Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 PM

98 posts, read 102,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Oh really, how do I feel about transplants. We know how you feel about Seattlites, how do I feel about transplant?
I didn't mean "you' singular, but "you" plural (which, I think is actually y'all, I know that what some classes teaching latin-derived languages to English speakers use as second person plural for verb conjugation)

Also, since I can laugh at myself just as easily a others can laugh at me: did you noticed that Seattle was ranked 5th most "worldly" on that link I posted?

Hehe.

Also, note (again not that the travel+ leisure site is an authority or anything, it just looks like a polling site) that visitors tend to rate the place more highly than residents do.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
y'all is actually quite a useful phrase for referring to a group of people (also, "all y'all"). I might take it with me when I move out of the South.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
y'all is actually quite a useful phrase for referring to a group of people (also, "all y'all"). I might take it with me when I move out of the South.
In PA, I think the proper term is "You-uns" for second person plural.

All y'all is funny, but contrasts well to summay'all, better clarifying.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 PM

64 posts, read 250,908 times
I always thought that y'all was basically short for "you all". This is waaay off topic!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joplinlb View Post
I always thought that y'all was basically short for "you all". This is waaay off topic!
It was kind of on point in that I was explaining to Seattlerain that I wasn't referring to him personally in an earlier response. It did sort of meander-- which, interestingly that term got its name from the river Meander in Turkey.

. . . but I digress.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM

355 posts, read 990,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
In PA, I think the proper term is "You-uns" for second person plural.

All y'all is funny, but contrasts well to summay'all, better clarifying.
Close...I think you me "younz" or "yinz"....Pgh. But it isn't the proper term....although I know people who use it....it absolutely was not allowed in my home. We "properly" say "you all".

Yes, way off topic here. I sure hope when I go out this afternoon.....I see some smiles. Tired of all this "down in the mouth" stuff. Or as we would say "dahn in the mouth".

Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
I'm confused now as to what the "proper thread" is -- seems the one you usually refer to is gone (not that it's a bad thing, I guess).

Pls advise.
It's gone, isn't it? I wonder if that was a mistake? Huh.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
I didn't mean "you' singular, but "you" plural (which, I think is actually y'all, I know that what some classes teaching latin-derived languages to English speakers use as second person plural for verb conjugation)
Interesting, I would have never thought that...

Quote:
Also, since I can laugh at myself just as easily a others can laugh at me: did you noticed that Seattle was ranked 5th most "worldly" on that link I posted?

Hehe.
Yes, I saw that, got a chuckle out of it myself...

Quote:
Also, note (again not that the travel+ leisure site is an authority or anything, it just looks like a polling site) that visitors tend to rate the place more highly than residents do.
I wonder if that isn't just human nature...?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
Close...I think you me "younz" or "yinz"....Pgh. But it isn't the proper term....although I know people who use it....it absolutely was not allowed in my home. We "properly" say "you all".

Yes, way off topic here. I sure hope when I go out this afternoon.....I see some smiles. Tired of all this "down in the mouth" stuff. Or as we would say "dahn in the mouth".

I had to laugh because the first time I ever heard "younz" was from some neighbors when I was still very young. I remember having to ask my mother what it meant. Interestingly the neighbors were originally from Pittsburgh.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I had to laugh because the first time I ever heard "younz" was from some neighbors when I was still very young. I remember having to ask my mother what it meant. Interestingly the neighbors were originally from Pittsburgh.
We have our own language there, alot of it was no allow to be used in my house growing up, but my hubby says yinz and I cringe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area