Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM

355 posts, read 990,618 times

Advertisements

Wow....this has been quite interesting. A few comments here....

I really don't want to be mean but the women out here are not very attractive....they take the whole natural look to extremes. My daughter laughs and tells me that is great for her. She is attractive, in her 20's, but does not wear a lot of makeup. She is very natural looking but knows how to dress and loves her heels.

And as far as the aging hippy guys.....get a grip....that looked was cool back when we were young in the '70's. Now that look is creepy.

Tough Guy, first of all, I find no problem with your posts and I don't blame you for defending your town. But, I have to say that my house in FL did have a lot of character....50's ranch on a canal....original tile in the baths....terrazzo floors. There is not a house in Ballard that I would buy for the prices they ask.

And all this talk about Italians.....they have passion!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,164 times
Maybe people in your area aren't the most attractive to all peoples. (Who's to say?)Where I am now.......your population is well ahead in appearance and education. (I can't even understand some of my son's teachers because they have a very heavy southern drawl. We also have a standing joke around here. What do you call 32 women from Crestview(FL)? ans--A full set of teeth. No joke
All I have to do is go 18 miles down the road to see some of the fatest young people I've ever seen in my life. (It's a shame to see 20 year olds in this condition) At least in the PNW people enjoy the outdoors and are far more active than here in the south. The girls although they may have a pretty face are grossly overweight. At first I thought it was a generational thing...
but these young folks do absolutley nothing. So when you start to criticize the appearance of people just remember.......there's always worse. (I grew up in Alaska and am looking forward to making my way to the PNW. (that's as close as I want to get to the winters I remember)

Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
See, I had the opposite experience in Manhattan. I went there with the stereotype deeply ingrained that New Yorkers were a bunch of rude, self-centered, loud bastards, and I was surprised. They were very warm and friendly. Of course, I did live there pre-9/11, so maybe that's the difference? I'd take Manhattan over Seattle any day.

V. =)
This just goes to show that you can't take everything you read on a message board as 100% fact. Everyone has different biases that profoundly affects how they percieve their environment, and two people can have completely opposite experiences from the same external stimuli.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
New Yorkers in my opinion have a reputation that they really don't deserve.

In all the time I spent living and working in New York, I rarely ran into anybody that wasn't more than happy to give directions, etc. I was quite surprised myself…
I never said they were rude or anything like that....I just meant that you don't see tons of people in Manhattan smiling at one another or displaying cheerful looks on their faces. They are busy and focused.... that doesn't mean they are miserable just because they don't freakin smile at you when you make eye contact. I really admire that trait. Why should you have to smile at some shmo passing you by on the sidewalk that you will never see again, and you wouldn't care if he died in his sleep that same night? I would also live in Manhattan in a heartbeat if I was still single and could make ends meet.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
I purposely did this the last time I was in San Diego because so many here think that socal people are so warm and friendly and will smile and acknowledge everybody they meet on the street. I smiled and nodded to everybody I could make eye contact with and very few acknowledged me back. Some even looked at me like I was from Mars. I really could not tell any difference than if had done the same thing in Seattle.

I too thought that New Yorkers were rude, unfriendly, and abrupt. Everytime I visit NYC, I'm surprised at how warm and friendly most are there.

This brings me full-circle when I earlier said, I really don't believe that ANY major metropolitan city are full of people that are warm and friendly to a point where most acknowledge each other with a warm smile and greeting; that's typically a small town attribute whether in WA or any other state. I still contend that there's not a significant difference on how people act from one major metro area to another. Yes, there are certain regional nuances but I've never been able to see a significant difference in the way people act from one large city to another. The majority here think that it's only Seattle that has cold, rude, and unfriendly people. I contend, NOT SO.

I just saw this post in a thread in the Nevada forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/3323113-post4.html

So evidently Reno also has its own version of the "freeze." As Seattlerain has previously pointed out, one can scan this message board and find similar themed threads in just about every major city in the country.

I'm closing this thread at this point because we have received complaints of personal attacks and also we are starting to talk about the freeze again so let's move the conversation over to the "sticky" thread if further discussion is warranted.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area