Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times

Advertisements

Just a note: you can't really judge a school by test scores, online grading systems or glowing web reviews from well-off parents. It's so important to visit and really talk to teachers and other parents, and ask tough questions. We were so dazzled by the 'hip' little enclave in which we moved, and the beautiful old school, and everything felt right...but we didn't dig or vet enough because we trusted what was on paper.

My children attended a beloved '10' school in a highly regarded neighborhood of Seattle and were bullied daily; one day my son even came home bleeding. He was a shy boy and a year younger than his peers, and was picked on for it. In my opinion, the line between free-range parenting and simply NGAF is somewhat blurred here, and there was never any discipline for these children by the school or the parents. One teacher even allowed my kindergartner to wander off school grounds during the school day and couldn't understand why I was upset. This is ALL anecdotal, and by no means an indictment on SPS as a whole. It's just a vibe that feels ingrained with the teachers and parents that is non-confrontational, noncommittal and hands-off to a fault.

I loved the schools we visited in West Seattle, and had a wonderful feeling there. It has the beauty and hipness you seek, but there is just a different vibe than exists in the Northeast. There are a couple other moms here who moved away from the same area who had similar experiences to ours. You, of course, may have a completely different experience and that would be fantastic. Just don't tell anyone about the Catholic thing. ;-) I'm kidding, but Seattle is the most atheistic city in the U.S. And if they judge you for your faith or living in an apartment, just laugh at them. They won't know what to do and will probably run away.

As for the gifted program, in SPS it's overloaded. There's an integrated program and pullout for the top one percent. With so many smart, techie types living and moving here, I'm sure you can imagine how smart their little ones are! Touring the pullout/self-contained program, it was in an abandoned high school at the time, and the site moved around quite a bit. Perhaps things have changed now. I hope they have - this city is only growing, and these amazing minds need stability and space and a place to be. There's a great blog that covers all of the issues regarding gifted education. We ended up moving out of the district to attend the 'best' (again, on paper) state gifted program for my youngest, and my son went to private. The best private school in Seattle offers fantastic financial aid and scholarships, but doesn't start until fifth grade. I suggest you keep it on your radar. It's tough getting in, but it's a beautiful educational experience.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy the weather, though I love those -30 temps in the Midwest. Call me crazy. Welcome! If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 03:21 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Just a note: you can't really judge a school by test scores, online grading systems or glowing web reviews from well-off parents. It's so important to visit and really talk to teachers and other parents, and ask tough questions. We were so dazzled by the 'hip' little enclave in which we moved, and the beautiful old school, and everything felt right...but we didn't dig or vet enough because we trusted what was on paper.

My children attended a beloved '10' school in a highly regarded neighborhood of Seattle and were bullied daily; one day my son even came home bleeding. He was a shy boy and a year younger than his peers, and was picked on for it. In my opinion, the line between free-range parenting and simply NGAF is somewhat blurred here, and there was never any discipline for these children by the school or the parents. One teacher even allowed my kindergartner to wander off school grounds during the school day and couldn't understand why I was upset. This is ALL anecdotal, and by no means an indictment on SPS as a whole. It's just a vibe that feels ingrained with the teachers and parents that is non-confrontational, noncommittal and hands-off to a fault.

I loved the schools we visited in West Seattle, and had a wonderful feeling there. It has the beauty and hipness you seek, but there is just a different vibe than exists in the Northeast. There are a couple other moms here who moved away from the same area who had similar experiences to ours. You, of course, may have a completely different experience and that would be fantastic. Just don't tell anyone about the Catholic thing. ;-) I'm kidding, but Seattle is the most atheistic city in the U.S. And if they judge you for your faith or living in an apartment, just laugh at them. They won't know what to do and will probably run away.

As for the gifted program, in SPS it's overloaded. There's an integrated program and pullout for the top one percent. With so many smart, techie types living and moving here, I'm sure you can imagine how smart their little ones are! Touring the pullout/self-contained program, it was in an abandoned high school at the time, and the site moved around quite a bit. Perhaps things have changed now. I hope they have - this city is only growing, and these amazing minds need stability and space and a place to be. There's a great blog that covers all of the issues regarding gifted education. We ended up moving out of the district to attend the 'best' (again, on paper) state gifted program for my youngest, and my son went to private. The best private school in Seattle offers fantastic financial aid and scholarships, but doesn't start until fifth grade. I suggest you keep it on your radar. It's tough getting in, but it's a beautiful educational experience.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy the weather, though I love those -30 temps in the Midwest. Call me crazy. Welcome! If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.
Well said angelino girl. Just want to point out that Catholics are very common here. The parishes tens to be open minded and accepting, mirroring the ethos of the city.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Greatschools recently changed their rankings I believe. Lafayette in West Seattle for example was a 9 and is now a 6, many other schools in West Seattle also changed (Arbor Heights went from 6 to 4). It appears they added Equity and Environment categories into their formulas, also based on test scores but digging into how the lowest achievers do and how minorities do.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
I'll put in a plug for our current neighborhood - the central district near 23rd and union. Within a one-block radius of our home, there are dozens of kids between the ages of 1 and 12, including whole cohorts of 12 year olds, 7 year olds, and 5 year olds who all play together. Lots of different social circles to join and very friendly neighbors. We have block parties, cocktail hours, holiday gatherings, and informal meet-ups. We are walking distance to Capitol Hill, including the ultra hip Pike/Pine corridor (popular for night outs), about a mile from downtown, and lots of local cafes, restaurants, parks, and other amenities are within a couple block radius. Easy to commute to SoDo, South Lake Union, and even the eastside (we're equidistant between 520 and I90, the main routes across the lake). The school this neighborhood is zoned for is Madrona, which doesn't look great based on overall test scores but upon closer examination, seems great. I'm planning to send my incoming kinder there after touring the school and soliciting extensive parent feedback. I work in education and felt really good about the work of the PTA and the principal. Your child can test in to the gifted program but that's never guaranteed and they've limited the role private testing can play in appeals for entrance. The gifted program is located just south of 23rd and union at Thurgood Marshall. Students can also opt into a school through choice, which opens in Feburary. Tops K-8 is the option school for this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area