Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:01 PM

69 posts, read 246,168 times

Advertisements

So any idea what the Microsoft work culture is? Apart form the fact that they take good care of their employees, what is it like working there? Is there a general type of person who works there, so any obvious shared characteristics? Do they work really late, or is there work-lifestyle balance? What causes do they support locally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,056,523 times
About "causes MS supports":
Bill Gates' parents have all their lives been deeply involved in the local community and charitable giving. Bill grew up with a sense of belonging, caring, supporting and give-back responsibility, and continues that way of being through both Microsoft the company and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which contributes massively to children, education, health concerns and other community needs throughout the world.

These might interest you:
microsoft community responsibility - Google Search
and
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm - broken link)

Perhaps you have seen in the news that Warren Buffet, the first, second or third wealthiest person in the world (it varies from year to year) is, in the later years of his life, contributing most of his vast tens of billions of US dollars in personal fortune to the Gates Foundation, in personal and public support of the philosophy, goals, methods and organization of that foundation and its main trustees, Bill and Melinda Gates.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:41 PM

69 posts, read 246,168 times
Yeah, Just about everyone the world over knows about their good works. I remember distinctly the moment I read about Warren Buffet's contribution - I was sitting in one of those awful lounges in LAX waiting for a connection and reading thought "how cool". A real vote of confidence in how B&M are administering it. I also enjoyed the article Time ran on them and Bono for being Persons of the Year. Made them out to be these cool business-minded philanthropists who distributed millions with cool efficiency. And they said Bono was just like them, only he happened to make great music as well!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:08 PM

Yes, Bono. Fairly scruffy on the outside; heart of gold and multi-dimensional perception on the inside... The hotel U2 own in Dublin uses part of its profits to help the needy in Ireland. Aren't people surprising and wonderful? :-)

P.S. Now I know why your English is spelled in American style. You hang around here! :-)

Last edited by allforcats; 03-23-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 05:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,102,526 times
As a former MS employee, I would characterize the average personality of a Microsoftee is a type A personality, they are driven and work hard. In general, most Microsoft folks don't work more or less than everyone else in the tech industry. But remember the company is so big now that it is composed of just about every type of person and personality. Each group within MS will have its own personality as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Woodinvilleguy, great input. Question: did you live in W'vlle when you were at MS, and if so how was the commute? Thank you. :-)

Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 PM

34 posts, read 117,473 times
my best friend works at microsoft and i say he has a very pleasant lifestyle. microsoft takes care of their employees, has great teambuilding activities/atmosphere. as far as i can see, your work schedule is very flexible and your benefits/salary pay for a great live/work balance (i.e., long vacations and expensive hobbies).

Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 AM

MS work culture: I often drive past, sometimes through, the main campus -- and on Saturdays, Saturday nights, Sunday mornings, Sunday afternoons I see all those cars parked there of folks working! YIKES!!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,581,571 times
50% type A folks (these are the people that cut you off on 520 in their Porsches), 10% socially introverted engineers, 25% socially reserved H1-B workers, 15% superfluous management.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,102,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Woodinvilleguy, great input. Question: did you live in W'vlle when you were at MS, and if so how was the commute? Thank you. :-)
thanks, I lived at the end on Avondale in the Reintree neighborhood which is east Woodinville. The commute took me around 20-30 minutes usually. But if you get to work at 9am then it take 45 minutes because of crowds and school buses. If you leave by 8am, you are in the 20-30 minute window. after 9:30 you are in the 20-30 minute window. Of course if it snows or it is halloween, just work from home and vpn in. Most managers at MS understand that snow is a good reason to not come in and work from home.

Of course when I bike commuted in, it took me 30 minutes in and 45 minutes home. A nice way to get a good work out and save money too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area