Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM

135 posts, read 164,506 times

Advertisements

They are not going to leave Seattle, but HQ2 will gradually evolve into the de facto HQ, as more jobs go from Seattle to HQ2. In 10 years, HQ2 will have the majority of corporate jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 03:58 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance2Tech View Post
They are not going to leave Seattle, but HQ2 will gradually evolve into the de facto HQ, as more jobs go from Seattle to HQ2. In 10 years, HQ2 will have the majority of corporate jobs.
Totally agree. They are using HQ2 as a way to relocate gradually. If they pick a relatively centralized city like Denver, or Chicago, then that is a clear sign.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:10 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Totally agree. They are using HQ2 as a way to relocate gradually. If they pick a relatively centralized city like Denver, or Chicago, then that is a clear sign.
The IT world moves a lot faster than people can imagine though. It is much simpler to move a bunch of geeks and their computers to another location than a bunch of locally born and bred blue collar factory workers and their manufacturing facilities to another location

Old 05-17-2018, 04:11 PM

135 posts, read 164,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As someone who used to live in Chicago and absolutely love the city, I would be utterly ecstatic if Chicago is HQ2. Most likely it will be DC or Boston.

One of Amazon's biggest weaknesses is its inability to attract truly top tier talent from the best schools. It loses out to Google/Facebook and other tech firms that are more prestigious and/or offer better compensation and benefits. I think the Seattle location is a major factor, as graduates of elite schools want to be in NYC/Boston/SF/LA/Chicago, since that's where their classmates end up, and those cities offer more than Seattle.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 PM

310 posts, read 446,754 times
The homeless can occupy all the Amazon offices when they leave.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:47 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
From what I've read, Amazon is not a particularly good place to work.

Quote:
As someone who used to live in Chicago and absolutely love the city, I would be utterly ecstatic if Chicago is HQ2. Most likely it will be DC or Boston.

One of Amazon's biggest weaknesses is its inability to attract truly top tier talent from the best schools. It loses out to Google/Facebook and other tech firms that are more prestigious and/or offer better compensation and benefits. I think the Seattle location is a major factor, as graduates of elite schools want to be in NYC/Boston/SF/LA/Chicago, since that's where their classmates end up, and those cities offer more than Seattle.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:45 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Quote:

I doubt that. But the point is not worth debating. Our son is a TT and raised in Oregon. He's been all over and Seattle is still in 1st place. His companys' problem (nationally known) is that AMZN, MSFT, GOOG, have very attractive wages. He's lost some good candidates; But working conditions are generally better at his company. The bigger point is that tech people have a lot options.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 PM

301 posts, read 312,554 times
The interesting thing about wages at AMZN is that they are actually not that great, they are okay: definitely above average but not top of the pack and very much not worth it considering how much life they juice out of you. I’ve worked for comparable well known tech corps with comparable wages and pretty good life balance. I’ve also worked for mid sized tech companies with comparable wages and perfect life balance.

I honestly don’t know where AMZN manages to find so many employees, it’s literally the last tech company I’d consider working for and if they leave Seattle, I will only welcome this. I’d much rather prefer friendlier companies fill in that void (which is practically any company out there).

Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
The interesting thing about wages at AMZN is that they are actually not that great, they are okay: definitely above average but not top of the pack and very much not worth it considering how much life they juice out of you. I’ve worked for comparable well known tech corps with comparable wages and pretty good life balance. I’ve also worked for mid sized tech companies with comparable wages and perfect life balance.

I honestly don’t know where AMZN manages to find so many employees, it’s literally the last tech company I’d consider working for and if they leave Seattle, I will only welcome this. I’d much rather prefer friendlier companies fill in that void (which is practically any company out there).

This is another reason why Amazon will have a very easy time of relocating. They are one of the most transient IT companies in the country. Most professionals (as in the higher paid IT workers) only get a job of Amazon to get a jump start their career and put a reputable company on their resume. Very few people stay at Amazon and try working their way up the corporate ladder. It is murder! I have Amazon recruiters trying to solicit me for senior software jobs and I avoid them like the plague. I'm getting too old to handle 60-70 hour work weeks and the company's culture is so cutthroat. Wheras other companies encourage people to work together, Amazon encourages people to work against each other. Amazon is not like even other IT companies and the city of Seattle doesn't realize this either. Amazon brings in talent from all over the country and very few of that talent ends up staying at Amazon or even staying in Seattle.

With all that being said, I am still a staunch capitalist and believe Amazon has the right to operate their business any way they please as long as they are not breaking any laws. And, despite all the criticism Jeff Bezos has played his cards quite well and has the most successful company in the world. Seattle should be kneeling down and licking his backside for the amount of capital he brings to the city. Seattle will feel the squeeze when he migrates over to his new headquarters (which is falsely being referred to as HQ2). There is no other company in America that has a second headquarters in the same country. The whole concept of a "Second" headquarters is baffling. It appears Jeff Bezos was already planning his migration out of Seattle even before this whole Head Tax ordeal started. Bezos obviously has very good intuition and can see the tidal wave coming before the storm even hits.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 PM

301 posts, read 312,554 times
@Rotse I definitely agree about the transient career thing but even then, US is a pretty good place to be when you are a good dev and if you want to jump start your career there are other companies out there: Google, FB, Adobe, Expedia, Microsoft, etc, etc.. I haven't worked for all of them but the ones I worked for and the ones I had friends at left a pretty good impression on me and I haven't heard the horror stories I've heard about Amazon. One of these companies that I worked for had a pretty good life balance actually: there were quirks but overall I was working exactly 8 hour work day and didn't feel like I was looked down for this.

I am also a capitalist and I don't support all this recent tax silliness (but would very much support non-silly taxes if that ever happens). But as a capitalist to a capitalist explain to me: why city of Seattle needs to be kneeling down and licking Amazon's backside? They are a bad company, bad influence, just you know: a bad deal. Amazon is definitely free to operate in whatever legal way they wish, but so does Seattle, no? Seattle is not a one company town anymore, it will survive Amazon leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area