Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Nationwide, the US is falling far short of dealing with it's mentally ill. At the same time, we have a pretty good "safety net" for those that stay clean and aren't violent and/or criminal, therefore, what you see on the street is the mentally ill, drunks, and druggies, and the criminal element that goes with it. Sadly, providing more perks for them is just going to draw more of them to the area, and there will be more problems from drugs to theft to assault to poop and needles littering the streets and parks. I'm pretty positive other cities are happy as clams to give their "problems" one way greyhound tickets to the land of golden handout opportunities, Seattle.
We do? What safety net is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:34 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
I agree about Ravenna but what part of Green Lake? I'm looking out my office window right now, right across from the NE side of the lake by the indoor pool and paddle boats. I just walked to lunch through the woods next to the lake near here. I do this regularly, haven't seen anything you are talking about.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We do? What safety net is that?
Washington spends in excess of 30% of it's entire state tax revenue on food stamps, social services, assisted living, and the like. There are shelters in the cities, and shelters offered by churches and the like. They will refuse or boot you out if you are drunk or using drugs, and that is why they are on the street.
The worst part is, these cities that proclaim themselves "sanctuary cities", and "homeless friendly" only draw in more of them. Then when the shelters are full they have to turn people away, and the cycle continues.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Washington spends in excess of 30% of it's entire state tax revenue on food stamps, social services, assisted living, and the like. There are shelters in the cities, and shelters offered by churches and the like. They will refuse or boot you out if you are drunk or using drugs, and that is why they are on the street.
The worst part is, these cities that proclaim themselves "sanctuary cities", and "homeless friendly" only draw in more of them. Then when the shelters are full they have to turn people away, and the cycle continues.
Shelters aren't much of a safety net. People in them are still considered homeless. They're better than nothing, maybe, though I've heard some former residents of them disagree. The fact that they exist and do help some people doesn't answer the question: why is there so much homelessness now? And it keeps increasing y leaps and bounds.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
They've been pushed north, out of illegal encampments that have been cleared (and fenced) further south.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
They've been pushed north, out of illegal encampments that have been cleared (and fenced) further south.
Obviously, this hasn't solved the problem. It only pushes the illegal encampments north, but thanks for the explanation. It makes sense, unfortunately, but clearly pushing the encampments around doesn't solve anything.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Unfortunately the homeless problem is a viscous cycle. Clean up one area, and the homeless move to another town or area.
Same problem out here. High cost of living does not help.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Obviously, this hasn't solved the problem. It only pushes the illegal encampments north, but thanks for the explanation. It makes sense, unfortunately, but clearly pushing the encampments around doesn't solve anything.
Lots of areas where homeless used to camp have been cleared and fenced off - the large camp just east of I-5 (north of 40th), just a couple months ago, for instance. In Ballard, the area along the tracks between The Locks and The Canal (restaurant/caterer) was cleared and fenced at least a year ago; the parking areas under the 15th NW overpass (over Leary Way) have also been cleared and fenced. Downtown, most of the encampments under I-5 or the Viaduct have been cleared and fenced.

There is a process for clearing encampments, so it takes time - notification, offering of resources/services, including shelter/housing. Camps on park land can be cleared immediately. Once they've cleared Green Lake, where will they go next?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Lots of areas where homeless used to camp have been cleared and fenced off - the large camp just east of I-5 (north of 40th), just a couple months ago, for instance. In Ballard, the area along the tracks between The Locks and The Canal (restaurant/caterer) was cleared and fenced at least a year ago; the parking areas under the 15th NW overpass (over Leary Way) have also been cleared and fenced. Downtown, most of the encampments under I-5 or the Viaduct have been cleared and fenced.

There is a process for clearing encampments, so it takes time - notification, offering of resources/services, including shelter/housing. Camps on park land can be cleared immediately. Once they've cleared Green Lake, where will they go next?
This was exactly my point. Somebody should Do Something, beyond moving the camps around. Why isn't there decent care for the mentally ill in this country? It's inhumane!

Maybe shuffling the homeless around town is someone's strategy for shaking more tax money out of the taxpayers? It takes money to provide care for people, you know, and the mentally ill aren't known for paying property taxes...

Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Unfortunately the homeless problem is a viscous cycle. Clean up one area, and the homeless move to another town or area.
Same problem out here. High cost of living does not help.
I'd actually say that's a big part of the problem. I lived in Hawai'i for many years before moving to this area and I agree that there are many homeless there. At one point, we were awfully close to losing our living space because low income + expensive housing = bad results. And my husband and I were both employed professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area