Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:46 PM

240 posts, read 195,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Unsolvable homeless problem? In case you noticed many today want to be homeless...it's a modern day lifestyle. They have zero desire to work. Why would you want to work when you have free shi_? It's an issue that isn't solvable because the problem (homeless people) don't want to be productive citizens but rather freeload and use drugs all day long.

Seattle has wasted tens of millions of dollars and the issue has only gotten worse. LOL! But here's the stickler....Seattle has recently said they can solve the problem but they will need another 50+ million to do it.

Suckers!

And they just banned straws & plastic utensils. Oh brother can we not get anymore stupid.
I think you misread my post I said it's not an unsolvable problem. Also, at a macro level it doesn't have much to do with modern lifestyle, otherwise one would see the homelessness issue in relatively inexpensive cities such as Spokane as well, which is not the case. The issue is more prevalent in cities like SF and Seattle where housing has increased exponentially in the last decade.

The solution to this multi fold but for a starter Seattle city needs to be up zoned, with more highrise condos/apartments instead of single family homes in city border to bring the cost of housing in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 AM

120 posts, read 101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post
I think you misread my post I said it's not an unsolvable problem. Also, at a macro level it doesn't have much to do with modern lifestyle, otherwise one would see the homelessness issue in relatively inexpensive cities such as Spokane as well, which is not the case. The issue is more prevalent in cities like SF and Seattle where housing has increased exponentially in the last decade.

The solution to this multi fold but for a starter Seattle city needs to be up zoned, with more highrise condos/apartments instead of single family homes in city border to bring the cost of housing in general.

They go where they get free stuff. Not much free stuff in Spokane (not as liberal). Seattle with single family homes? LOL!

Highrise condos are not family friendly and also equate to big money.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post

The prescriptions of both the Far Right (No Housing/Shelter) and the Far Left (A "House" for Everyone) are idealogically jiggered, distorting the truth and ignoring wide swaths of reality. Yes, there is a hard core of the homeless who are effectively "unhousable", due to refusing services/shelter and treatment/therapy, as well as criminals who hide among the homeless, but there are also many individuals and families who have been priced out of housing, as wages fall further and further behind an escalating cost of living. Losing housing can lead to job-loss, just as job-loss can lead to losing housing. Credit problems and minor infractions can be further barriers to housing, even if employed.

While we've been adding lots of "luxury" apartments for professionals/elites and subsidized apartments for the poor, the supply of affordable "workforce" housing continues to shrink. We need to use up-zoning as an incentive for developers to 1) develop affordable "workforce" housing and 2) replace affordable housing that is cannibalized by their developments.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 AM

One of the attractions of Seattle to Millennials is that living without a car is very possible within many parts of the city. Dumping the car can easily save $500-750/month that would otherwise go towards paying for loan payments, insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel, parking, tolls, etc. Save another $100 on the cost of a monthly transit pass, if you can live within walking or bicycling distance from work. Dump cable TV and easily save another $100. Shop at thrift and consignment stores and save another $100.

That's upwards of $1,000/month in savings that can instead be spent on higher rent, cafes, bars, live music, uber, Car2Go, cell phone, unlimited data plan, Netflix/Hulu, Amazon Prime, dating app, etc.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
^good point, it used to be living without a car in Seattle was a no-go, these days however that’s changing and with more light rail and stuff I expect that trend to continue, we’ve got a ways to go but it’s a step in the right direction.

Also as a millennial myself, a lot of the high tech companies in Seattle also allow a lot of virtual work, which is definitely an attractive thing

Old 07-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
One of the attractions of Seattle to Millennials is that living without a car is very possible within many parts of the city. Dumping the car can easily save $500-750/month that would otherwise go towards paying for loan payments, insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel, parking, tolls, etc. Save another $100 on the cost of a monthly transit pass, if you can live within walking or bicycling distance from work. Dump cable TV and easily save another $100. Shop at thrift and consignment stores and save another $100.

That's upwards of $1,000/month in savings that can instead be spent on higher rent, cafes, bars, live music, uber, Car2Go, cell phone, unlimited data plan, Netflix/Hulu, Amazon Prime, dating app, etc.
In a city with hills everywhere. LOL! The city has tried already on more than 1 occasion to spread bike usage and it's failed miserably. Fact is cars are here to stay.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:26 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Homelessness is even prevalent in Salem, OR (150,000). Fortunately or unfortunately we have social services both public and private that help perpetuate the problem. We also have a greenway along the Willamette River which is actually a campground for the pseudo-homeless.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
In a city with hills everywhere. LOL! The city has tried already on more than 1 occasion to spread bike usage and it's failed miserably. Fact is cars are here to stay.
Lots of people live on Capitol Hill, First Hill, or in Lower Queen Anne/Belltown and walk to work in Downtown Seattle or SLU. Check out all the people trudging up Pike-Pine after 5pm. I've seen a good number of people bicycling to and from work along the BAT lanes in the 15th/Elliott corridor. Walking/bicycling can save the cost of a fitness center membership ($20-50)

I'm just pointing out that moving within walking/bicycling distance of work can save the cost of a monthly transit pass (~$100/mo). Dumping the car, however, represents by far the biggest savings. If you feel owning a car is essential for you, fine. You are free to choose to live where you want to live, if you can afford it.

Capitol Hill was developed in the streetcar era - many apartment buildings up there don't have off-street parking. Residents on the Hill with cars often have to park four or five blocks from where they live. Owning a car there, certainly in the Pike-Pine and Broadway corridors, can be a major pain in the behind.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Lots of people live on Capitol Hill, First Hill, or in Lower Queen Anne/Belltown and walk to work in Downtown Seattle or SLU. Check out all the people trudging up Pike-Pine after 5pm. I've seen a good number of people bicycling to and from work along the BAT lanes in the 15th/Elliott corridor. Walking/bicycling can save the cost of a fitness center membership ($20-50)

I'm just pointing out that moving within walking/bicycling distance of work can save the cost of a monthly transit pass (~$100/mo). Dumping the car, however, represents by far the biggest savings. If you feel owning a car is essential for you, fine. You are free to choose to live where you want to live, if you can afford it.

Capitol Hill was developed in the streetcar era - many apartment buildings up there don't have off-street parking. Residents on the Hill with cars often have to park four or five blocks from where they live. Owning a car there, certainly in the Pike-Pine and Broadway corridors, can be a major pain in the behind.
Yes, but I also routinely see them throwing their bikes on the front end rack of a bus saying...."To hell with this". LOL! If one is hoping to encourage rampant bike use Seattle is not the city of encouragement. LA perhaps but Seattle no.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I also routinely see them throwing their bikes on the front end rack of a bus saying...."To hell with this". LOL! If one is hoping to encourage rampant bike use Seattle is not the city of encouragement. LA perhaps but Seattle no.

I think you are mistaking my comment as some kind of pro-bicycle/anti-car diatribe. I'm merely pointing out that moving within walking or bicycling distance is one, but far from the most significant, way that Millennials can cut costs to afford to live in a dense high-COL urban environment.

I'm neither encouraging nor discouraging bicycle use, rampant or otherwise. I am in favor of having choices, however - where safe and convenient bicycle routes are available, bicyclists will use them (see the Burke-Gilman Trail). When a bicyclist chooses to use a bus bike-rack, I'm just seeing them combining two modes of transportation, rather than opting to use a car - if the bus is an electric trolleybus, neither mode is adding carbon emissions to the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area