Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
5 miles is nothing. That won't get you to the Kitsap Peninsula. The Chunnel (under the English Channel) is 31 miles long. That's closer to the distances that would be necessary.

Maybe the best route, to keep it out of Seattle's way, would be from around Edmonds somewhere, across to north of Kingston.
I think the route b/w Seattle and Bainbridge Island is only like... 8 miles or so, that's why I was saying the idea could be feasible. The cost would definitely be absurd, so I don't know if it'll ever happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I think the route b/w Seattle and Bainbridge Island is only like... 8 miles or so, that's why I was saying the idea could be feasible. The cost would definitely be absurd, so I don't know if it'll ever happen.
Thanks, I was trying to find the distance between Sea. & Bainbridge. Still, seems like it would be more than 8 or 10 miles...

Seattle can't handle any more traffic, though. Shoreline or Edmonds or Everett would be good. Or maybe West Seattle or south of there, but then W Seattle would get wrecked.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
I don't see this happening (at least any time soon) for 3 reasons...

- The city of Seattle (and to a lesser extent, the state) trying to reduce the number of cars in the city through "punish drivers" policies - the current ferry system mitigates car inflow, to some extent.

- NIMBYism from some peninsula/island communities. Making them more feasible bedroom community options for people working in Seattle would likely invite rampant growth/major COL spikes. Lots of folks who live out there will likely oppose such a project. To a lesser extent, there may also be some environmental NIMBYism over concerns of increasing sprawl in the region/possible effects on Puget Sound as well.

- The initial upfront costs. Building a tunnel system to accommodate both population growth, as well as increased port/ship activity as the region grows would cost a pretty penny - when people are already being squeezed for existing infrastructure projects, such as ST3.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Thanks, I was trying to find the distance between Sea. & Bainbridge. Still, seems like it would be more than 8 or 10 miles...

Seattle can't handle any more traffic, though. Shoreline or Edmonds or Everett would be good. Or maybe West Seattle or south of there, but then W Seattle would get wrecked.
Wikipedia had the distance listed @

Seattle -- Bainbridge Island: 8.6 miles
Seattle -- Bremerton: 17 miles
Mukilteo -- Clinton: 3.32 miles
Edmonds -- Kingston: 5.68 to 6 miles

Fauntleroy to Southworth distance wasn't listed, but a source online said it was about "5 miles across".

I think as long as Seattle is desirable, traffic is going to be wrecked either way.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Distance between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island is 3.252 mi
Distance between west point (discovery park) and Bainbridge island is 4.653 mi
Distance between alki point and Bainbridge Island is 4.450 mi
Distance between Brace point (Flountleroy) and Vashon Island is 4.235 mi
Distance between three tree point (Burien/Normandy Park) and Vashon Island is 4.121 mi

Also if you don't want to be underground for 5 miles we could build a submerged floating tunnel, one hasn't been built yet, but considering we have the worlds longest floating bridges, it would only make sense that we would have the first floating/suspended tunnels, and these tunnels theoretically could have windows too.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Made up of a series of underwater valleys and ridges called basins and sills, Puget Sound is deep, with an average depth of 450 feet. The maximum depth (930 feet) occurs just north of Seattle.
Geology of Puget Sound

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Distance between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island is 3.252 mi
Distance between west point (discovery park) and Bainbridge island is 4.653 mi
Distance between alki point and Bainbridge Island is 4.450 mi
Distance between Brace point (Flountleroy) and Vashon Island is 4.235 mi
Distance between three tree point (Burien/Normandy Park) and Vashon Island is 4.121 mi

Also if you don't want to be underground for 5 miles we could build a submerged floating tunnel, one hasn't been built yet, but considering we have the worlds longest floating bridges, it would only make sense that we would have the first floating/suspended tunnels, and these tunnels theoretically could have windows too.

Thank you for looking up those distances, grega.

The Bay Area BART tunnel across San Francisco Bay is not underground. It doesn't float, either. It lies on the bottom of the Bay. I guess that wouldn't be possible in Puget Sound.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:

The Bay Area BART tunnel across San Francisco Bay is not underground. It doesn't float, either. It lies on the bottom of the Bay. I guess that wouldn't be possible in Puget Sound.
Are you talking about immersed tubes?

And why wouldn't that be possible in the Puget sound? Is it too deep?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:

No.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...a-this-summer/

Largest container ship ever to visit U.S. arrives in Seattle | KOMO

Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Ok so how deep are the hulls of these ships, what depths do they need to stay afloat?

IDK about the cargo ships, but for the largest cruise ship in the world, only 30 ft of the ship is underwater and considering that the Puget sound has an average depth of 460 ft, there could easily be a submerged floating tunnel that would go down to around 200 ft.

https://www.livescience.com/7922-wor...ip-floats.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area