Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM

764 posts, read 507,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

A relative will first fly from Atlanta hartfeld jackson int'l airport to Seattle Tacoma int'l airport (exit from North Satelite at gate N10 upon landing) and then take another flight with HNA from South Satelite at gate S30 to fly back to Shanghai. He does not speak English and has only about 1 hour between first flight landing and the second flight to take off).

So, what's the easiest way for him to get from North Satelite at gate 10 (N10) to South Satelite at gate 3 (S3)?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There is an underground train that runs constantly, probably no more than 5-6 minutes. You do have to go down the escalator and back up, and there is a lot of construction going on now, (adding 8 gates to the North Satellite and a second south satellite) that may cause some delays.

https://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/...-Overview.aspx

Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Transit_System
Not familiar with the SEA system. Never had to transfer.
LOL, if your friend is Chinese and he is familiar with PVG, he shouldn't have any problems with SEA. I got lost at PVR and it is a miracle that I was able to meet with my contact. Another time in Shanghai, I was told one thing and the taxi driver was told another thing. Another miracle in the meetup. If all fails your friend will find another Chinese at SEA to help him out.

Last year I was picking up my son and wife 9pm-ish, and a retired Chinese was touring the US. Not a word of English. Wife and son speaks Chinese and we were able to get him to settled in at the International Hostel-August? He was lucky that he he found us. We were able to secure him a bed on very short notice and in August. We did offer to host him and pay for the night at the hostel.

Good luck in making the connection. I'd make a plan B for a missed connection. One night at the International Hostel-at International District (Chinatown) across the street from the LINK airport train.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 PM

@hamlock140 & @leastprime, thank you both.

Yeah, i did some research about the seattle tacoma airpoart's SEA system as well, they have 3 routes, and yes, leastprime, it would be good that we can find other Chinese traveler who speaks English at the airport...

P.S. Odd, the obvious 'How to' became "Where to" in the title and the 'S3' has become 'S30', or oops typos.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 PM

One hour is cutting the connection pretty close, even at midday. Hainan Airlines may leave late from the gate, unless there is another plane spotted. However, from Atlanta there all types of reasons for not getting off the ground.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 AM

@leastprime, are you saying that HNA may delay departure time? Do they usually delay their departure time?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 AM

No, I am not saying HNA will delay for late arrivals. It however may delay for late arrivals or for other reasons. I have no idea what is their practice. One factor that may delay HNA , is customs. Unless there is a need for the gate time, HNA has the incentive to delay as long as possible to board all paying customers who have a refundable ticket-nonrefundable ticketed passengers travel at their own risk. HNA can make up time in the air, they got 12 hours to do so. A connecting flight from ATL does not have the time and space to catchup lost time.

One hour between arrival and departure is mighty close considering that walk-distance times, customs, baggage collection and customs, and boarding gate closure 5-10 minutes before actual departure time.

Last edited by leastprime; 06-29-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 09:37 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
Here is a map of the terminal transit system.

Three train rides are required - one from the north satellite to the main terminal, one from the north end of the main terminal to the south end, and the last from the main terminal to the south satellite.

The published minimum connection time between Alaska Airlines (which I assume he's using for ATL-SEA) and Hainan Airlines at Seattle is 1h 10m, and I assume that's the time he has. If he has any less, or if these flights are on separately purchased tickets, then I'd immediately look at taking an earlier flight from Atlanta, even if it means paying a change fee. If they're on one ticket I wouldn't be too concerned, although I'd still be tempted to take an earlier plane from Atlanta. Weather happens.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 PM

@Gardyloo, thank you for the excellent map of the Seattle Tacoma airport terminal though I have found a similar one but its resolution were no where as good as yours and for your insights.

Yes, it's one ticket and I'll suggest to him to walk from N10 to the main terminal ( I'd assume 5 to 10 minutes walk ) and then, take the Orange line to main terminal ( 5 minutes -- one direction, one stop, no room for mistake), and then walk to the South terminal (S3) ( another 5 to 10 minutes walk ).

I'll also print out a clear instructions requesting people at the airport to help him and have him carry it with him in case of need.

@leastprime, thank you for your insight as well.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:28 PM

@Gardyloo,
any idea if the green line and blue line goes in clockwise direction? Or bidirectional?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: