Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Moving in my experience has been cheaper than staying in the same place, because buildings offer deals (e.g. 1 month free) to new customers, especially new buildings looking to fill up quick. On the other hand staying in the same place allows them to keep jacking up the rent on you. Renting a truck costs nowhere close to $600, not sure where you got that number.

Excellent point, many new complexes are offering up to two months FREE right now, but if you find that at the same rate you pay now then that is an effective large rent decrease and makes the move worth it.

I never said the truck is $600, I merley said $600 would be the break even point if your facing a $50 month increase and that moving costs, including possibly losing part of your current deposit at move out, electric turn on fees etc could quickly add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 05:50 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
OP didn't mention anything about a job.

Does the OP need to be close by to a high paying job? Is there ANY reason for OP to be in such a pricey area? Would OP - as much as they love the apartment they're complaining about - be better off in another county altogether? Kitsap, Mason, maybe even Thurston would be much better dollar-for-dollar as far as rent goes.

Unless OP is an 80k + per year amazon/boeing/starbucks etc employee they're probably in the wrong area. This is not my personal opinion as much as it is a mathematical fact.
Seattle isnt the cheapest place in america to live. I love living in seattle so much and have so many friends in seattle and bellevue. I go to jewish groups and aspergers social groups here in seattle. Kitsap county probably doesn't offer very much. Kitsap and thruston county are cheaper than seattle for a reason.

Id rather pay more for rent in seattle even though its more than i want to spend because seattle has so much to do and offer.

Unfortunately no desriable place to live in america is cheap.

Even apartments in Scottsdale,arizona and sumerlin near las vegas,neveda have similar apartment rental prices to northgate seattle.

It could be worse. Instead of paying $1300 or $1400 a month for a onebedroom 610 sqaure foot apartment in northgate seattle i could have to pay $1900 or $2000 a month if i wanted a similar one bedroom apartment in encino,California near my parents house.

Unfortunately im not a amazon,Boeing or starbucks employee making $80,000 or more a year.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Seattle isnt the cheapest place in america to live. I love living in seattle so much and have so many friends in seattle and bellevue. I go to jewish groups and aspergers social groups here in seattle. Kitsap county probably doesn't offer very much. Kitsap and thruston county are cheaper than seattle for a reason.

Id rather pay more for rent in seattle even though its more than i want to spend because seattle has so much to do and offer.

Unfortunately no desriable place to live in america is cheap.

Even apartments in Scottsdale,arizona and sumerlin near las vegas,neveda have similar apartment rental prices to northgate seattle.

It could be worse. Instead of paying $1300 or $1400 a month for a onebedroom 610 sqaure foot apartment in northgate seattle i could have to pay $1900 or $2000 a month if i wanted a similar one bedroom apartment in encino,California near my parents house.

Unfortunately im not a amazon,Boeing or starbucks employee making $80,000 or more a year.
Scottsdale is equal to Bellevue, so you’d be looking at double Scottsdale prices in Bellevue in an apples to apples comparison. Northgate is more like east Mesa ot south downtown Phoenix where a place like yours would probably be $750

Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM

I like it much much better here in Seattle then when i lived in Encino,California near los angeles. Here in seattle and bellevue i have over a dozen friends that are great people who are real friends.

Im very friendly with this single woman in bellevue who is a friend that i feel may turn into my next girlfriend.

In the los angeles area i didnt really have any friends. In LA i often went places all alone.

In LA i had an abusive user girlfriend that used me for money. When i moved to seattle i broke up with her.

In LA i owned a car and had no choice but to drive everywhere.

About 4 months before i moved to seattle my cars transmission blew out in the LA area.

Here in seattle i can walk places or relax on the bus to get around.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Scottsdale is equal to Bellevue, so you’d be looking at double Scottsdale prices in Bellevue in an apples to apples comparison. Northgate is more like east Mesa where a place like yours would probably be $750
Mesa is a good comarison to northgate. The only thing different about northgate than mesa is from northgate its a short bus ride to Ballard or downtown seattle.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 PM

When my mom came to visit me she said Bellevue reminds her of Beverly Hills and northgate reminds her of van nuys or parts of northridge.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:48 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post

Who wouldn't? You've got champagne taste but beer money. At the direction Seattle is heading, you're gonna goof around and end up on the street without a roof over your head, my friend.

You could live in Kitsap and ride the ferry if you can't live without some Seattle in your life. Or just learn to adjust to a different vibe and phase Seattle out of your life as cost-prohibitive.

Your post isn't grounded in reality - you are 'out to get the greedy/no good landlord', but have nothing to negotiate a lease with.

This will not go down well with you, but you are actually preventing a renter who can and will gladly pay the higher rent an opportunity to have a home instead of you, who is gritting your teeth to pay an increase and are grousing about the rude landlord.

If I were the LL in question I would gladly take a renter that actually wants to call the unit home badly enough to gladly pay for the prime location. Someone that actually belongs there. You do not have the upper hand on the LL by paying rent like it's a charitable favor to the LL/corporation that owns the building.

Do you think someone owes you the terms that make sense to YOU?

Nothing personal and it may sound harsh but somebody needs to be truthful with you.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:07 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm impressed. The buses running on 15th NE, once you get out past Maple Leaf, only run every 1/2 hr. and every hr. in the evenings and Sundays. That seems like a pretty basic corridor; I don't know why they're not more frequent.
Greenwood/Phinney is a major north-south corridor, with lots of apartments.

#67 (on Roosevelt/12th NE), #372X (on 25th NE/Lake City Way), and #65 (on 35th NE) are "frequent" bus routes that all dead-end at the UW light-rail station. 15th NE has the #73, which is an "all-day", but not a "frequent" route. When light rail comes to Northgate, Roosevelt, and the U District, all those routes are going to be scrambled again.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 04-09-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Who wouldn't? You've got champagne taste but beer money. At the direction Seattle is heading, you're gonna goof around and end up on the street without a roof over your head, my friend.

You could live in Kitsap and ride the ferry if you can't live without some Seattle in your life. Or just learn to adjust to a different vibe and phase Seattle out of your life as cost-prohibitive.

Your post isn't grounded in reality - you are 'out to get the greedy/no good landlord', but have nothing to negotiate a lease with.

This will not go down well with you, but you are actually preventing a renter who can and will gladly pay the higher rent an opportunity to have a home instead of you, who is gritting your teeth to pay an increase and are grousing about the rude landlord.

If I were the LL in question I would gladly take a renter that actually wants to call the unit home badly enough to gladly pay for the prime location. Someone that actually belongs there. You do not have the upper hand on the LL by paying rent like it's a charitable favor to the LL/corporation that owns the building.

Nothing personal and it may sound harsh but somebody needs to be truthful with you.
A landlord is a business and not a charity. A landlord is free to charge whatever they want and free to charge whatever they feel they can get.

My choice as a renter is to pay the increased rent or vote with my wallet and move.

San Francisco,los angeles and san diego are on my list of being to cost prohibitive for me.

When i moved to seattle it was cheaper than the 3 big California cities in july 2015. As it appears seattle is becoming as expensive as the 3 big California cities unfortunately. Lynnwood,washington is cheaper than northgate seattle and similar to kitsap county prices.

Is Seattle going to become a rich persons only town like San Francisco?? We all hope not.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:

If i sign another lease in july 2018 and am willing to pay the increased rent the landlord and apartment manager would be glad to take my money.

I do realize that in the hot seattle apartment rental market that negotiating rent wont work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area