Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:20 PM

21 posts, read 31,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
We also have kids.

My question is, where are you living now that you aren't worried about any natural disasters or man-made disasters? Our risk is pretty low. Even in the big one which is likely to be devastating, it's still not as bad as what some people face annually!
Currently in Colorado Springs. Fire risk is high, but we’re in city limits, not mountainside or Forrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would be far more concerned about the threat of volcanoes, and the peninsula seems safe from those.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/mt...har-hazard-map

Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 PM

21 posts, read 31,241 times
We currently live in Colorado Springs. The wildfires here can be bad, obviously, but we're in city limits where it's less of a chance.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7Qc3bsxjI

Old 11-24-2018, 01:06 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
What do people in the PNW think about this article if anyone has read it? Personally I'd love to live in the PNW, but this gives me pause.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...really-big-one

Quote:
Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA's Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”
Quote:
The shaking from the Cascadia quake will set off landslides throughout the region—up to thirty thousand of them in Seattle alone, the city’s emergency-management office estimates. It will also induce a process called liquefaction, whereby seemingly solid ground starts behaving like a liquid, to the detriment of anything on top of it. Fifteen per cent of Seattle is built on liquefiable land, including seventeen day-care centers and the homes of some thirty-four thousand five hundred people.
Something else I find interesting is that- Seattle Metro only has one Level 1 trauma center, which would without doubt be overburdened.

Last edited by Code Stemi; 11-24-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 01:31 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
What do people in the PNW think about this article if anyone has read it? Personally I'd love to live in the PNW, but this gives me pause.

Something else I find interesting is that- Seattle Metro only has one Level 1 trauma center, which would without doubt be overburdened.
Of course, in your quote, from the FEMA guy, he's talking about a major break-loose catastrophic quake of magnitudes no one has ever lived through yet.

In a major disaster like that... there is no getting to trauma centers in Seattle or anywhere.... it's going to be basic first aid, in your family, neighborhood and community.

Interestingly enough, if the major freeways go down, there is no off road travel here, the terrain doesn't allow it... there are few alternative over land routes. The great potential in emergency travel might well be in water travel. We will probably still have Puget Sound.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Of course, in your quote, from the FEMA guy, he's talking about a major break-loose catastrophic quake of magnitudes no one has ever lived through yet.

In a major disaster like that... there is no getting to trauma centers in Seattle or anywhere.... it's going to be basic first aid, in your family, neighborhood and community.

Interestingly enough, if the major freeways go down, there is no off road travel here, the terrain doesn't allow it... there are few alternative over land routes. The great potential in emergency travel might well be in water travel. We will probably still have Puget Sound.
Agreed. But the article states that a quake of that magnitude is overdue for the Cascadia region. So in other words those devastating consequences could happen at any moment. There are so many perks to the PNW, but "the big one" is depressing to think about. And one could all but guarantee the freeways would be in ruin.

The pacific ring of fire has been quite active with large magnitude earthquakes in the past decade and beyond. However the North America region remains silent..for how much longer, unknown. The article says something about the effect being felt from Vancouver B.C. all the way down to Sacramento. That's terrible.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
No telling when or what kind of catastrophes any place might actually see.

My suggestion is just be prepared to find a good vantage point and watch.

The universe is a really awesome powerful place.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post

If this is, in fact, true, I find this to be simply UNBELIEVABLE and UNACCEPTABLE!!!!! How could a major metropolis (a CMSA or Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area) like Greater Seattle/Puget Sound, WA have ONLY ONE single Level I Trauma Center????!!??!!???!?????????

Even a host of measurably smaller cities/metro areas around the USA have more than one Level I Trauma Center to serve them (along with Level II, Level III, et al to complement their existing Level I centers). How could the "powers-that-be" of the region and the state allow such a situation to prevail like this? That fact ALONE, if true, would hinder me from moving to that region.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:24 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
@chahnt;
Son informed me this morning that he increased our HOA fee by 8% for building earthquake insurance .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area