Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:13 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria_ View Post
Thank you all! Honestly, I find men everywhere don’t approach much anymore with the online options. Sad but true. I do hope to live in Capitol Hill near my job or maybe try Ballard. The goal is to get by without a car and maybe get one at a later time.
Capitol Hill/First Hill is going to be more expensive, although closer to NYC density-wise. Light rail, streetcar, and buses give you good connections. Figure $1,400 to $1,600. Dating crowd more in their 20s or gay. See: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true

For more of a dating crowd in their 30s, look at Lower Queen Anne. Excellent transit. Lots of events/festivals at the Seattle Center. For the rugged type, join the https://www.mountaineers.org. See:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 05:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He's absolutely right, OP; the guys who whine on this forum about how difficult dating is in Seattle aren't even trying, since we know that the few guys who are friendly and chat up women, like Blondebearde, here, scoop 'em up with ease. You can put those "reserved" awkward guys in a room of single women, and they'll all cling desperately to the sidelines, unwilling to say "boo" to any of the women, even if the women get fed up with waiting for the men to make a move, and approach the guys, themselves. The men are a bit friendlier in the suburbs to the north and south of town, btw.

As to the bolded, getting out to enjoy nature without a car (been there, done that) means joining a hiking group that carpools, or getting a cheap weekend rental through Enterprise car rentals, or using car-sharing venues.
Ruth, Ruth, Ruth: you give me too much credit. I have a thing on my FB page that says, "those of you who think you are nice guys...probably aren't as nice as you think you are!" Friendly, yeah. I'll buy that.

Once posted, couple female friends (yes, I have several good platonic female pals) and two ex-GFs on FB chimed in with, "ah, er, well...ah, er..."

But thanks. I am rather direct, fearless without being *too* jerky, and articulate. If not quite nice...that's the way to pickup (or rather, engage with in a healthy way) single ladies. Or any ladies, IMO! Hell, if I met you at a party, I'd chat you up. Wouldn't surprise me if we've already met, if we have similar circles: I definitely do with at least one another person on here, whom I shall not name, which I did think amusing when we figured it out some years ago

OP will be fine. There are younger, presentable, non-jerky versions of me who make good money around here who won't be afraid to ask her out.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:30 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Blonde, With Car 2 go, Reach Now and all the other car share possibilities, I think it's entirely feasible to live carless and just grab one when you need it.
Y'know, you could be right. I Uber the heck out of my business trips anymore which sure beats renting cars where I am. With creativity and monetizing each trip, it is doable.

I do however stand by my statement that Eastside is tougher to live in w/o a car. Just a bit less convenient; not, of course, "impossible" per se.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Y'know, you could be right. I Uber the heck out of my business trips anymore which sure beats renting cars where I am. With creativity and monetizing each trip, it is doable.

I do however stand by my statement that Eastside is tougher to live in w/o a car. Just a bit less convenient; not, of course, "impossible" per se.
Blonde, I completely agree. Seattle would be much easier in this way, I'm imagining the OP would live there.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 AM

13 posts, read 12,645 times
Quote:
Hello, I am 34 and living in Manhattan. It was fun in the beginning but I feel trapped on this island, miss nature and hate, hate crowds and excessive tourists. I grew up outside the city, so have been a New Yorker all my life. Granted, NY has a lot to do and can be fun but the weather sucks and the dating or horrible. I really want to meet a quality man but feel I have been out with tons of guys since I have been single and they have a disposable mindset here. There are a lot of good looking, quality ladies in NYC to choose from a s less men. I have stuck it out here because I have a cheap, stabilized apt. but it’s old and 6 flights of stairs, and I am ready for a change. I was offered a job in Seattle and although my rent would axtuallly be more I would still make similar salary. I am hoping to no need a vehicle. At least for a year or so. I am assuming dating has to be a little better. There are more men in Seattle. I am into the rugged/manly type but really just want a nice/stable guy to settle down with. I love the outdoors and feel the city offers enough. I am past the partying stage. I am scared of it being hard to make friends because of Seattle freeze, but I heard that is becoming less common. When I was visiting there a month back, i though people were pretty outgoing and friendly. Any advise? I aim to do this in a cost effective manner and want to start a new life there.
Hello,

Seattle & New York is almost the same in every way. If you're a business professional, young & just starting out your career then you'll be fine. But, if you want to find that special person to start a family then neither cities are a good choice. Hint: Find your special someone before you move to Seattle.

I moved to Seattle 22 years ago, I was single back then & I'm now moving to the Phoenix area & still single.

Seattle has an industrial museum called MOHAI, they had a pic of the census once, way in the back, so not offend the populace, it stated that 50% of the population is single. I think the number is much more higher than that & having spent so many years in Seattle, I know the reasons behind it, singles in Seattle always looking for something better to come along or in other words, it's like shoe or car shopping, lol!

The Seattle freeze is real & it will never go away no matter what happens!

Good luck

Old 05-29-2018, 10:15 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigdriver View Post
Hello,

Seattle & New York is almost the same in every way. If you're a business professional, young & just starting out your career then you'll be fine. But, if you want to find that special person to start a family then neither cities are a good choice. Hint: Find your special someone before you move to Seattle.

I moved to Seattle 22 years ago, I was single back then & I'm now moving to the Phoenix area & still single.

Seattle has an industrial museum called MOHAI, they had a pic of the census once, way in the back, so not offend the populace, it stated that 50% of the population is single. I think the number is much more higher than that & having spent so many years in Seattle, I know the reasons behind it, singles in Seattle always looking for something better to come along or in other words, it's like shoe or car shopping, lol!

The Seattle freeze is real & it will never go away no matter what happens!

Good luck
No, that's not the reason. The reason is that the singles aren't talking to each other! They don't mingle. The men don't talk to the women who show up to the social events. And some of the guys are like a recent poster, who said he's been living in Seattle for 3 years, and has no idea how/where to meet women. Some of them never figure it out, which seems very odd, because the women are definitely out there, getting involved in community activities, hoping to meet guys.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, that's not the reason. The reason is that the singles aren't talking to each other! They don't mingle. The men don't talk to the women who show up to the social events. And some of the guys are like a recent poster, who said he's been living in Seattle for 3 years, and has no idea how/where to meet women. Some of them never figure it out, which seems very odd, because the women are definitely out there, getting involved in community activities, hoping to meet guys.

LOL, are you saying that the Seattle single male population are skittish? It wouldn't surprise me

Old 05-30-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigdriver View Post
LOL, are you saying that the Seattle single male population are skittish? It wouldn't surprise me
I don't know if it's that, or if it's a matter of the average Janes who show up at some of the social events don't pass muster with the average Joes. Or both, and maybe more.

OTOH, I've heard quite a bit about how some of the people who get involved in the neighborhood sports scene end up very happily coupled up. Someone posted on another thread here recently a Seattle-area organization that sets up a social-sports calendar, with a soccer and volleyball season in parks around the neighborhoods that's as much about socializing as it is for sports. (I thought it was the Parks Dept. that did that, but apparently not.) This seems to work. Meeting people through events at REI, and through recreation clubs (boating, hiking, etc.) works. These more informal settings work, vs. putting singles in a room together, and expecting them to be comfortable breaking the ice, and mixing.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
hate, hate crowds and excessive tourists.
Why consider another city then? Seattle won't be that much different.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Well, it's been a week since the OP posted, and we still don't know if the OP found any rugged, manly types in Manhattan, or if she's just projecting a stereotype onto the NW. Maybe she saw some reruns somewhere, of that pioneer-Seattle show, "Here Come The Brides"? Something tells me, that if someone did ship a few boatloads of women to Seattle, the social scene wouldn't change much at all. You'd only end up with that many more singles on the census rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area