Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
One thing to keep in mind about taxation is the total burden from state to state varies less than the individual burden from state to state. For example, poor people in WA state pay a very high % of their income in state taxes, and rich people in WA state pay very little. In other states, the dynamic is opposite or tilted toward high income people paying a much greater % of their income in tax than lower incomes.

WA taxes are basically all regressive, and many of the ancillary fees are fairly easily avoidable by people with means. B&O tax is easily evaded by many...hell MICROSOFT does not pay B&O tax, and never has. The ST3/Seattle area car tax can be avoided by registering a car outside of the ST3 zone, which again, people with the means to maintain or produce multiple residences can legally avoid (and in other cases use ambiguity to avoid).
I've posted this before, but it bears repeating: the liberals that run this place could easily enact progressive (i.e. rich pay a higher pct. of income) if they wished. How about a hefty excise tax on high end art, jewelry, wine, cheese, party catering, etc.? They could do any of those things w/o a state income tax.

But their tax proposals are invariably regressive (poor pay a higher pct). In fact, the head tax that was recently passed and then repealed in Seattle was atrociously regressive because of the structure.

//www.city-data.com/forum/51857742-post20.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 1,703 times
Default Corrupt Tax spending

Taxes are a joke. Politicians are spending money that is not theirs to spend. I have first hand knowledge how contracts are not scrutinized and awarded to companies or contractors who are friends or relatives and or who gives the govt workers the most kickback.

I worked for a contractor. I watched us waste tax payers money. We wined and dined the politicians and then in return we were grossly overpaid for the poor quality work we performed. All govt spending could be cut at least in half if properly bid and controlled. It really is a swamp. Have you ever noticed how govt employees are multi-millionaires with an annual income of less than $130K per year. Bet you can't do that.

It is odd to me how most people will run all over town or search the internet to be certain they get the merchandise for the lowest cost possible. Some drive hundreds of miles to save some tax dollars. Yet these same people do not question how their tax dollars are spent. We have criminals spending our tax dollars. Or should I say wasting our tax dollars. I say all of us should do everything in our power to vote out the crooks and to avoid paying taxes at all costs. They are ripping us off!

I personally buy nothing in Washington that I do not have to. I drive an old car (cheap) and I keep my good car, good house and expensive boat in Alaska and Oregon.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:13 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
poor people in WA state pay a very high % of their income in state taxes, and rich people in WA state pay very little
I've been trying to nail down the basis for that statement for 20 years. Best I can find is that the reason the lowest quintile pays such a high percentage of their income in taxes is becaise they get free housing, free medical care, free childcare, free food, free or reduced transportation, the the taxes on cigarettes and booze are very high, which is where a large proportion of their income goes.

I was low-income for many years. No sales tax on food, medicine, child care, rent,utilities, insurance, student debt, yard sale items (which is where I buy our clothes, toys, and furniture). The ONLY things that are taxed are gas (don't do a lot of driving, maybe $5/month in gas taxes), shopping mall stuff (very seldom go to the malls), restaurants (which I seldom used) , and soap and non-food items at the grocery store. I spent a very small percent of my income on sales tax.

If you spend a lot of your income on shopping at the mall, or buying new stuff on line, or big-ticket, taxable items, I don't consider you "poor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area