill for the months I will be staying there. But I did just recently find something in Leschi.. how do you all feel about this area? what is it like? are there plenty of cafes, shops, etc.. close by. what's the general feel of this area? I really enjoy the outdoors and it seems like there are some really nice parks and beautiful views of the mtns and water. that's definitely a plus for me! also close to the east side SODO area where i'll be working.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Leschi can mean two different things. One is the Leschi near Lake Washington, which is very nice with cafes, shops, etc. The other is still officially Leschi, but up the hill away from the water, and it can be both good and bad depending on where...Frink Park and leschi Park are in Leschi and have some nice hikes and views.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Thanks! Do you know of any other good resources besides craigslist to find short-term sublets or furnished apts. in Seattle? All of the corporate housing is too expensive.. I am looking for something in the $700-$1300 range.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM

thestranger.com, seattleweekly.com, littlenickel.com to name just a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: