Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

DS gave up using his bike. I think he thought it was just too dangerous. I think it was because he wanted another 30 minutes of sleep (10 on the bus) and that Orca is provided to him. Last year my bike and his was stolen. He says just use the rental bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Bike commuting has skyrocketed in recent years. This seems to be a mix of younger people and also people in their 40s-60s. In my office several are in the latter category.

As for putting a bike on the bus rack, that's probably most people's plan, not "giving up." Some do it to get up a hill, some do it to cut 20 miles off their trip, and some bus to work and ride home.

PS the new 520 Bridge bike lane seems to be very well used.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 AM

301 posts, read 312,182 times
Hey, we are millennials who moved a couple months ago and I just want to stop by to make sure someone has already mentioned rain, tsunamis, volcanoes, traffic, etc. Oh and also *pronounced with NYC accent* foooood is bad and there is nothing to do.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Every job isn’t technology. True for technology people. But for the middle class, it’s better to make 50k in the middle of the country than 75k here, in my opinion.
What jobs would there be in small, undiscovered towns in the middle of the country? In sufficient numbers for all those Millennials?

Old 07-07-2018, 01:56 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
Hey, we are millennials who moved a couple months ago and I just want to stop by to make sure someone has already mentioned rain, tsunamis, volcanoes, traffic, etc. Oh and also *pronounced with NYC accent* foooood is bad and there is nothing to do.
I want more and more to move in because it’s great for my property values, but even I’ll say the food here really is awful, especially when you factor in the crazy restaurant prices and atrocious service and typically terrible restaurant amenities (too hot, too cold, sitting on upside down milk crates, etc)

Old 07-07-2018, 01:57 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
With no car, no cable/satellite or TV, no Internet (just mobile), no kids, no vacations, no (new) clothes, skipping college (take a coding course), banning Christmas, urban farming, cooking from scratch, and poly-amorous living arrangements (three to a bed!), how much money could they save? $20k? $30k? More?

Old 07-07-2018, 04:16 PM

301 posts, read 312,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
With no car, no cable/satellite or TV, no Internet (just mobile), no kids, no vacations, no (new) clothes, skipping college (take a coding course), banning Christmas, urban farming, cooking from scratch, and poly-amorous living arrangements (three to a bed!), how much money could they save? $20k? $30k? More?
Probably significantly more. We are saving that in a fraction of year and out of the things that you listed, we have only “no kids” going for us (which is not to be discounted of course considering how much baby care costs).

Old 07-08-2018, 12:57 AM

240 posts, read 195,208 times
I am a millenial and clearly see why others are flocking here inspite of the relatively higher housing price. It's not just about the majestic mountain ranges and beautiful puget sound..For a starter the job market here is great for the modern tech based economy, whether it's software engineering ( Amazon, Microsoft, Expedia, Tableau, F5 etc.), aerospace ( Boeing, Blue origin) or bio tech ( Seattle Genetics, Juno etc.) Secondly there is no state tax and property tax is lower than most major metros such as Chicago, Dallas. Even traffic is not as bad if one compares it to LA, Atlanta or DC area..Finally, i personally love the cloudy but milder weather.

With growth of asia, Seattle should continue to rise being a west coast city, same way east coast cities benefitted from european connection earlier on..

Old 07-14-2018, 01:01 PM

438 posts, read 376,154 times
I'm a Seattle raised millenial and although Seattle isn't my main choice to raise my future family it defilitly makes sense as a career minded person to spend your career youth here. I'm not in technology or any of the engineering career tracks, but my business depends on the younger talent that those jobs attract. Therefor my own business is able to florish in ways I wouldn't see in other less millenial heavy cities.

It goes beyond business too; before working on my own I found that the fact Seattle had a younger workforce helped me find a job somewhere in the city pretty fast. It wasn't always the best or prettiest jobs, but a person can easily find something if they really need to and when you're starting off with no experience having a wide range of entry jobs like those in Seattle can help get your foot in the door for some big opportunities (it's more common to see younger managers at Starbucks and retail stores here compared to elsewhere and lot's of folks can get into places like Amazon or Tableau by simply making positive social connections)

All these things alongside the feeling of nature everywhere you turn (mountains surround you, you can't escape trees even on the highway, better air quality compared to most large cities) and the fact you know that your guaranteed to have people in your peer group represented in the city make Seattle a place any young person would love to live in while their developing their career and starting the most stressful time in their life.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM

240 posts, read 195,208 times
New study ranks Seattle as America's best big city to live in

by KOMO Staff

Sigma Sreedharan Photography

A new study released Monday ranks Seattle as the nation's best big city to live in.

The report, by personal finance website WalletHub, compared the 62 largest U.S. cities based on 56 key indicators of attractiveness, from the quality of public schools and life expectancy to job opportunities and property taxes.
When all of these factors were combined, Seattle came out with the highest overall score. The study's authors say this shows the Emerald City's ability to tackle its problems and emphasize its strengths more efficiently than other cities.
The study found that Seattle is first in the nation for income growth and access to public transportation, and sixth in the nation for its quality of life.
The city scored above average in several other areas as well, including its job opportunities, air quality and walkability.
But the city didn't score well in all areas.
Seattle's housing affordability is worse than average, the study found, and the city's public hospital system and park system were only about average. Violent crime is a problem in Seattle as well, the study found.
Other large cities with high scores were No. 2, Virginia Beach, Va.; No. 3, Austin, Texas; No. 4, San Francisco; and No.5, San Diego, Calif.

http://komonews.com/news/local/new-s...ity-to-live-in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area