Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The climate hasn't changed that much. I think the difference is the imports from TX and CA and elsewhere who are used to having it.

People from sunnier climates are less used to heat than we are. Because they aren't out in it when it's hot.
The climate is in the process of changing, though, with the freak heat waves that have been happening, and their increasing frequency. For example, it never used to be hot in late May/June, but in the last 8-10 years, there have been a few doozies in that period. And then there was last year, whit that huge heat wave later in the summer. I know a few people who were born and raised in Seattle, who have shopped for A/C units of one sort or another, this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 PM

305 posts, read 655,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Day before yesterday it was 91 by my outside thermometer. We have a week of temps in the mid-80s coming up. I've been here almost six years and still see people telling newcomers that it's only hot a few days a year. I'm sorry, but it's HOT here in summer, usually all summer, and I don't understand why we can't just accept that and be comfortable in AC.

Of course, when I mentioned in another thread that it was over 100 degrees last August, a poster here told me I was an alcoholic on pills. Denying the heat is almost like a badge of honor or something. It's bizarre.
I use my portable AC for the bedroom daily for at least 8 weeks every summer. 2 large west facing windows, even with blackout curtains it gets over 90 in there.

My daughter's bedroom on the other hand faces north and is in the basement, don't need AC there.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 AM

188 posts, read 596,959 times
You definitely need an A/C to keep the room at relatively stable temperature. Most newer buildings have it. This area has no storage of old, low quality buildings.
The interior temperature might be quite different from temperature outside.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,215 times
Exclamation A/c

I don't know of any apartments that come with A/C. It's cold in Seattle nine months out of the year. It doesn't get hot here until July and August, then starts to cool down around the third week of September. Now with that stated, who would need A/C installed?
What is more popular are free standing air conditioners. I would like to get one myself, but wouldn't like getting $200 electricity bills in the summertime from EvilCorpPower, AKA PSE

Old 07-17-2018, 08:56 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
3 of my places had A/C, not standing or window units. So there are plenty that have A/C. Came in handy too. 90s in the PNW is simply not comfortable. Yes it's gets cooler at night but every place I've lived vented the heat poorly. Which is good in winter of course but pretty awful in July.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
As I show homes around the region, I'm seeing more and more places with AC, especially new construction. Most people believe there is a long term warming trend in the weather.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Our window AC in the bedroom has been up for a couple of weeks now, and Saturday I installed the one in the family room after it hit 90 outside, and 76 inside. We have had 2 of them for about 10 years now. For me even one week of 95 or more is well worth the few hundred that a small 6,000-10,000 BTU unit costs.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I don't know of any apartments that come with A/C. It's cold in Seattle nine months out of the year. It doesn't get hot here until July and August, then starts to cool down around the third week of September. Now with that stated, who would need A/C installed?
What is more popular are free standing air conditioners. I would like to get one myself, but wouldn't like getting $200 electricity bills in the summertime from EvilCorpPower, AKA PSE
Many apt. buildings have electric baseboard heat, so there's no way to add A/C, except for Window units. There's no central heating, so there can be no central air. And most likely, the wiring of those buildings wouldn't be able to handle dozens of window-units.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Many apt. buildings have electric baseboard heat, so there's no way to add A/C, except for Window units. There's no central heating, so there can be no central air. And most likely, the wiring of those buildings wouldn't be able to handle dozens of window-units.
And window-units in many cases can't be installed in modern windows (sliding and pop-out). Installing window-units in ground floor windows can also create a security hazard.

I manage fairly well using fans, including a double fan where the air-flow for each side can be independently reversed. The key is to create air-flow, if possible, between the cooler(shadier) and hotter (sunnier) sides/parts of the apartment/house/building, pulling cooler air in and venting hotter air out.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:46 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The climate is in the process of changing, though, with the freak heat waves that have been happening, and their increasing frequency. For example, it never used to be hot in late May/June, but in the last 8-10 years, there have been a few doozies in that period. And then there was last year, whit that huge heat wave later in the summer. I know a few people who were born and raised in Seattle, who have shopped for A/C units of one sort or another, this summer.
This times a thousand!

OP, most of the older apartment buildings in Seattle (including the one I live in) lack A/C, because historically, it was very rare that you needed A/C here. Now it seems like every summer we get a heat wave or two into the 90's, and many days in the low to mid 80's (i.e - the peak of the comfort zone for most).

If you end up in a place without A/C, you may want to consider minimizing/avoiding cooking, or escaping to an air conditioned restaurant or bar when it gets into the 90's. That's what I do to beat the heat at least .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area